This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hacker Jeopardy Suggestions/Questions/Comments

Got questions, suggestions, comments, concerns or anything else regarding Hacker Jeopardy at DC14? Post it here!

Re: Hacker Jeopardy Suggestions/Questions/Comments

9pm this year?
    if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Originally posted by converge
      9pm this year?
      Yep, two rounds on Friday and Saturday night.

Comment

Since there is alcohol consumption in this event, do all team members need to be 21+?
        Aut disce aut discede

Comment

one of the few major complaints i had at the Alexis Park was the fact that we got hassled to shit about bringing our own alcohol into Hacker Jeopardy the past few years. do we know how the Riv is planning on behaving when it comes to people bringing their own drinks places? i know that skyboxes were mentioned as specific zones where the Riv will be operating bars and therefore disallowing outside hooch... but what about the talks, games, events, etc taking place in public areas? i really don't want to haul buckets of ice and beer all the way down from my room just to be given shit in a hallway or doorway.
          "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
          - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
            one of the few major complaints i had at the Alexis Park was the fact that we got hassled to shit about bringing our own alcohol into Hacker Jeopardy the past few years. do we know how the Riv is planning on behaving when it comes to people bringing their own drinks places? i know that skyboxes were mentioned as specific zones where the Riv will be operating bars and therefore disallowing outside hooch... but what about the talks, games, events, etc taking place in public areas? i really don't want to haul buckets of ice and beer all the way down from my room just to be given shit in a hallway or doorway.
            This was answered elsewhere when someone tried doing to research, and when I find the post, I'll link to it from here.

The summary of the answer was:
            If you were not obvious about it, and made an attempt to conceal the alcohol in transport, that you should be able to do it, but there would not be "beer police" looking for people bringing in beer.

[Added:]
            It seems the comment was specific to the skybox.

The most obvious answer, seems to me, to not use the front door when bringing in any beer. Also, if bringing in beer, it would be most wise to encapsulate your cargo in something less suspiscious.
            Last edited by TheCotMan; July 24, 2006, 14:19. Reason: link added

Comment

Unfortunately, there will be NO OUTSIDE ALCOHOL ALLOWED FOR CONTESTANTS during the HJ event. Given that you're going to be on camera, watched by up to 1,000 people and taped, etc. etc. etc.

Audience members, etc.--same rules apply as will be explained at con. (This may be "don't be stupid" or "please just don't.", I'm aware of a firm decision made to that effect.)

Besides, why would you bring your own when you get points for drinking the free ones? ;)

Comment

Originally posted by AlxRogan
                Since there is alcohol consumption in this event, do all team members need to be 21+?
                No, but obviously, under 21 contestants will not be able to drink. This will naturally put them at a statistical disadvantage. ;)

CONTESTANTS MUST BE AT LEAST 18, however.

Comment

one of the few major complaints i had at the Alexis Park was the fact that we got hassled to shit about bringing our own alcohol into Hacker Jeopardy the past few years.
                  Actually, I didn't see a single person get hassled last year ... even those who were openly bringing in a shit-ton of stuff.

Originally posted by nickfarr
                  Unfortunately, there will be NO OUTSIDE ALCOHOL ALLOWED FOR CONTESTANTS

<snip>

Audience members, etc.--same rules apply as will be explained at con.
                  No outside alcohol allowed for audience members? Is this a hotel rule or one of the contest organizers? Or perhaps you intended some other "same rules"?

Comment

Originally posted by Voltage Spike
                    No outside alcohol allowed for audience members? Is this a hotel rule or one of the contest organizers? Or perhaps you intended some other "same rules"?
                    For certain drinks like pure Vodka, a clear-plastic water bottle as a container would seem to work. for beer, and other drinks a bicyclist-style opaque water bottle might work.

Those "wax" or "paper" cups that you get at fast food places are also opaque. Lids cover contents, and the straw can alwys be ditched later.

With so many creative people, I really don't see how finding ways to hide alcohol will be anything close to difficult.

