random hardware scrounging / begging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• random hardware scrounging / begging

so, it looks like my projector may be on shaky ground. i've gotten lamp overheat warnings more often than i care to when using it recently, and the trip across country might be too much for it.

we wanted to have a projector setup in the lockpick village for use with slides, videos, etc. during our teaching presentations. is there any chance that someone could temporarily donate one to Toool for use during con? it will be treated with the same care and protection that all our other equipment will see... that means no public individuals getting to monkey with it and a locked place of storage at night.

speaking of locked storage, we have another request... one that is nowhere near as tall an order as the projector. instead of using locking containers in the skybox (which would be way too huge to fly with and too expensive to ship) we will likely just be taking hardware back to my room when closing up shop at night. in the past at the Alexis, i just boosted a room-service type cart and used it to trolley around all the gear. i'd rather not "borrow" hardware from our new hosts, the Riviera, right out of the gate... does anyone have a food-service or A/V equipment type cart that we could use during DefCon to move shit around? same rules as mentioned above apply... it will be well cared for and not left unlocked at night.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: random hardware scrounging / begging

Damn - Wish I had known this yesterday and I could have brought a projector. However since my office is in MD and I am already here in Vegas, I can't help.

What's Best Buy's return policy. Money back? May be cheaper than renting if no one has one to spare.
    DaKahuna

Comment

I do have a infocus LP770, but the bulb is toasted and Ive not been able to get another yet.

If anyone has a compatible bulb, id be happy to bring the projector.

-goathead
      If a chicken and a half, can lay an egg and a half, in a day and a half... how long would it take a monkey, with a wooden leg, to kick the seeds out of a dill pickle?

Comment

Originally posted by DaKahuna
        What's Best Buy's return policy. Money back? May be cheaper than renting if no one has one to spare.
        Fry's Electronics - 30-day loan of all equipment with 100% deposit ;)

We've done this a few times for conferences, etc. where we needed gear for the weekend but didn't want to actually buy it. When you're returning an access point and four repeaters they look at you kind of funny, but all you need to tell them is that it wasn't suitable for your needs and they'll refund (or do a chargeback) on the spot.

Fry's sucks goats for nickels, but a map of their Las Vegas store is here. Phone number's (702) 932-1400.

Comment

Originally posted by skroo
          Fry's sucks goats for nickels...
          So, you got outbid? ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
            So, you got outbid? ;-)
            Naw. Deadbeat bidder. I'm in the quarter league, and it was too rich for his blood.

Comment

Working...
            X