No announcement yet.

have a merry christmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merry Christmas and I guess Happy Hanukah, because those are the only two on that list that I deem valid.

The fact that Christmas isn't exactly on the right day is just a technicality.

Comment

What's wrong with Kwanzaa?
      Answering easy questions since 1987
      Si Dieu est pour moi, qui peut ĂȘtre contre moi?

Comment

Well, to start, it was invented by a black-white separatist who spent years in prison for torturing two women from his organization with soldering irons, among other things. It wasn't developed to "promote unity", as some of its proponents suggest, but so that blacks could avoid celebrating a "white" holiday. A search for "karenga" (the inventor) will turn up all this and more.

A more personal reason is that I think the whole concept of a "secular holiday" is oxymoronic and pointless, but that's hardly the whole case against "kwanzaa".

Comment

Originally posted by Zelazny's Cat
          Well, to start, it was invented by a black-white separatist who spent years in prison for torturing two women from his organization with soldering irons, among other things. It wasn't developed to "promote unity", as some of its proponents suggest, but so that blacks could avoid celebrating a "white" holiday. A search for "karenga" (the inventor) will turn up all this and more.

A more personal reason is that I think the whole concept of a "secular holiday" is oxymoronic and pointless, but that's hardly the whole case against "kwanzaa".
          I'd agree about kwanzaa, but the whole concept of December 25th being a "Christian Holy Day" is pretty sad. Che hit the nail on the head. Besides, we have all sorts of secular holidays; July 4th is a great example for US residents. Or where you just being pedantic about the origins of "holiday"?
          Thorn
          "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Who cares, all what I care is that is a Holiday and I get it off. SOO, MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorn
              I'd agree about kwanzaa, but the whole concept of December 25th being a "Christian Holy Day" is pretty sad. Che hit the nail on the head. Besides, we have all sorts of secular holidays; July 4th is a great example for US residents. Or where you just being pedantic about the origins of "holiday"?
              Most of the Fourth of July celebrations I've seen weren't secular by any definition of the word that I know...I've seen a few that actually got a bit scary with the whole Manifest Destiny thing. Same goes for any patriotic holiday in the US. Ironically, the holidays without religious origins are the ones that seem to be the most religious at present...I guess because it's harder to commercialize something like Veteran's Day.

I understand the real reasons behind Christmas being on December 25th, and if I knew the proper date and thought I could convince others outside of a few history buffs I'd try to fix it. For now, I'll just be glad it's being (kinda) celebrated.

Comment

Most Christian nations besides the US exchange gifts on Three Kings Day anyway so as not to trivialize the birth of Christ

And is there anything particularly invalid about Saturnalia?
                45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
                45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
                [ redacted ]

Comment

Originally posted by Zelazny's Cat
                  Most of the Fourth of July celebrations I've seen weren't secular by any definition of the word that I know...I've seen a few that actually got a bit scary with the whole Manifest Destiny thing. Same goes for any patriotic holiday in the US. Ironically, the holidays without religious origins are the ones that seem to be the most religious at present...I guess because it's harder to commercialize something like Veteran's Day.

I understand the real reasons behind Christmas being on December 25th, and if I knew the proper date and thought I could convince others outside of a few history buffs I'd try to fix it. For now, I'll just be glad it's being (kinda) celebrated.
                  It would seem to depend on your definition of "secular," but I don't see anything religious about holidays such as July 4th.

Of course, being areligious myself, the whole concept of Christmas (or any religious holiday) being endorsed/celebrated our government in any sense (such as a day off) deeply bothers me. But I fear any expression of further thoughts along these lines will drag us into deep Politics & Religion territory, and hence to /dev/null.

However, I do hope you enjoy your day and celebrate it as you see fit.
                  Thorn
                  "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Happy Holidays to everyone at Defcon Forums, regardless of race, religion, creed, political affiliation, sex, or sexual orientation. I hope that this wish for a joyous holiday season has not offended anyone and that it is politically correct.

Somehow that just lacks the flavor of Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
                    I enjoy talking to myself...it's usually the only intelligent conversations I get to have.

Comment

Here in Beijing they already have Christmas trees and all those things hanging that reminds one of Christmas. Its good. One can almost feel the warmth of home.
                      Though not Christians, with the number of expats in here, Christmas is good bussiness.

No, I am not offending any nationality.

Anyway, may we all have a Merry remaining days of December and a Happy New Year :)
                      Last edited by Badkarma; December 20, 2005, 06:50. Reason: spelling
                      Temet Nosce

Comment

Originally posted by Badkarma
                        Anyway, may we all have a Merry remaining days of December and a Happy New Year :)
                        Heyyyy. That is not fair. In China, you get two New Years' days. I demand two New Years' days here too!

For the banned people, I offer my wishes that they all be required to live for eternity with each other, on an otherwise deserted island, in the same house, that is set on fire, without buckets for water, just firehoses that spray gasoline.
                        Oh yeah. I also wish for them to have lots of neurotic dogs that breathe fire.. and um.. poop dynamite, but only when they see a house on fire or other fire-breathing dogs.

Heh-heh, heh-heh, hrm. Um. Fire! FIRE! FIRE!!

Seriously though, Happy New Year, and Season's Greetings forum members and Fellow DefCon attendees.

Comment

Originally posted by Floydr47
                          Happy Holidays to everyone at Defcon Forums, regardless of race, religion, creed, political affiliation, sex, or sexual orientation. I hope that this wish for a joyous holiday season has not offended anyone and that it is politically correct.

Somehow that just lacks the flavor of Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
                          except those Martians....wait, is that P.C. ?

Web Hosting --

Comment

My best "Season's Greetings" to everyone. I hope you all have a prosperous and happy new year :)
                            Twigman

Comment

Working...
                            X