Best time for Event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best time for Event

What day and time would be the best time to avoid conflict with everyones schedules? I would like the event to start at four or five so players aren't there until three in the morning.

Friday comes to mind, but that might eliminate alot of the forum meet's turnout. Saturday would cut down on people's party time. Sunday isn't long enough. From a personal scheduling point of view, I would choose Friday.

Input would be appreciated because you guys are the ones taking time out of your schedule to make this event possible.
    The dude abides.

friday sounds best to me.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Comment

Not sure what to recommend but keep me clued on the details once you set them.. so I can add it to the Unofficial Calendar of Happenings.

Things to keep in mind, Thursday is TBBQ. Anyone conflicting with this event date and time will get the beatdown for the TBBQcrew. Also, Friday night is historically Forums Meet night (unless nulltone magically changes it this year)

iirc Quarks is Tuesday, Sushicon Sunday .. but neither of these are confirmed with times this year.. so .. *shrug*
      if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Originally posted by converge
        Things to keep in mind, Thursday is TBBQ. Anyone conflicting with this event date and time will get the beatdown for the TBBQcrew.
        Oooh, I volunteer to be on the beatdown committee!

Also, Friday night is historically Forums Meet night (unless nulltone magically changes it this year)
        And traditionally it is lame. Folks can't even agree on a restaurant to have it at/go out to afterwards. It might be nice to have it in the same room with PokerCon so at least something is happening.

Comment

(Forum meet)
          Originally posted by mfreeck
          And traditionally it is lame. Folks can't even agree on a restaurant to have it at/go out to afterwards. It might be nice to have it in the same room with PokerCon so at least something is happening.
          Perhaps a forum meet could start in the same room as PokerCon on Friday Night, but take place 1 hour or 30 minutes earlier? It seems like many of the players and volunteers will be from the forums anyway.

Friday Eves usually includes the first night of Hacker Jeopardy. What would be a good time to start a forums meet on Friday? 10pm? 9pm?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan
            (Forum meet)
            Perhaps a forum meet could start in the same room as PokerCon on Friday Night, but take place 1 hour or 30 minutes earlier? It seems like many of the players and volunteers will be from the forums anyway.
            That would put the forum meet at 4:30 in the afternoon because PokerCon is almost concretely 5:00PM on Friday. Three to four talks would be missed, but a great deal of the forum regulars don't go to a whole lot of talks anyway.

I think the idea of the forum meet being with PokerCon is a good one though. It gives people something to talk about. PokerCon is going to have breaks every few rounds. During the breaks is when we are going to do the non-poker mini-contests. It'd be neat to have the forum meet during that. It would add excitement for sure, not to mention lending some oomph to the mood for Render to present the hard luck award.

Personally though, I always had fun at the forum meets how they were.
            The dude abides.

Comment

heh.. you might get Chris to show up to the forum meet with this tactic :p
              if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Originally posted by Xodia
                That would put the forum meet at 4:30 in the afternoon because PokerCon is almost concretely 5:00PM on Friday. Three to four talks would be missed, but a great deal of the forum regulars don't go to a whole lot of talks anyway.
                There was mention of having two separate stages at PokerCon:
                1) Oridinary chips are used
                2) Ordinary chips are traded in for the special-ordered chips.

Perhaps a break between the two halves might work, if an end could be predicted, but I don't think such breaks can be scheduled, since the end of one half would depend on the number of players being reduced to some set value.

As different tables finish each round, there will be periods where players are waiting for other tables to yeild winners for "the next round of play."

Having a forum meet near the PokerCon makes sense, and having it later might mean the losers will have another reason to stick around for a bit and would allow for others to migrate between the two events.

Also, a later Forum meet means more people will be able to attend, as more players will be removed from PokerCon. If I recall correctly, from around 9 or 10pm to midnight, we have a run of Hacker Jeopary on Friday. Friday at 10pm or 11pm still sounds like a good time for a forum meet.

I think the idea of the forum meet being with PokerCon is a good one though. It gives people something to talk about. PokerCon is going to have breaks every few rounds. During the breaks is when we are going to do the non-poker mini-contests. It'd be neat to have the forum meet during that. It would add excitement for sure, not to mention lending some oomph to the mood for Render to present the hard luck award.
                Other good ideas.

Personally though, I always had fun at the forum meets how they were.
                When did they actually take place last year? Did it happen at the time that was planned?

Originally posted by converge
                heh.. you might get Chris to show up to the forum meet with this tactic :p
                Good point. If Chris won't come to the mountain, bring the mountain over to Chris. (heh heh)

Comment

Working...
                X