Moterola Mx240a Mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moterola Mx240a Mods

Ive been trying to mod the moterola mx240a (its a small wireless messenger for AIM that comes with an USB anntena for wireless Aim around your house.) I cant seem to get any where, but I did find a forum devoted to moding it.(http://teknikill.net/bbs/index.php) They havent gotten anywhere either. I was wondering if anyone has ona these things and if you could give me some pointers.

Originally posted by zoasterboy
    Ive been trying to mod the moterola mx240a (its a small wireless messenger for AIM that comes with an USB anntena for wireless Aim around your house.) I cant seem to get any where, but I did find a forum devoted to moding it.(http://teknikill.net/bbs/index.php) They havent gotten anywhere either. I was wondering if anyone has ona these things and if you could give me some pointers.
    How about the "e" key is six keys from the "o" and two from the "a".
    If there is a Church of WiFi, then this is it's !

Comment

say what!?!?!?

Comment

say what!?!?!?
        Probably a comment about this:
        Ive been trying to mod the moterola mx240a
        vs.:
        I've been trying to mod the Motorola mx240a
        Where the letter "e" in "moterola" should be an "o" to build "motorola" and the rest being a comment on the distance in letters between an "e" key and an "o" key on a conventional QWERTY-style keyboard.

An implied suggestion from kree may be something like this:
        "It helps to have the product manufacturer and model number properly spelled when conducting searches with search engines to generate desired results."

There may be more to kree's reply. If so, you will have to wait for kree's response to find out.

Comment

Yup, hit it on the head there cot.
          If there is a Church of WiFi, then this is it's !

Comment

What kind of mod are you looking for? i.e., What would you like it to do? I would first try to get my hands on the schematics of the device, possibly in the owners manual, i.e., most Motorola equipment that I've dealt with I've been able to get the schematics, either from Motorola, or from the internet (Google). Second, is it possible to do a software mod? (schematic will tell you if you can do hardware mod). What sort of memory is on it?
            Do you want it to xmit/receive on a different freq.? i.e. setup your own 'private' wireless network. Or, just really encrypt your messages more?
            I know I didn't answer your question, but just wanted you to think about what you want to do, sometimes one can answer their own question by asking another.
            I got a .45 and a shovel, and I ain't afraid to use either.

Comment

Originally posted by bpitt
              most Motorola equipment that I've dealt with I've been able to get the schematics, either from Motorola, or from the internet (Google).
              True, but I wouldn't necessarily count on being able to do so in this case. It's disposable-grade consumer hardware that's cheaper to replace outright than fix when it breaks. I ran into this some years back with an FRS radio that had taken some internal damage: called Motorola (who were very helpful, I should add) and found that they don't have anything other than the internal engineering drawings for stuff in that class.

Comment

I opened it up and found some info on a lot of the hardware components via goooogle.

BTW: The reason I want to mod this device is because it has a lot more potential than just talking to my friends on AIM. When it first boots, it shows a screen that says,” Choose your service" and the only selection is AIM. I checked the Motorola site and they said that’s all they have going for it right now. The only part of the program that is directly stored on the mx240a is the core OS. Everything else (settings, friend list etc.) is drawn from the computer. If I could find out how the computer is sending and receiving from the device, and how when it first boots it decides that there are different services to choose from, I could write programs that let me check my mail, get on MSN or Yahoo messengers, by choosing a separate selection on the startup screen.

Comment

I could write programs that let me check my mail, get on MSN or Yahoo messengers, by choosing a separate selection on the startup screen.
                  Not to discourage you from doing this, but what's the point when most cellphones can handle Internet access?

Comment

Because of a certain issue I like to call, "Minutes". Also I like to have my good ol' qwerty key pad. Finaly, ITS JUST FOR FUN! Not completley for functionality.

Comment

Because of a certain issue I like to call, "Minutes".
                      Odd. I've got unlimited Internet connectivity for $20/month; doesn't eat into my minutes at all.

Also I like to have my good ol' qwerty key pad.
                      Also available in cellular.

Finaly, ITS JUST FOR FUN! Not completley for functionality.
                      That's fair enough; I can see the point of doing something just for the hell of it. Out of curiosity, what's this thing using for a processor? Also, what's the FCC ID#?

Comment

Originally posted by skroo
                        Odd. I've got unlimited Internet connectivity for $20/month; doesn't eat into my minutes at all
                        man, what provider offers that, if i may ask? long ago i used to have an option on my sprintpcs account where i could use all of my minutes (of which i had an assload) as internet minutes at no markup. that offer is now aparently gone, and all my wireless web traffic comes at a premium price.
                        "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                        - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
                          man, what provider offers that, if i may ask? long ago i used to have an option on my sprintpcs account where i could use all of my minutes (of which i had an assload) as internet minutes at no markup.
                          T-Mobile, and I believe you can add it to any plan over 500 minutes per month. Right now I've got 1500 minutes plus data and it runs around $70/month or so, which is pretty reasonable. Just FYI, this doesn't give you hotspot access and you're limited to EDGE speeds for now - but it is real, unfiltered intarweb access (unlike their GPRS service which only seems to allow http and https outbound). The speeds aren't broadband fast (dual-BRI ISDN is probably the closest equivalent), but I have no problems sshing from my Treo.

Comment

Yah I know they have QWERTY keyboards for cellphones these days, but i dont have the money for one.

The Processor is a:

TMP87CM41U Toshiba CMOS 8 bit Controller.
                            The FCC ID is:

K7GHCLE4065

Comment

The FCC ID is:

K7GHCLE4065
                              OK. Couple of things.

The approval for this unit was granted to Giant Electronics Ltd. in Hong Kong, so most likely Motorola rebadged the unit for sale in the US. As a result they may or may not carry schematics for them; most likely they just replace them outright when they fail.

Following on from that, it's listed as operating in the 902.475 - 927.475MHz range, which is the SM band typically used by cordless phones and other consumer devices. What wireless standards is it compatible with out of the box?

Comment

Working...
                              X