Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why the drip coffee makers? + Tasting Guide

Originally posted by Dark Tangent
    What kind of grinder are you guys using (Burr, Roll, blade, etc?) and what size grind do you go for?
    I use a Braun, with blade, and grind it close to espresso in fineness. We average about 20 entries, and must keep it all efficient, and yet give each a fair chance. The Braun has a stronger motor, and does not overheat the bean during grinding (unlike some lesser types).

Why use a drip coffee maker, as opposed to a vac-pot, perculator, or french press ? Is it just an easy standard that makes the process fast, or some other reason?
    A french press is slow, and requires a certain skill (as anyone who's tried it can attest to), and the drip coffee makers (Krups, of course) can all be kept to a more or less exact science. So much cold water, precise measurements of coffee, specific temperature; it works better on the assembly line process that we've naturally settled into. Percolators suck; that's why drip coffee makers took over the market. It isn't an issue like vinyl records versus CDs, where the quality of sound is at stake. Perked coffee is just inferior to other methods. Vacuum pots have the same disconcerting difficulties as do french presses; too much skill required.

After reading some sites, like CoffeeGeeks, talking about the whole tasting process, I can see why some people treat this like fine wine.
    Ah, yes. Now that I live in WA, and am surrounded by Espresso on every street corner, I can see why wretched monstrosities like Starbuck's got started. All that flavored, sugared, caffeine prevents the true enjoyment of one of life's finest pleasures. Truly, there's nothing like the aroma of a fine ethiopian (Peet's, in this case) at sunrise to make the day pleasant.

Comment

Re: Why the drip coffee makers? + Tasting Guide

Originally posted by shrdlu
      Ah, yes. Now that I live in WA, and am surrounded by Espresso on every street corner, I can see why wretched monstrosities like Starbuck's got started. All that flavored, sugared, caffeine prevents the true enjoyment of one of life's finest pleasures. Truly, there's nothing like the aroma of a fine ethiopian (Peet's, in this case) at sunrise to make the day pleasant.
      I've been an espresso snob for many years, and I can attest to the wine-like treatment of it these days. Just look at some of the Cup Of Excellence coffee trading getting up near $60 a pound for green coffee beans (going to retail, expect to double that price).

Who needs $1K in espresso-making equipment? Oh, I do. ;-/

I'm bringing some killer local roast beans to the wars. Look out.

Comment

Re: Tricks of the winners

Shame on a coffee contest that doesn't use a burr grinder.

(No I can't provide one.) :)

And this totally leaves me out of the running with my turkish-coffee making skills. I need to use a special container for it, and there's a cooking technique. Will everyone be completely sick of the coffeebean by the end of this, or should I bring my setup to treat everyone to something completely different than the real entries?

(I'd love to see a yergecheffe or a kona bean win, sometime)

Comment

Originally posted by SrphicDvl
          Shame on a coffee contest that doesn't use a burr grinder.

(No I can't provide one.) :)
          Don't want one. Like the grinder I have. You must be new here...

And this totally leaves me out of the running with my turkish-coffee making skills.
          Only I make the coffee, so your skills wouldn't have helped here. It keeps everything on a level playing field.

(I'd love to see a yergecheffe or a kona bean win, sometime)
          Kona won last year. Ethiopian is my personal favorite. See you there.

Comment

Monkey Poo (well really Luwak) beans in effect!

Well, the poo coffee is here, complete with a lucite brick encased poo sample. Just in case you wanted to know what it looks like in it's natural state.
            The Dark Tangent: Use PGP for email Key ID: 0x8B0B476D
            Fingerprint: EA2B 63F9 2219 9171 2AB1 0065 FC59 8B0B 476D

Comment

Re: Monkey Poo (well really Luwak) beans in effect!

Well, the poo coffee is here, complete with a lucite brick encased poo sample. Just in case you wanted to know what it looks like in it's natural state.
              It does seem only fair to share the joy that the coffee wars judges were privileged to experience. If all goes well, I will brew up the amount remaining of the Robusta and Arabica beans on Sunday morning, around 10AM and for as long as it holds out, at or near the info booth. The curious should stop by for a taste. I'll have some small cups, if you don't have one. Please note, this is a taste. Don't expect to satisfy your coffee jonesing from this.

For infobooth members, I'll try to get down a few minutes early and brew a pot or so of something pleasant and drinkable.

Comment

I was not able to locate the coffee wars venu on Friday, even after asking at the Registration desk and getting blank stares.

Thus I have 1/2 pound of a Kona peaberry and a full pound of 100% Kona that I am willing to "donate to the cause" tomorrow at 1000 provided you are willing to do the grinding and brewing.

Let me know!
                DaKahuna

Comment

Originally posted by DaKahuna
                  I was not able to locate the coffee wars venu on Friday, even after asking at the Registration desk and getting blank stares.
                  Well, we tried very hard to pick up all the entries, including sending a scout team out where everyone was trapped, waiting for the fire inspection to be over. We were in the contest area, where we were supposed to be, but you wouldn't have been able to get to us until we were nearly through judging. We were there, however, at least until a good hour after they'd finally let everyone in past the ropes. We still picked up at least three, maybe four entries after that. Sorry to hear you didn't find us, just the same.

