FAQ: Defcon 14 Skyboxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAQ: Defcon 14 Skyboxes

Q: I heard there were going to be Skyboxes at Defcon this year, what gives?
    A: You heard correct. This year at Defcon we are moving to a new facility, the Riviera, and the convention space has several skybox locations that look down onto the convention floor. We wrestled with what to do with them and decided that pimping them out to the attendees was probably the best thing.

Q: So can I have one?
    A: Yes, well...maybe. We'd like to give them to those individuals that add to Defcon in some way, or are thinking about adding to Defcon in some way. What this means is that if you provide some kind of technical content, outside of speaking, to Defcon and would like the use of a skybox for a day, you have a good chance of getting a skybox.

Q: Technical content? Like what?
    A: Let me give you an example. Let's say you want to teach people how to pick locks, and you have lockboards and tools and you or someone from your group is going to be in that room throughout the day instructing or just showing how it's done. You stand a good chance of getting a room. Another example could be if The Shmoo Group decided to break out all the toys they've brought to Defcon over the last few years and set them up in the room for people to gawk at, as questions about, and maybe see a demo of, they'd more than likely get the use of a skybox.

Q: So if I provide a day worth of content I get the skybox for Defcon?
    A: No. If you provide one day of content you gain access to the skybox for that day, and that day only.

Q: I want to throw a party in a Skybox, can I?
    A: Yes. If your group provides content for that day, you will also have access to that skybox that night if you choose to throw a party. If you are not providing any content you still have a chance of getting a skybox at night for a party, but those that provide content will have preference.

Q: What if I provide enough content for all three days?
    A: If you request the skybox for the duration of Defcon we will review your application and decide whether or not the content you provide will require the use of the box for one, two, or even three days.

Q: What if I want the room for content, but I won't be throwing a party?
    A: That's fine too. I'm sure we'll find someone who would love to use the space, so let us know if you will not need the room for that night and we'll find someone who can put it to good use.

Q: Can I bring my own booze for the party?
    A: The use of the skybox for a party that evening will require the use of a hotel run bar and bartender. We know some of you like to mix your own drinks, but that's the arrangement we have with the hotel.

Q: How many people can I invite if I have a party?
    A: The rooms hold about 75 people at a time. They are a little over 1000sq ft and have 10ft ceilings. This is a little less space then the largest rooms at the Alexis Park Provided, plus there are no beds in the way. If you had a party at the AP, a skybox should be about the same amount of useable space. If you find that you will need more space for your event, let us know and we will see if another box is open that has an airwall between the rooms, allowing the space to double.

Q: How much will the hotel bar/bartender cost me?
    A: We are still working on nailing down the prices for the bar/bartender, as soon as we have exact numbers, this will be posted here.

Q: Okay, I'm interested, who do I contact and what do I need to say?
    A: You can contact Grifter, he will be coordinating the skyboxes. You can reach him at his defcon address, grifter at defcon dot org.

Q: Cool, what do I need to tell that fool?
    A: Express your interest in obtaining a skybox.
    Will you be providing content?
    Be sure to specify what you will be doing, and try to be detailed so we know what you are talking about.
    Which day/night would you like?
    If providing content during the day, will you be having a party that night?
    If having a party, is it a private party or open to the public?

Q: I still have more questions, who do I ask?
    A: Ask Grifter, or if you're reading this on the forums, post here for an answer.
    .: Grifter :.

The following addresses had delivery problems:

<grifter [at] defcon [döt] org>
    Permanent Failure: Other address status
    Delivery last attempted at Wed, 5 Apr 2006 23:07:16 -0000

(no, i'm not that huge an idiot... the above address is spam-armored)

what does "other address status" mean? i've never encountered that before.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Comment

Strange, everything looks good on my end.. Could you email me the entire envelope header info?

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
      The following addresses had delivery problems:

<grifter [at] defcon [döt] org>
      Permanent Failure: Other address status
      Delivery last attempted at Wed, 5 Apr 2006 23:07:16 -0000

what does "other address status" mean? i've never encountered that before.
      PGP key: dtangent@defcon.org valid 2020 Jan 15, to 2024 Jan 01 Fingerprint: BC5B CD9A C609 1B6B CD81 9636 D7C6 E96C FE66 156A

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
        No skybox for you.

(Can you put that on a t-shirt?)

Comment

i did a re-send and saw no bounce message this time. guess it was whackiness on my end (fuckin' comcast)
          "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
          - Trent Reznor

Comment

ACTF could make use of a skybox
            To post live scoring of the ACTF event. and maybe even what's going on over the network
            Last edited by Hardware; April 25, 2006, 17:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardware
              ACTF could make use of a skybox
              You'll want to follow the directions for requesting a skybox if you would like to use one.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan
                You'll want to follow the directions for requesting a skybox if you would like to use one.
                indeed i shall

Comment

Skybox Allocation

I went over with Grifter the number and location of the sky boxes available, so now that we know our inventory, he is able to start booking groups.
                  PGP key: dtangent@defcon.org valid 2020 Jan 15, to 2024 Jan 01 Fingerprint: BC5B CD9A C609 1B6B CD81 9636 D7C6 E96C FE66 156A

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Tangent
                    I went over with Grifter the number and location of the sky boxes available, so now that we know our inventory, he is able to start booking groups.
                    when will we know if we will be able to use one or not?

Comment

Email sent. Hope it actually arrives. *kicks ISP hard*
                      Picking locks since '96.

Comment

The forum meet is totally gonna be in a skybox, right?
                        45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
                        45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
                        [ redacted ]

Comment

Skybox update due soon..

Hang in there.. we should have the initial skybox assignments and information out next week.

Comment

Bonus Scavenger Hunt points to whoever sets themselves on fire and hurls themself out of a skybox.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
                              Bonus Scavenger Hunt points to whoever sets themselves on fire and hurls themself out of a skybox.
                              Super-extra-mega bonus points depending on the number of people below they take out.

Comment

Working...
                              X