Location discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Location discussion

As recently updated near the top of http://www.toxicbbq.com, location of this year's TBBQ has been changed to TBD.

Just to be clear.. this in NO WAY means that the BBQ is in question. It will happen (did we mention rain or shine?)

Organizers are currently pursuing other possibilities to try and bring the BBQ a little closer to the Riviera. If all else fails we will roll back to Sunset Park, but stay tuned for location details .. as they will form over the next couple months.

Oh.. and feel free to chat or gripe about it below this line..

----------------------
    if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

there's always pool 3 at that the AP... that'll be pretty empty untill 200 people with fire and dead animals show up....

...hey! it was Just an idea.....
    the fresh prince of 1337

To learn how to hack; submit your request

Comment

I have heard several rumors and ideas centering around an unofficial visit to the AP. Dust in the wind?

Comment

Originally posted by converge
        I have heard several rumors and ideas centering around an unofficial visit to the AP. Dust in the wind?
        I am staying there Wendsday with some other DC859'ers. We were wanting to have some people over for a swim in a good ole' pool...
        The dude abides.

Comment

I'm curious as to how AP would feel about the return of people i'm sure they haven't forgotten. If the idea of a short return ever gets off the ground, I imagine it would create many nice memories.
          "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
          - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

The only thing discussed so far that I can recall came up here and continued with discussion of a march to the AP.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan
              The only thing discussed so far that I can recall came up here and continued with discussion of a march to the AP.
              I wanted to organize a race of some sort with challenges. If anyone is still interested let me know.

Back on topic, from what I have seen Sunset Park seems to be the best place to do it. Even though its not as close now it still has the most space for our group.
              The dude abides.

Comment

Originally posted by Xodia
                I wanted to organize a race of some sort with challenges. If anyone is still interested let me know.

Back on topic, from what I have seen Sunset Park seems to be the best place to do it. Even though its not as close now it still has the most space for our group.
                I did some research online for alternate parks and provided several links here.

There is also a pdf of each park and what they have available.
                702-ers could probably make better sense of it.

Comment

http://www.defcon.org/html/defcon-14/dc-14-index.html
                  ::::
                  Originally posted by url
                  Rain be damned! The Unofficial Defcon 14 Toxic BBQ will be held for its third consecutive year on Thursday, August 3rd from 18:00:00 until the event dies out. Details of the TBBQ's location can be found at http://www.toxicbbq.com. Sign on to the Defcon Forums and help plan this years event.
                  Hey! That is pretty cool. Organizers now have 5 contests/events on the page for DC14. Nice job to all of the Toxic BBQ Organizers for preplanning and thinking ahead.

Comment

Hey, I grill a mean shrimp, but since I'm flying out this year (one benefit of not having to drive out locks), I wasn't planning on having a car. I grill a mean jumbo shrimp though, and would be willing to make enough to share (5 pounds or so) if someone had vehicle and grill space for the wife and I?

Comment

Our current plan is to drive down in a minivan. That said, we'll have to see if that's how it goes down by August.. also depending on the parking situation by Thursday at the Riviera.. but availability considering we'd be glad to trek ya'll over. .. and I doubt grill space will be an issue, especially with something as rockin as shrimp!

Comment

Awesome c0n!

(Whoa, when did the respell happen? guess I've been outta touch)

We'll be gettin' in Wednesday. Figure we'll take a cab from the airport and stop at a market for shrimp/steaks (fridge in the room better be working!) and 151. I still can't believe the AP ran out of 151 last year. I mean, I myself went through 2 bottles and I know I'm not the only one that drinks run 'n coke!

Gotta special marinade I'll fly out with me the shrimp, and some of the best steak rub in the world from America's best Q joint.

Comment

While looking over maps of Las Vegas near the Riviera, I noticed a country club (due east from the Riviera) and wanted to know of that might be an option for location next year.
                          I also notice a gold course, a little further east.

If these are not private, and they have BBQ capacity, they might be closer alternatives to sunset park. If they are private, and cheap, they may still be an alternative to Sunset Park.

Comment

Location Suggestions

I have lived here in Vegas quite a while. I think that Sunset Park is a great venue to have a BBQ, and while there may be a few park in the vacinity of the Rivera, I wouldn't suggest them, because they either suck or the area isn't really good.

There are a few other locations like Desert Breeze Park 8275 Spring Mountain Rd. Las Vegas, NV 89117 which is west of the rivera, and its almost a straight shot up. Plus there is a sams club up there as well, really close to the park.

From the Rivera to Desert Breeze it is 6.6 mi (about 12 mins)
                            1. Head west from Riviera Blvd - go 35 ft
                            2. Turn left at S Las Vegas Blvd - go 0.9 mi
                            3. Turn right at Spring Mountain Rd - go 5.7 mi

From the Rivera to Sunset Park it is 6.9 mi (about 12 mins)
                            1. Head east from Riviera Blvd - go 0.4 mi
                            2. Turn right at Paradise Rd - go 2.5 mi
                            3. Turn left at E Tropicana Ave - go 1.7 mi
                            4. Turn right at S Eastern Ave - go 2.0 mi
                            5. Turn left at E Sunset Rd - go 0.3 mi

It is all about the same, except maybe traffic, so I suppose its up to everyone.

Comment

Working...
                            X