Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toxicbbq.com: Food Run Addendum

UPDATE! :
    The food run meetup will gather at the Riviera outside of the convention registration area. (map) Towards the right-hand side of the map you'll see a clear depiction of the parking garage; look up. This will also give folks access to a last minute restroom stop.

I suspect that if too many folks gather, we will be asked to clear the hallway/area .. in which case we'll simply exit out the accompanying entrance. If you don't see folks inside for the BBQ at the times designated, check the area immediately outside.. or if someone is there, ask someone at registration and they'll likely point you out the door that they just tossed us out through. If you still don't find people for the BBQ, you're probably too early or too late. Either wait or find an alternate means to catch up with us.. bug another person or two at the con and offer to split cab fair.. or find someone with a car and buy them a beer.. or something.

Other notes for the food run: If you're attending the food run, please bring cash. Be prepared to pay for the things that you throw into the cart(s) .. this is generally not a problem, but the first year there were a handful of folks that had to pony up $20s to make the bill check out. No one got gouged, no one is/was complaining.. just a little text to encourage consideration ;) It has been recommended that folks bring *some* smaller bills, since denominations of only $20s often make for difficult change and/or resolutions. It sounds like there will be more folks with Sams/Costco memberships this year; the more in attendance, the easier/faster checkout goes. ..but if you don't have one, don't feel compelled to get one.. someone will have this covered.
    if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Re: toxicbbq.com: Food Run Addendum

Can we go to the dog pound afterwards?

Comment

The map linked to by converge has been updated to inclue text (red) along the top right with an arrow pointing to the registration office and hallway.

Comment

Since my friends pretty much used you guys as a free dinner last year, I'd love to throw some money in someone's direction (beforehand is probably easier than merely following people to the food run). Note that this is on top of money I've set aside for Deviant's massive meat purchase.

If I actually make the Riviera meet-up this year, I'll be offering rides as well.

Anybody know anything about grilling food on an engine? It fits with the theme (toxic food, hacker mentality of using waste in creative ways), and I like the idea of "Cooked In Transit".

Comment

Kinda like http://www.instructables.com/id/E4JK...7XU5/?ALLSTEPS ?
          if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Originally posted by converge
            Exactly. Has anyone here tried this out? If so, any tips?

I'll have to dig up a copy of Manifest Destiny. It sounds quite amusing.

Comment

what about sauce? i could bring a nice sampling of KC style <troll>which is the only good bbq style</troll> sauces so nobody has to suffere through the sams club brand.
              jur1st, esq.

Comment

Originally posted by jur1st
                what about sauce? i could bring a nice sampling of KC style <troll>which is the only good bbq style</troll> sauces so nobody has to suffere through the sams club brand.
                OHG! I can't believe you said that with a straight face. You also must think that there is a place for beef in bar-b-que!

North Carolina vinegar style bar-b-que is the world's best sauce, especially when tabasco is added, and "pork fat rules" just in case there was ever a question.

Bar-b-que and grilling are not one and the same!
                DaKahuna

Comment

Mmmmm, KC Style fire breathin' hot sauce!!!! Can't handle vinegar sauces anymore (that Memphis stuff just about kills me), major heartburn for my abused digestive system.

You're right, good Q != grilling. Good Q = smokin'! Don't think we'll have time for that though!

As far as beef and Q, burnt ends with some Fiorella's fire sauce is about the best smoked brisket I have ever had in my life. I love pork, but smoked brisket is one of my all time favs.

Comment

Well, I've had some good and I've had some bad but since I can't bring a grill or smoker on the airplane with me, I guess I'll just have to find a nice thick steak somewhere or pitch in with someone who is going to cook a brisket, pork butt or whatever and kick back and enjoy!
                    DaKahuna

Comment

Cheers.

I've done a small 1-2 lb brisket in a couple hours with foiled wood chip packs on a grill, but they never really come out well.

Anyway, I'm with you. A good steak, some cold brew, and just relaxin' a bit. Always had too much other stuff to take care of so never made a TBBQ event. Looking forward to this.

Figure I'll just buy a cheapo grill in Vegas, then toss it. If you feel like some shrimp or stuffed peppers, stop on by, I plan on making a bunch to share.

Comment

I loved grilled seafood as much as I love a good steak. One look at me and you can't tell I have not missed many food offers!

Logistics of my arrival are still up in the air (am at BlackHat on the 3rd and last session wraps around 6 PM) and I've offered to meet someone at the Riviera as soon as BH is over and give them a ride so it may be 7 or so when I get to the site.
                        DaKahuna

Comment

Originally posted by Voltage Spike
                          Deviant's massive meat purchase
                          this year i will be again placing an order with the Seattle-area business Exotic Meats. i'm up for suggestions, etc. like last time. the owner assured me that the snafu with shipping last year will not be repeated. god, i hate UPS. why does anyone ever still use them? fedex, people!
                          "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                          - Trent Reznor

Comment

Ok, for those wanting sauces...I'll probably try and pick up the following. if there are requests, for the rest i could bring some of those as well.

Definitely appearing:
                            Firoella's Extra Hot
                            Gates Extra Hot
                            Haywards
                            Goober's Number 47 (secret recipe)

Possible if requested:
                            Arthur Bryant's

on the exotic meat page: $15 for rabbit? granted, i'm a little odd and am retreating to my cabin in the woods for the next 6 days (get off my land) but that seems excessive.

PM me if you have any other special sauce requests. I know that there are so many parts of the country which are Q deprived, so i'm happy to oblige.

"ribs and whiskey make my mind feel tight"
                            jur1st, esq.

Comment

Originally posted by jur1st
                              on the exotic meat page: $15 for rabbit?....that seems excessive.
                              Maybe they got it in a pet store?

Comment

Working...
                              X