Event Description?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Event Description?

There was a request for contest and event summary, and location/need request. What kind of summary should the forum meet have? Should it even have one?

"The forum-meet is in its N-th year at Defcon, and continues to grow. The forums have over 10,000 user, of these, 9000 have been active on the forums in the past 2 years. Here is an opportunity to meet with your fellow forum members at the con."

It would be ideal to know if it was going to take place near the PokerCon, so that it could have its location mentioned, and include a comment about PokerCon.

Ideas on wording? What to include?

Originally posted by TheCotMan
    There was a request for contest and event summary, and location/need request. What kind of summary should the forum meet have? Should it even have one?
    This isn't about the description, but the meeting itself. Has any progress been made about something we might do at the forum meet, such as a contest, go out for dinner afterward, etc? In the past, the forum meets have been humdrum enough that I wandered off, wondering why i keep showing in the first place. I'm not talking about having an elaborate party here, just something more to do than stare at a table for an hour. We could have little mini contests, I am all for a little dinner thing, board games, twister, whatever... just something to *do*.
    Any takers?

Comment

Originally posted by mfreeck
      This isn't about the description, but the meeting itself.
      I was thinking about [thread=7241]this[/quote].

Has any progress been made about something we might do at the forum meet, such as a contest, go out for dinner afterward, etc?
      Good idea.

In the past, the forum meets have been humdrum enough that I wandered off, wondering why i keep showing in the first place.
      Me too-- sort of. I left early for Weakest Link.

I'm not talking about having an elaborate party here, just something more to do than stare at a table for an hour.
      At 12, che let us taste his beer. There has been talk of having beer makers bring beer for a tasting contest, and there is a chance for the forum meet to be near pokercon.

We could have little mini contests, I am all for a little dinner thing, board games, twister, whatever... just something to *do*.
      Having something to do after the "introduce yourself" that takes like 10 minutes could be fun. Let's see what people come up with for ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by mfreeck
        In the past, the forum meets have been humdrum enough that I wandered off, wondering why i keep showing in the first place. ... We could have little mini contests, I am all for a little dinner thing, board games, twister, whatever... just something to *do*
        well, i plan on having all entries in the BCCC event present at the meet if possible, for people to experiment with pushing plenty of cocktails through them. (homebrew + high tech cooling = doubleplusgood) [EDIT: an important point to mention is the whole deal that the organizers have with the hotel regarding skyboxes (if we have the forum meet in one) there was some sort of rule that no outside drinks are there... hotel runs a bar. that could foul up plans for homebrew like in years past.]

i also would certainly welcome any appearance of the "beer pong" that was being discussed in another thread. while anything with balls, paddles, or throwing at cups (the latter technically being "beruit") would be fun, i really like the idea that render had proposed of someone getting a working Pong game (either vintage or modern emulation) and setting up a tournament wherein players drink when scored upon. perhaps play to 21, with point penalties assessed as a very large shot of beer, maybe every 7th drink is a shot of whiskey. who knows... make something up. but still... "geek beer pong" is worth exploring.
        "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
        - Trent Reznor

Comment

damn... this makes 5th year running

I say, eat something, drink something, blow something up and rewire something .. not necessarily in that order.. but should definately make for a good time.
          if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Working...
          X