Thus I have 1/2 pound of a Kona peaberry and a full pound of 100% Kona that I am willing to "donate to the cause" tomorrow at 1000 provided you are willing to do the grinding and brewing.
                  If you show up during the time I'm grinding the poopycino, then I'll be happy to let you sample it. Come on, everyone wants to try a little shitty coffee. Heh.

I'll be over at the infobooth. Please drop by, and maybe we can brew a bit between the Robusta and Arabica poo.

Comment

Ok...this might sound a tad overdone...

Crossbreeding coffee....is it possible? Could I grow a hybrid type of coffee....(myself)...and submit it? Other than finding a specific place..purchasing and submitting?

I bet this has been ask...But truthfully..the climate is right..and I spoke to some people; I have an idea.
                    A paranoid is someone who knows a little of what's going on.
                    -
                    William S. Burroughs

Comment

Originally posted by enven
                      Ok...this might sound a tad overdone...
                      It's all about coffee. Nothing is too much.

Crossbreeding coffee....is it possible? Could I grow a hybrid type of coffee....(myself)...and submit it? Other than finding a specific place..purchasing and submitting?
                      Well, when you say cross breeding, I wonder what you are thinking? You do understand that there are really only two or so types of coffee: Arabica (the preferred, and higher quality), and Robusta (much lower quality; you typically find it in cheaper brands of ground coffee).

The many types of coffee you see are all named after the region they are grown in. When you see blends, they are simply blends of various regions. No one in their right mind would deliberately blend Arabica with Robusta and expect something superior to the original Arabica. Sometimes you see a bean referred to as Peaberry. This refers to the size, and the fact that it must be picked by hand. It isn't a separate type. While it is possible to cross breed, it is not something worth your while.

I bet this has been ask...But truthfully..the climate is right..and I spoke to some people; I have an idea.
                      Who ever you spoke to may know quite a bit about plants, but perhaps not so much about coffee. Nothing wrong, by the way, in growing your own. Climate, soil, and roasting technique all play a part in making a fine cup of coffee. Sure, it can get a lot more complicated, but those are the primary requirements.

Hope that helped.

Comment

Originally posted by shrdlu
                        It's all about coffee. Nothing is too much.

Well, when you say cross breeding, I wonder what you are thinking? You do understand that there are really only two or so types of coffee: Arabica (the preferred, and higher quality), and Robusta (much lower quality; you typically find it in cheaper brands of ground coffee).

The many types of coffee you see are all named after the region they are grown in. When you see blends, they are simply blends of various regions. No one in their right mind would deliberately blend Arabica with Robusta and expect something superior to the original Arabica. Sometimes you see a bean referred to as Peaberry. This refers to the size, and the fact that it must be picked by hand. It isn't a separate type. While it is possible to cross breed, it is not something worth your while.

Who ever you spoke to may know quite a bit about plants, but perhaps not so much about coffee. Nothing wrong, by the way, in growing your own. Climate, soil, and roasting technique all play a part in making a fine cup of coffee. Sure, it can get a lot more complicated, but those are the primary requirements.

Hope that helped.
                        This helped a great deal actually...Thanks for breaking down what is really needed; I feel more comfortable now...being that I didnt know about the growing/hybrid stuff...as well as the 'two-types', what you explained wwas very informative.

I was completely thrown off because I was looking at certain places...Sites...etc. which gave regional; but never the 'type's'.

SO thank you...and I'll give some more time to look into what exactly to do...Regionally; I'll have no problem in growing...So I think.

I'll check in periodically (or start a thread) with updates on ideas/growing in the coming months/weeks.

-Enven.
                        p.s. Has anyone tried this companies coffee? http://www.stumptowncoffee.com/
                        A paranoid is someone who knows a little of what's going on.
                        -
                        William S. Burroughs

Comment

Originally posted by enven
                          This helped a great deal actually...Thanks for breaking down what is really needed; I feel more comfortable now...being that I didnt know about the growing/hybrid stuff...as well as the 'two-types', what you explained wwas very informative.
                          We aim to please.

I was completely thrown off because I was looking at certain places...Sites...etc. which gave regional; but never the 'type's'.
                          It's because the region is what makes it good (or not good). Jamiacan Blue Mountain is called that for a reason; Kona Peaberry, Ethiopian Harrar, Moka Java (and that isn't a funny spelling for chocolate flavored, it's an area in Arabia) are all fine coffees from specific regions.

SO thank you...and I'll give some more time to look into what exactly to do...Regionally; I'll have no problem in growing...So I think.
                          It's harder than you think. You don't say what region, but consider that some of the best come from rich, volcanic island or mountain soil. Climate and soil are paramount.

I'll check in periodically (or start a thread) with updates on ideas/growing in the coming months/weeks.
                          Start a new thread. I'm sure you're not the only interested grower out there.

Comment

Working...
                          X