Shmooshicon Thanks/Comments/Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shmooshicon Thanks/Comments/Suggestions

First and foremost I would like to extend my thanks to all those who made it out to the second annual Shmooshicon. We had 54 attendees this year ( by my count ) and overall I would brand the event as a success.

Things that worked this year:

Seperate checks per table went rather smoothly, and the restaurant was even willing to split the checks even further per half table. This was mainly due to the trust relationship established with the manager -- I definitely owe him a drink.

Service was MUCH faster than last year due to the pre-ordering of platters.

Both shifts were able to make it to the restaurant hassle free.

EVERYONE paid their tab this year!

Hot chicks serving raw fish.

An extra chef on staff to fulfill our sushi needs.

Good food + Good drinks + Good people = a GREAT time!

Things to improve:

Speed up orders:
    Basically this entails letting me know beforehand if your party is interested in getting a platter or not. I pre-ordered 4 knowing that they would definitely be eaten, but was hesitant to pre-order more and have the risk that no one would own up to them ( at $50 a pop, you could imagine how quickly my credit card would fill up).

Solution:
    As Beetle had suggested, next year I will probably go the route of having a paypal account for those interested in pre-ordering food. Let me know your ideas on this, but as of now I feel as this may be the way to go.

Appologies:

To the one table that was only able to get one of the platters. I assure you that the restaurant was doing everything that they could to get our orders finished as quickly as possible. I had gone upstairs a couple of times, only to see the two sushi chefs frantically preparing our meals and even putting off the orders made by the other guests upstairs.

The Future of Shmooshicon:

This is where input is crucial. Were you happy with the venue? Would you like to try and find a different venue for next year? Please enlighten me with your thoughts and suggestions in the hopes that we can make Shmooshicon 3.0 even more successful than this year.

Cheers,

gm1
    You're either on my side or else you're in the way.

I had a great time. The Sushi platter came out fast and the waitress checked up on us way more times than she needed to (which was a bonus ). The venue was also good and could easily accomodate us if we grew alittle next year.

The paypal idea is something I could easily get behind. If the groups that are definitely going pre-paid for their food it would allow the chefs to focus on their food before we even got there. This could help alleviate the problem of slow delivery on non-sushi orders.

Keep up the good work, the countdown begins to Sushicon 3!
    The dude abides.

Comment

thanks for smooshicon

I was one of those whose table only got one platter, I still had an awesome time! I can always get calories, but how often do i get to hang out with such great people.

-mouse
      One Voter really can make a difference. Ask me how!

Comment

If it's going to be at the same place, I can do recon, to get the menu online. This may help with pay-pal pre-pay and ordering time.

Thoughts?
        "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

Originally posted by mouseling
          I was one of those whose table only got one platter, I still had an awesome time! I can always get calories, but how often do i get to hang out with such great people. -mouse
          It took a ridiculous amount of time for our food to arrive, but I share your sentiments.

Al
          "Are my pants...threatening you?"

Comment

Not that this has anything to do with anything, but I would like to point out that a sushi-go-round could be a lot of fun if populated by hackers.
            if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Originally posted by converge
              Not that this has anything to do with anything, but I would like to point out that a sushi-go-round could be a lot of fun if populated by hackers.
              This token ring network takes approximately 7.42 minutes to receive back a pong.
              sushi network

Comment

Originally posted by mfreeck
                This token ring network takes approximately 7.42 minutes to receive back a pong.
                sushi network
                Maybe, "the token fell out of the ethernet," and people are busy looking for it on the floor? (That was a nice Dilbert Strip.)

Comment

Shmooshi-Con = Awesomeness - lag = Fun had by most?

Well I have to say I had a great time for it twas my first SushiCon event, of sorts, but I felt terrible after I noticed the table I was at was first served and pretty much the only served, for quite some time.

Then I did rounds around the place finding out what the hell was going on with the orders for everyone else, but as I'll note we performed a DOS attack on the chef's and and new patrons that came in a bit after us when we started bitching about it prevented them from getting orders, which was an upside I guess, though I wish it had gone more smoothly.

But other than that I couldn't have asked for better people to be there old and new alike.

Alright guys, as you know me from Shmoo causing a slight ruckus, ::hands up:: not on purpose of course, I'm down with cash in hand for the next one.

Comment

Working...
                  X