Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So you think your coffee is better than JBM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So you think your coffee is better than JBM?

For multiple years in a row, Jamaican Blue Mountain won Coffee Wars. Last year, finally, an outstanding Kona took its rightful place at the top. Think your favorite is better?

Here's the rules:

http://www.coffeewars.org/rules.shtml

Here's where to submit:

You can send email directly to foofus at foofus dot net, letting him know that you're planning on submitting your fine varietal (Ethiopian Yergacheffe is an example) or amazing blend. No obvious commercial blends, please, but small roasting houses are always popular (Peet's yes, Starbucks no).

Bring it on!

Re: So you think your coffee is better than JBM?

In addition, my cohort in crime, Mr Rufus Faloofus, says:

Originally posted by foofus
    CoffeeWars will be Friday AM, when the contest area opens (I assume 9:00 or 10:00, but I don't know such details off the top of my head at this point). We'll be sending out our announcement in the next couple of weeks, but basically all you have to do is show up at that time with your beans (whole beans, unflavored, not decaf-- 1/2 lb is plenty).
    He is, of course, wrong. Half a pound is plenty if *I* don't like it. Otherwise, bring a pound.

Comment

I know - No questions but - Do I need to bring my own grinders or will the brewers grind the beans?
      DaKahuna

Comment

Originally posted by DaKahuna
        I know - No questions but - Do I need to bring my own grinders or will the brewers grind the beans?
        Everything is done by the judges (you know that it has to be freshly ground to be good). The coffee is handed over to Foofus, who assigns it an ID, places an appropriate amount in a plastic container, labels the container, and sets it aside. The bag is then set aside, where the judges don't see it. At brewing time, each coffee gets its turn. All are ground the same, have the same amount of water, same brand of drip coffee maker, and same person doing the measuring, grinding, and serving. Judges partake, and vote (on forms provided for the purpose), using the ID provided.

Contestants are not usually judges, although judges may also be contestants.

All judges are *required* to drink a cup of coffee before the actual judging starts, so as to prevent the "first cup of coffee is always the best" syndrome. The amount of coffee poured and drank per entry is about 1/3 or 1/4 cup. Enough to get a taste, not so much as to cause any of the weaker judges to have heart problems. Judges are expected to taste every coffee, no matter how bad it smells (and there have been some that were obviously going to be bad).

Comment

Pearberry it shall be - the question is whether or not to mix it with something else .. heck with it - maybe two entries - one pure peaberry and one peaberry+something else.
          DaKahuna

Comment

Originally posted by DaKahuna
            Pearberry it shall be - the question is whether or not to mix it with something else .. heck with it - maybe two entries - one pure peaberry and one peaberry+something else.
            Peaberry what? JBM Peaberry? Kona Peaberry? I advise against blending; please, if you decide to, enter it as a blend, naming what you used to blend it with. The best I've ever had was one half each JBM and Red Mountain Kona. I could have died happy, right there with the empty cup in my hand.

Comment

Originally posted by shrdlu
              Peaberry what? JBM Peaberry? Kona Peaberry? I advise against blending; please, if you decide to, enter it as a blend, naming what you used to blend it with. The best I've ever had was one half each JBM and Red Mountain Kona. I could have died happy, right there with the empty cup in my hand.
              I am going to bring a Kona Peaberry from a company that I fell in love with when I lived on Oahu. They also have a pretty decent dark blend that I believe is very tasty as well.

So - Kona it is, two types.
              DaKahuna

Comment

Working...
              X