Imagine that... a bunch of hackers all walking around with water bottles.

"Why are these cyclists acting crazy?"
                    "It's the water."

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan
                      Those "wax" or "paper" cups that you get at fast food places are also opaque. Lids cover contents, and the straw can alwys be ditched later.
                      it would look a bit funny if we rolled up to the hacker jeopardy room pulling a little red radio flyer wagon (which was used in the past) packed full of ice and dozens of taco bell cups. "yeah, uhm... we had the fire sauce on our burritos and it made us really thirsty."

while all of the above-described techniques work well if you're trying to bring in a single personal serving or two, they fall short if you're trying to get cases of beer in the room, which tends to be our goal. after all, if something's worth doing, it's worth doing right.
                      "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                      - Trent Reznor

Comment

while all of the above-described techniques work well if you're trying to bring in a single personal serving or two, they fall short if you're trying to get cases of beer in the room, which tends to be our goal. after all, if something's worth doing, it's worth doing right.
                        Oh. I was addressing the single-user issue for people in the audience.
                        You want something for larger shipments?

A large wheelchair, properly modified with drapes. or a rear-mounted bag can probably transport 3 cases of beer under the seat... what? 12 six-packs per wheelchair trip?

If you want to transport a keg, it gets a little more difficult. However, how many kegs would fit inside a full-sized rack and enclosure with mirrored door, and modifications to make it seem like there are a bunch of 1,2,3 and 4U systems with blinking lights as a fascade to what it really contains.

"What is that box?"
                        "Ohhh, this is the mainfraim that ensure the questions provided by contestants are entertaining-- err correct."

Single kegs could be part of a robotic costume too, and with the B&W ball, an uncommon outfit would not seem abnormal. Each robotic costume could transport a full keg, for each trip.

"Ohh look! Here comes the beer robot!"

Or, a retrofitted fatsuit!

Sure, a wagon is meant as a toy for the innocence of childhood, but when used to transpot beer, provides a contrast between expected used, and actual use, but there are other ideas too!

Why is is that I have to come up with these ideas?

Comment

Paint the cans white/red/whatever and hope they slip by as soda?

Find a snowboarder? I think those guys usually pack two cases into their clothes before heading up the hill.

Fill a backpack with something innocuous and keep walking in and out until security gets tired of checking ... then pull a fast one on them?

Fill up renderman's trench coat until he looks like a normal, healthy human being?

Fill an inflatable beach ball with alcohol? (Actually, I might have to try that...)

Give it to a goon to sneak in ahead of time? (I'm sure they won't shave too much off the top.)

Comment

A large wheelchair, properly modified with drapes. or a rear-mounted bag can probably transport 3 cases of beer under the seat... what? 12 six-packs per wheelchair trip?
                            hah! and all you folks thought that priest had really injured his leg.. FOOLS!

Or, a retrofitted fatsuit!
                            Fill up renderman's trench coat
                            hmmm.... a warpack mod would be too suspicious.. so mod the wardriver.. I like it.

Fill an inflatable beach ball
                            Inflatable sex dolls were never this fun!

Give it to a goon to sneak in ahead of time?
                            Yeah, you do that.. I'm sure they'll 'keep it safe'
                            if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

A little of column A and B:

There's been some post-game grief about people who had fifths/gin/etc. not getting "more points" than those who consumed straight beer. This led to last-minute scoring changes/inconsistencies/etc. over the years. (Winn being intoxicated at the end of the games didn't help matters.)

Simple solution: One standard. DC supplied beer. Special number of points per beer. (However, this will also be limited to a team can "max out" their beer points.)

People have gotten really, really, really trashed in previous years during HJ. The goal here is to limit the exposure so that people are "entertainingly drunk" not "emergency room bound."

3) Booze in the audience is a Security Goon issue as far as I'm concerned, and I have no input into the ground rules there. ;) If they set down the "no booze" rule, so be it....but I haven't been briefed on that yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X