Trying to find DNS RFC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to find DNS RFC

I have recently run across a couple of folks stating that it is functional to specify a URL as the root record for a domain name instead of an A. I've been looking around through DNS RFCs for a bit trying to find the current specification for exactly what is/isn't allowed for the root record..

Any suggestions for those that have them memorized? Any recommendations on search phrasing for expediting my hunt?
    if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Originally posted by converge
    I have recently run across a couple of folks stating that it is functional to specify a URL as the root record for a domain name instead of an A. I've been looking around through DNS RFCs for a bit trying to find the current specification for exactly what is/isn't allowed for the root record..

Any suggestions for those that have them memorized? Any recommendations on search phrasing for expediting my hunt?
    My old copy of O'Reilly's DNS and Bind shows the following RFCs in the Index:
    RFC 1035
    RFC 1183
    RFC 1664
    Those may not be current, but they may help you find the any that supersede them.
    Thorn
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

yeah, I'm reading through 1035 atm, 1183 and 1664 didn't seem to have pertinant data.. but I know that 1035 has been updated considerably so not sure if turning it upside down will yeild the answer I want.
      if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

A address Textual Representation is RFC1035, page 20 according to D&B, but I don't think know if that's exactly what you want.
        Thorn
        "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

This would be a good place to look:

http://www.dns.net/dnsrd/rfc/ probobly towards the bottom.
          Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

TCP Illustrated has a great interpretation and implementation examples of the DNS RFC
            "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

Working...
            X