Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux family tree?

Hi there guys,

I'm doing an essay (actually a 15,000 word paper) as my final year project for my degree.

I'm trying to get as much detail as i can about the history of Linux. I allready now quite a bit about it but now i'm trying to find a suitable family tree which portrays the historic path of unix, bsd, linux, minix, ect...

On wikipedia they have a family tree example but i believe allthough it is very full it doesn't reallty show enough of the linux distrobutions. It also doesn't show that Minix was the initial idea of the Linux branch.

Do any of you guys have any ideas on where i can find some sort of family tree for linux, hopefully including of few of the more popular distro types, e.g. debian, suse, redhat, ect...

Cheers in advance

P.s. Just to keep your minds ticking my title for my paper will be something along the lines of;
    "Just how beneficial is Linux to 3rd World countries?" (hopefully the short title will allow me to cover a huge scope of topics, and decididng the title at the end will hopefully make things easier for me)

p.p.s Have found THIS but it's a tad over complicated (actually, it's far too rammed full, even if it would look good as a poster on my wall, hmmm, getting ideas for that A1 printer at work now)
    Last edited by FunkyChicken; March 14, 2006, 15:13.

Originally posted by FunkyChicken
    Hi there guys,

I'm doing an essay (actually a 15,000 word paper) as my final year project for my degree.

I'm trying to get as much detail as i can about the history of Linux. I allready now quite a bit about it but now i'm trying to find a suitable family tree which portrays the historic path of unix, bsd, linux, minix, ect...

On wikipedia they have a family tree example but i believe allthough it is very full it doesn't reallty show enough of the linux distrobutions. It also doesn't show that Minix was the initial idea of the Linux branch.

Do any of you guys have any ideas on where i can find some sort of family tree for linux, hopefully including of few of the more popular distro types, e.g. debian, suse, redhat, ect...
    There isn't a singular resource for what you are looking for (that I know of). However, if you combine some data from the link you found with the information found at DistroWatch you should be able to build a pretty good graph easily.
    Last edited by Xodia; March 14, 2006, 16:38.
    The dude abides.

Comment

google: "history of linux"
      google: "history of unix"
      google: "history of redhat"
      google: "history of slackware"

google: "history of linux distrobutions" immediately turned up:
      http://groups.msn.com/TheCompleteCom...rce/linux.msnw, which has links in its sidebar to:
      Linux
      The Creation of the UNIX
      The History of UNIX
      Minix
      The History of Linux
      Linux Hardware Compatability List
      Linux HowTo's
      Free Online Linux Books
      Linux Commands A-L
      Linux Commands M-T
      Linux Commands U-Z
      Understanding the Linux Kernel
      Understanding X-Windows
      Understanding Window Managers
      Wine
      Linux Links
      Linux Support Sites
      Linux: The Number Two Operating Sytem in the World
      if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Working...
      X