Source for Dry Ice in Vegas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for Dry Ice in Vegas

Last year I aquired dry ice from these guys (http://www.reddyice.com/) which was fine, except you needed a car to get there. I'm not going to have a car this year.

Any locals or near locals know of a place where I could aquire dry ice near the hotel? Any grocery stores or anything? I need it once again for the BCCC and it's not like I can pack the stuff in my luggage.
    Never drink anything larger than your head!

Re: Source for Dry Ice in Vegas

you could always explain to TSA that it was your brothers dying wish to be buried in the Las Vegas desert, so you're transporting him piece by piece under the guise of attending a computer conference...

or simply ... run through the terminals shouting I FOUND HAN SOLO!!!

I would offer a ride, but our plans changed to flying with my recent job change, so we will not have a vehicle after all.
    if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

I got the quarks dry ice last year from Smiths grocery store. It was semi-convenient to the AP but would be a long drive this year. Maybe a place with delivery will do it :)
      --- The fuck? Have you ever BEEN to Defcon?

Comment

I wanna think there's a grocery store on Flamingo, but i am not 100% sure. Locals, where are you?!
        ======================================
        DJ Jackalope
        dopest dj in the galaxy. *mwah!*

send in the drop bears!
        ======================================

Comment

I asked google maps dry ice near 2901 Las Vegas Blvd S, Las Vegas, NV

And 2 degrees of clicks later, I found this:
          http://www.partypop.com/Categories/I...Ice/Nevada.htm
          Originally posted by url
          Dry Ice Suppliers will deliver Ice Blocks of Dry Ice, or Traditional Blocks of Ice. A Dry Ice Supplier working in conjunction with a special Ice House will deliver within a certain mileage, be sure to ask the supplier how far they are willing to travel.
          http://www.partypop.com/Categories/I.../Las_Vegas.htm
          Originally posted by url2
          Reddy Ice Corp, Las Vegas, NV 702-649-8002
          (Same as the one you found)

Do they deliver? Their site does not specify distance, cost, or minimum order for delivery. Maybe you can go in with others to get a larger order for cheaper delivery if that is required?

Another place appears to be about the same distance:
          http://www.andersondairy.com/
          Anderson Dairy Inc 702-642-7507
          801 Searles Ave, Las Vegas

They came up on similar searches for dry ice providers in Las Vegas, but I don't see dry ice as a product or delivery info.

Comment

Think of that poor liquor store by the AP that will not have our business this year!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan
              I asked google maps dry ice near 2901 Las Vegas Blvd S, Las Vegas, NV

And 2 degrees of clicks later, I found this:
              http://www.partypop.com/Categories/I...Ice/Nevada.htm

http://www.partypop.com/Categories/I.../Las_Vegas.htm
              (Same as the one you found)

Do they deliver? Their site does not specify distance, cost, or minimum order for delivery. Maybe you can go in with others to get a larger order for cheaper delivery if that is required?

Another place appears to be about the same distance:
              http://www.andersondairy.com/
              Anderson Dairy Inc 702-642-7507
              801 Searles Ave, Las Vegas

They came up on similar searches for dry ice providers in Las Vegas, but I don't see dry ice as a product or delivery info.

The Dairy and Reddyice are actually the same building (went there last year).

I did the same search last year and found the same conclusion. I was more asking if any locals knew if any nearby grocery stores had dry ice.

One option I just thought of was the hotel itself. They likely have it brought in for whatever reason, might be able to scam a few pounds. I think I'll be calling the kitchen.

Comment

(FROM http://www.dryiceinfo.com/)

GARBAGE DISPOSAL VOLCANO
                A fantastic simulated volcano can be made in a sink with a garbage disposal. Run hot water and put one to two pound pieces Dry Ice into your garbage disposal. When you turn the disposal on it will make a marvelous eruption. Be sure to wear goggles as the hot water and ejected Dry Ice could be dangerous. See also Volcano in our "Science/ School Projects" section.

