Bittorrent Connection Remaining Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bittorrent Connection Remaining Open

So this evening I sat down to download some things off of BT. Since my tin foil hat is so stylish, I had PeerGuardian up to block certain nasty IP addresses. Eventually I needed to free up some system resources so I closed azureus.

I happened to leave PeerGuardian open and noticed that I was still getting a lot of requests even though the client was closed. I rebooted, fired up PeerGuardian again, and the requests are still coming in.

Does anyone know why these would still be coming in?
    jur1st, esq.

Originally posted by jur1st
    So this evening I sat down to download some things off of BT. Since my tin foil hat is so stylish, I had PeerGuardian up to block certain nasty IP addresses. Eventually I needed to free up some system resources so I closed azureus.

I happened to leave PeerGuardian open and noticed that I was still getting a lot of requests even though the client was closed. I rebooted, fired up PeerGuardian again, and the requests are still coming in.

Does anyone know why these would still be coming in?
    It is part of the protocol. In order for peers to find you, when you check in, your IP address is stored and offered to peers as a potential source.

How long does your IP address get cached by the node you reported it? Depends. How long do clients that have downloaded from you before, or received your IP address as a source, continue to check you for more data after they no longer get results from you? That depends on the client.

Effectively, what is being done is something called polling. [Can you hear me now?]

Try a google search for "explain how bittorrent works" to better understand this.

Comment

Excellent...thanks as always.
      jur1st, esq.

Comment

Working...
      X