Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VB Speech Marks Exception

Hi guys,

I'm quickly throwing togther a test app using vb. I'm trying to send a string to the command line using this code

Code:
            Dim cmd As String
            cmd = ("C:\mplayer\mplayer.exe" + txtString.Text)
            Shell(cmd, AppWinStyle.NormalFocus)
    The only problem is that the txtString input box sometimes will need to send speech marks to the command line (")

for example txtString.Text could equal "D:\a new movie.avi"

Any idea on how i overcome this?

cheers

It isn't exactly clear what you want. So it will sometimes include punctuation, and...?

By the way, that seems like a security hole waiting to happen. Doesn't VB provide a manner to execute a command and provide the arguments to the command separately?

Comment

There are a couple easy ways to accomplish this... you could google something like "VB, escape quotes" or "VB, double quotes" for more details, but here are your options..

Use the always handy Chr$ to add the character to your string line:
      Code:
              Dim cmd As String
              cmd = ("C:\mplayer\mplayer.exe " & [COLOR="Blue"]Chr$(34)[/COLOR] & txtString.Text & [COLOR="blue"]Chr$(34)[/COLOR] )
      Use doublequotes:
      Code:
              Dim cmd As String
              cmd = ("C:\mplayer\mplayer.exe [COLOR="Blue"]""[/COLOR]" & txtString.Text & "[COLOR="blue"]""[/COLOR]")
      Either should generate:
      > C:\mplayer\mplayer.exe "your text here"

As Voltage Spike mentioned though, you'll need to be doing some ninjitsu validation operations on what people enter into that string, as it is a classic case for input attack. Consider this, let's say I write a little VB thing like this:

Code:
      Shell(("c:\md5sum.exe " & chr$(34) & someinput.Text & chr$(34)), AppWinStyle.NormalFocus)
      What happens if someone enters something like "| echo test or "&& echo test into your input field? :) Redundant to say that you might end up with more than just an md5 sum of the entry.
      if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

cheers converge,

was a great help. dont worry, this is jump a very quick app used as a throw away prototype to test some parts of a system. I'm not at all worried about security or validation/verification of data entry at this time.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
        X