Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorola Surfboard

Hello...
    I have a Motorola SBV5120 cable modem with DOCSIS 2.0 bla bla bla, through wich i connect to the internet, now i heard that some of the modems motorola builds have a console administration thingy, and i even found some tools that claimed to help me uncap it, and boost my speed up to incredbile speeds... bullsh*it, they would catch me in 20 minutes... my question is: "do cable modems (the sbv5120 especially) have local administration console (or smth) turned on, and if yes, how would one gain access to it?"

PS: I had a problem with my internet connection once and called my ISP to ask him if my modem's MAC adress was syncronized with the server's; they jumed on me saying stuff like: That's confidential! What server? What MAC adress? It doesen't work like that Were they tryin' to confuse me? I know cable modems work similiar to this scheme:

MODEM sends MAC ADRESS/SERIAL NUMBER then the SERVER compares them to the ones stored, if OK gives USER internet.

Is it not? how does it work?
    BY ACCEPTING THIS BRICK THROUGH YOUR WINDOW, YOU ACCEPT IT AS IS AND AGREE TO MY DISCLAIMER OF ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, AS WELL AS DISCLAIMERS OF ALL LIABILITY, DIRECT, INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL, THAT MAY ARISE FROM THE INSTALLATION OF THIS BRICK INTO YOUR BUILDING.

Yes, that's how it works. The Tech support guy was a moron.

I am tired right now, and my stomach hurts, but I promise tomarrow I will have some information, once I can take my mind off my stomach, heh.

[edit]Ok, now that I am awake, and my stomach is not killing me...Gas-X is a wonderful drug.

Ok, some general information:
    Yes, the MAC Address/Serial Number is sent to the server, which reads these numbers and checks it to a log of stored accounts. Let's say you use Cox. You can connect the modem to any Cox cable outlet and get online, so long as that person's account is active and your internet account is active. Some servers are set to check the MAC/Serial at intervals, and some only check upon connection, then don't check again until modem attempts connection again. Depends on the company.

That tech support guy reminds me of someone I once talked to who claimed to be a SEAL. I asked them what team he was currently on and what his BUD/s class number was. He said "I can't tell you that! That's confidential! If I told you, someone could find me!" My question to him was..."Well, if you walk around claiming you are a SEAL, doesn't that make you just as big of a target?" I think the same applies here. The idiot did not want to share common information, was most likely new...or was filling in for someone and was not real tech support(as I suspect with that "SEAL" I talked to, not being a real SEAL.)

Now, about checking your modem for that information? 192.168.100.1 is the IP. You can either put that into your web browser or use telnet. If you connect through the browser, it will pretty much only let you view the modem, whereas if you connect through telnet it will let you configure things.

That's as far as I go with you though. Changing information in there will mean you may have to reset your modem and/or may mean your account is temp. suspended. There is software that allows you to make your modem go as fast as it can without breaching any agreements with your ISP, but I leave you to find that on google.
    Last edited by Ridirich; November 27, 2005, 11:47.
    -Ridirich

"When you're called upon to do anything, and you're not ready to do it, then you've failed."

Commander W.H. Hamilton

Comment

10x a lot... with that info i was able to find out alot on google , the console works, but my ISP doesen't offer web browser diagnostic stuff, and ofcourse they've got the console password protected , although, the only protection against cracking software seemes to be the disconnection of the user after a failed attempt and considering it's a local 100 MBps connection u could easily use a custom cracker... or a simple telnet/rlogin one with multiple threads . I'm curious what could be on the other side of the password, but considering the fact they could cut my connection for good if they catch me messing around, i better not

PS: Software to boost my internet connection legally? i have a 512 kb cap on my internet package... don't think i can do much better than that... legally
      BY ACCEPTING THIS BRICK THROUGH YOUR WINDOW, YOU ACCEPT IT AS IS AND AGREE TO MY DISCLAIMER OF ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, AS WELL AS DISCLAIMERS OF ALL LIABILITY, DIRECT, INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL, THAT MAY ARISE FROM THE INSTALLATION OF THIS BRICK INTO YOUR BUILDING.

Comment

By boost, I mean you have a much higher chance at staying at the cap and the ping is decreased, compared to leaving it standard.

In telnet usually the password is left blank, is admin or 1234.
        -Ridirich

"When you're called upon to do anything, and you're not ready to do it, then you've failed."

Commander W.H. Hamilton

Comment

Hmm... there seems to be something wrong with the way my modem authentificates the user in the console:
          I used putty to create a connection to 192.168.100.1 and it asked for a username, so i tried admin, but when i pressed the ENTER key it automatically added a char in my password field and said Incorrect or invalid password.
          I found this about CISCO products:
          When the cable interface on the cable modem is not initialized, console and Telnet access to the cable modem function as on any other Cisco router. However, once the modem achieves online status and the cable interface is initialized, console access is disabled automatically following a new configuration that is downloaded into the cable modem through the DOCSIS configuration file.
          Is it applied to the Surboard? I can only acces this if i disconnect my modem`s coaxial cable?

EDIT: Found it: As far as retreiving the Web Server pages on the Surfboad, on thing you can do is assign your NIC card any Static IP, 255.255.255.0 Netmask, 192.168.100.1 Gateway. Then point your web browser to http://192.168.100.1/ That should make the modem talk to you, and for you to get to the Signal Screen and see whats going on.
          Last edited by ^Dash^; November 27, 2005, 16:31.

Comment

Originally posted by ^Dash^
            Hmm... there seems to be something wrong with the way my modem authentificates the user in the console:
            I used putty to create a connection to 192.168.100.1 and it asked for a username, so i tried admin, but when i pressed the ENTER key it automatically added a char in my password field and said Incorrect or invalid password.
            I found this about CISCO products:

Is it applied to the Surboard? I can only acces this if i disconnect my modem`s coaxial cable?

EDIT: Found it: As far as retreiving the Web Server pages on the Surfboad, on thing you can do is assign your NIC card any Static IP, 255.255.255.0 Netmask, 192.168.100.1 Gateway. Then point your web browser to http://192.168.100.1/ That should make the modem talk to you, and for you to get to the Signal Screen and see whats going on.
            Thats because remote administration is not on.
            Less is more stay pure stay poor....

Comment

Wouldn't that mean that the telnet port should be closed? I mean why would they leave it open and add a crappy protection like that? I didn't have time to do what i said in the EDIT line, but i'll try it ASAP and let you know.

Comment

Working...
              X