DRY ICE "FIRECRACKERS"
                Small pieces of Dry Ice placed in an empty one liter plastic soda bottle and then filled ¼ to ½ with hot water may explode 2 to 120 seconds after the top is tightly screwed on. It also may crack anywhere and just fizzle. Wear gloves and eye protection because the resulting explosion may dangerously push out pieces of the plastic bottle or the bottle top. A woman in Houston standing too close lost her eye from the ejected bottle top, so make sure no one is holding the bottle nor anyone is near it when it explodes. Although the explosion sprays mostly carbon dioxide gas and water, many municipalities classify them with more dangerous firecrackers and outlaw them. Southern Utah's "Spectrum", reports: "It's a felony to drop a dry-ice bomb in Utah." Sometimes these dry ice bombs are called "terrorist devices" and people using them are arrested. In our area several teenagers were jailed for three days for setting off these Dry Ice firecrackers. The logical defense explains there is no chemical reaction - only a change in the state of matter - from a solid to a gas. Unfortunately there may be a high cost in lawyers fees to persuade a DA or judge of this fact. Therefore DO NOT DO THIS IF IT IS ILLEGAL IN YOUR COMMUNITY! For safety DO NOT EVER ALLOW CHILDREN TO DO THIS. Always supervise children around Dry Ice. Of course using anything other than plastic bottles is even more dangerous and by no means should ever be permitted!

As Luke Writes August 11, 2004: "To everyone who thinks those dry ice firecrackers or what we call Dry Ice Bombs are fun, think again. Me and two other friends got arrested for doing it so look at your city's laws before doing it. I did not get the idea from this website if you are wondering."

HOW TO MAKE FOG
                For each 15-minute period put 5 to 10 pounds of Dry Ice into 4 to 8 gallons of hot water. This will make lots of fog depending upon the temperature of the water and the size of the pieces of Dry Ice. Hotter water will make more fog. Very hot water will add its own rising steam to the vapor cloud. If there is no steam the fog will flow down hill and in the direction of any air movement. A small fan can help control the direction. Smaller pieces of Dry Ice with more surface area produce a greater volume of fog and cool the water down much faster. In both cases the result is more fog for a shorter amount of time. Keep the water hot with a hot plate, electric skillet, or some other heat source to produce fog for a longer time. Otherwise when the water gets too cold it must be replaced to continue the fog effects. If the container is completely filled with water the fog will flow over the sides the best. But the Dry Ice sublimation will vigorously bubble the water and splash it out. Even a ¾ filled container will splash some so place the container where spilled water will not ruin anything. The water vapor fog will also dampen the area it flows across. Be careful because after some time floors do get slippery.

Comment

You can make your own dry ice (video)
                  http://www.frost-stick.com/dryicepress.wmv

WORD OF WARNING:
                  DO NOT USE DRY ICE IN AN ENCLOSED CAR OR TRUCK.
                  AS DRY ICE MELTS IT DISPLACES OXYGEN, PRESENTING A SUFFICATION RISK!
                  --BC,

Comment

In Atlanta we just go down the street to the local Publix, that's how I've replicated Warp Core Breaches for about 3 parties. Didn't realize it was so hard to get in Vegas.

Al
                    "Are my pants...threatening you?"

Comment

Originally posted by alklloyd
                      In Atlanta we just go down the street to the local Publix, that's how I've replicated Warp Core Breaches for about 3 parties. Didn't realize it was so hard to get in Vegas.

Al
                      I'm sure it's not hard to get, but confirming it's availability at something like a publix or albertsons's is the trick. Kind of hard to check these things from Canada.

I've got an email into thier catering staff to see if they can do something.

Comment

found at my local food store:

carefull, this could happen to you... you might wanna bring your own from home....

http://23b.org/gallery/album159/aia
                        the fresh prince of 1337

To learn how to hack; submit your request

Comment

there is a Smith's just up Sahara ... not too far from the hotel
                          If I had a nickle for every time someone offered me ten cents to keep my two cents to myself... I would be a rich man.

Comment

Originally posted by Siviak
                            there is a Smith's just up Sahara ... not too far from the hotel
                            Thank you!

The hotel would'nt help for liability reasons (of course)

Comment

Just to confirm, I live here in vegas and almost every Smiths do sell dry ice.
                              ,.-~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸-(_HAX0R_)-,.-~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸
                              Active matrix, man. A million psychedelic colors. Man, baby, sweet, ooo!

Comment

Working...
                              X