Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LPCON Update...

Hey all,

Massive apologies regarding my lack of effort with this years LPCON event. I have had a rough year in RL, and have not been able to dedicate any time to it. I thought it best that I step back from it this year. My partner, DOC, will be taking over 100% this year. I know he is probably looking for volunteers as well, so PM me your contact information if you're interested and I'll get that over to him.

I want this contest to thrive, and kind of considered it my baby, but like a crack-head in rehab, I realize my crack-baby would be better off in more responsible hands (eg. someone that doesn't call there boss on Wednesday afternoon from the AP bar and start cussing him out because he's downed too much 151 and LPCON is stressing him out). Look for DOC to make announcments in the coming weeks and new rules pages.

I know a few people have mentioned trying to contact me in another thread, but all my contact info has changed. PM me and I'll get back to you.

I've put a lot of time and effort into the contest over the last 3 years, and hope everyone had a good time with it as we attempted to improve things from year to year. I know DOC is going to set a lot of things straight, so this year should be better than ever. In fact, if nobody minds, I would be tempted to "throw my picks into the ring" this year as a contestant rather than sitting behind the table.

Anyway, I'm done rambling. I hope to see everyone again this year, and if me participating rubs someone the wrong way, let me know and I won't sign up when time comes.

Thanks,
    Kai

Originally posted by Kai
    I have had a rough year in RL, and have not been able to dedicate any time to it.
    Sorry to hear this. Any learning experiences you want to share?

My partner, DOC, will be taking over 100% this year.
    If we know it is going to happen, and that it is going to be an official contest this year, we can create a subforum in the "official contests" space.
    As an intermediate step, we can create an LPCon subforum in the unofficial" space until there is an announcement that it will again be an official contest this year.

...someone that doesn't call there boss on Wednesday afternoon from the AP bar and start cussing him out because he's downed too much 151 and LPCON is stressing him out...
    Yeah. That could be, "a career limiting opportunity."

Look for DOC to make announcments in the coming weeks and new rules pages.
    Is DOC the DOC group, or a person, and if a person, an acronym of their initials, and do they spend any time on the dc-forums? If a group, do they have one or more members who has been active on the forums for a long time?

I know a few people have mentioned trying to contact me in another thread, but all my contact info has changed. PM me and I'll get back to you.
    PM Sent.

I've put a lot of time and effort into the contest over the last 3 years, and hope everyone had a good time with it as we attempted to improve things from year to year.
    As a spectator, I must say it is a great contest. DOC will have people with high expectations looking to compete and/or watch. :-)

I know DOC is going to set a lot of things straight, so this year should be better than ever. In fact, if nobody minds, I would be tempted to "throw my picks into the ring" this year as a contestant rather than sitting behind the table.
    Ah. So you will be at DC14 this year?

Anyway, I'm done rambling. I hope to see everyone again this year, and if me participating rubs someone the wrong way, let me know and I won't sign up when time comes.
    Thanks for running LP Con so well for so many years. It's been nice to see a contest come into being, and become popular.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan
      Sorry to hear this. Any learning experiences you want to share?

If we know it is going to happen, and that it is going to be an official contest this year, we can create a subforum in the "official contests" space.
      As an intermediate step, we can create an LPCon subforum in the unofficial" space until there is an announcement that it will again be an official contest this year.

Yeah. That could be, "a career limiting opportunity."

Is DOC the DOC group, or a person, and if a person, an acronym of their initials, and do they spend any time on the dc-forums? If a group, do they have one or more members who has been active on the forums for a long time?

PM Sent.

As a spectator, I must say it is a great contest. DOC will have people with high expectations looking to compete and/or watch. :-)

Ah. So you will be at DC14 this year?

Thanks for running LP Con so well for so many years. It's been nice to see a contest come into being, and become popular.
      Thanks man. Yes I will be at DC14 this year, hopefully being getting more out of it personally than just LPCON. As far as learning experiences, don't take your life and those you love for granted, that'a bout it.

As far as contest specifics, I'll get you DOC's information. He's been part of LPCON since the day we sat around at Old Chicago's eatin pizza and planning it. He built the boards and helped me with wiring and everything else in the contest (as well as MC'ing the first 2 years). There would not have been an LPCON without him. With him at the helm, I guarantee the contest will better than previous years.

I plan on competing this year (as long as there are no objections) and enjoying the work he puts into it!

I'd start talking smaque, but I'll probably wind up with the worst time! ;)

Comment

I'm quite willing to lend my arms length assitance once again.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Thanks for not letting LPCON die
        Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

i would also be happy to assist in any way that i can. in fact, this year i was thinking about not giving a lockpicking talk during one of the official session tracks since the whole topic has grown too much for a typical lecture. also, the community has enough people who are now familiar with the basics, so much of the talk is repetition for them.

what i'd like to see is something that barry wels and other .eu people have done at recent events across the pond... the lockpick contest area becomes "lockpick village" which not only hosts the contests but also is a learning center, featuring a lot of practice hardware, mini-lectures and talks given in an impromptu fashion, etc. i'd be willing to lend a lot of my time towards that endeavor. all we'd need is space, tables, and chairs.
          "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
          - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
            i'd be willing to lend a lot of my time towards that endeavor. all we'd need is space, tables, and chairs.
            ...beer, scantaly clad women, beer, locks, files, beer, safes, picks, beer, street sweeper bristles, vice's, beer.....
            Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

hahaha

you guys rock!

I told DOC to contact you guys.

I'm willing to help out in minimalist fashion this year, but I really plan on enjoying the con experience like I haven't in several years.

Deviant - That's pretty much the concept we had been trying to do since LPCON I. I was hoping last year we could get the contest room opened up early evening for hang-outs, but didn't work out.

Comment

Working...
              X