Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computer/Electrical Engineering (College Education)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer/Electrical Engineering (College Education)

This fall I will be applying to the University of Arizona. I have a few majors bouncing around in my head, but my main interest resides in Computer/Electrical engineering. The problem is, I am pretty scared of the physics and math courses I will have to take. I have never taken a physics course in my life (and won't be able to in high school) and I'm slight above average at best in math. My brother has taken a few of them and all he's told me they are pretty bad. Anyone have any advice or experiences to shed some light on my decision? Also which of the two majors, CE and EE, would be more related with embedded systems (I am guessing CE but I'm not 100% sure).

Originally posted by xXKelbaXx
    I am pretty scared of the physics and math courses
    introductory physics courses are almost all heavy on trigonometry and linear forces. if you can do vector math, planar geometry, and trig you'll be more than fine.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Comment

Computer/electrical engineering (college edu...blah)

Originally posted by xXKelbaXx
      This fall I will be applying to the University of Arizona. I have a few majors bouncing around in my head, but my main interest resides in Computer/Electrical engineering. The problem is, I am pretty scared of the physics and math courses I will have to take. I have never taken a physics course in my life (and won't be able to in high school) and I'm slight above average at best in math. My brother has taken a few of them and all he's told me they are pretty bad. Anyone have any advice or experiences to shed some light on my decision? Also which of the two majors, CE and EE, would be more related with embedded systems (I am guessing CE but I'm not 100% sure).
      Go with what interests you and don't worry about those particulars. You mentioned "embedded systems" but what kind of embedded systems? It really depends on what business silos in which you have interest. Aerospace and .gov systems development lend themselves to both majors. Software, et al silos lean more toward the computer engineering. Chip makers more toward EE. Where do you want to be? However, you were correct in your guess that CE is probably more related to embedded systems at this point in time.

Either way, both are nice degrees to have. Figure out what spaces you think you wish to play in. That should be a good guide for you regarding what degree to go for, rather than your fear of maths. Maths can always be conquered. Being unhappy beause you are indecisive about where you want to play and who you want to play with is much more problematic.

Just my good old american two cents. Good luck in your studies.

Sapere Aude

valkyrie

Comment

Speaking as someone whos about to graduate as a Computer Engineer, don't worry about the physics and math classes. If you are even slightly above average at math, you'll be fine as long as you do the work. The hard classes are going to be the lower division engineering "weeder" courses (the ones to get you to quit engineering if you don't have what it takes) and the upper division circuits and architecture classes.

As far as what to major in, it really doesn't matter to be honest. Most people don't even end up doing what they majored for anyway. If you know you really want to do embedded systems, electrical or computer engineering would both be fine. You should really look at the classes you'd have to take for each and decide what to pick based from that. Don't spend the next 4 or 5 years of your life hating every class you take because you think it will be a little bit easier to get a job you want.
        %54%68%69%73%20%69%73%20%6E%6F%74%20%68%65%78

Comment

Working...
        X