X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DrFaustus
    replied
    Re: Announcing Brew Wars for DC15

I'm trying to find the person who brewed the Hefe. You took off before I collected names to post the results. Get a hold of me so I can give you proper credit.

Leave a comment:

• DrFaustus
    replied

Originally posted by jjarmoc View Post
    I totally missed brew wars :( Didn't hear about it until I was already in Vegas. If I had known, I could've brought at least 4-5 beers to enter. So...

... will this be happening again next year? If I could make a suggestion, it might be worthwhile to have one primary style and announce it early enough for people to brew. Not that entries would have to be limited, but it could lead to some more direct competition.

Also, I'm up for mead and cider entries as well if there's any chance of expanding it. Maybe I'll just bring some mead next year either way - i'm sure there'd be some people interested in sampling.

Happy brewing!
    Yeah, we'll be running it again. Hopefully with a better turn out next year.

The reason I left the styles wide open was to foster as many entries as possible.

There were two people who showed up with mead. I'm going to try to bring a competition for mead under my umbrella next year. However, I won't be judging it. I simply don't know enough about mead to do that.

Leave a comment:

• jjarmoc
    replied

I totally missed brew wars :( Didn't hear about it until I was already in Vegas. If I had known, I could've brought at least 4-5 beers to enter. So...

... will this be happening again next year? If I could make a suggestion, it might be worthwhile to have one primary style and announce it early enough for people to brew. Not that entries would have to be limited, but it could lead to some more direct competition.

Also, I'm up for mead and cider entries as well if there's any chance of expanding it. Maybe I'll just bring some mead next year either way - i'm sure there'd be some people interested in sampling.

Happy brewing!

Leave a comment:

• Joia
    replied

Originally posted by BraeSmit View Post
    Apropos of the other non-beer-brew people here, I think we should have a not-entirely dissociated non-beer-brew "contest", because we seem to have a small crowd gathering. I may have some interesting things to bring, assuming I can get past TSA.
    Here's hoping this came through. I'll be packing a sampling of my meads with me tomorrow!

Leave a comment:

• DrFaustus
    replied

I received the following advise from Rman. It may be of interest to you!

-

Just registered, so wont be able to post for a while.

I think the contest is a fantastic idea, I'm planning on bringing out a brew or two to throw my hat in the ring.

A lot of people seem to be concerned about keeping their brew cool and having a way to get it to the con so you might want to pass along this advice that I've received for getting samples to beer contests.

I would suggest doing it the way brewshops sell liquid yeast. Small UPS box, just agianst policy there not illegal so you dont have to deal with any issues if the box gets ripped open, brew along with a few gel ice packs, wrap in bubble wrap and have it sent to your hotel in Vegas. Should keep it well within the good beer temperature range if done right.

Leave a comment:

• DrFaustus
    replied

This is just a reminder!

We will be running this contest outside, by the EFF dunk tank, at noon on Friday.

We will be running it along side the beverage cooling contraption contest.

No, we will not be using the contraptions to cool your beer. I highly recommend you bring it at the temperature you want it to be judged at. I'd also recommend having it in some sort of container that will hold up to the heat of Las Vegas, at noon, in August!

Leave a comment:

• Pyr0
    replied

Faustus,
    If you need another judge let me know!
    -Pyr0

Leave a comment:

• SaintPatrick
    replied

Originally posted by Synapse View Post
    Has there been any update on the brew wars? This thread hasn't gone anywhere.
    Will this take place?

I got a Lager that will be done in about 3 weeks.
    Already tested it, (using force carbonation). Pretty decent.

and a second ale just starting.

Anyone else that has some brewing going on?
    I'm friggin' stoked about the Brew Wars. I'm loading up some of my famous JalapeƱo Draught and probably another. I'm just praying the heat of the drive doesn't totally screw with it.

Leave a comment:

• DrFaustus
    replied

Originally posted by DJ Jackalope View Post
    Faustus,
    how much beer would you need for tasting? 12oz? More?
    The aiplane restrictions are making checking beer difficult.
    As stated earlier I am telling everyone to bring two bottles. We really don't need two, but the second is just in case something happens to the other one. Each judge is only going to get a few ounces of each beer to judge it. Just enough give it a good taste.

Leave a comment:

• DJ Jackalope
    replied

Faustus,
    how much beer would you need for tasting? 12oz? More?
    The aiplane restrictions are making checking beer difficult.

Leave a comment:

• DrFaustus
    replied

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
    not trying to force you to have the event anyplace you don't wish... but you certainly can bring your own beer to the outdoor space next to the contest room floor... otherwise the BCCC wouldn't be able to operate there.

if you still were intersted in a side-by-side event, feel free to consider that option, as i run the BCCC at noon on friday.
    Well, if that's the case it sounds like a good idea. That is out by the EFF Dunk Tank, right?

That'd work just fine, and is better than holding it in my hotel room!

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied

Originally posted by DrFaustus View Post
    It will not happen along side another event. It would be great if that was possible, but it is not.

The hotel does not allow us to bring the beer in to the convention space. Due to that restriction it cannot be run next to another event.
    not trying to force you to have the event anyplace you don't wish... but you certainly can bring your own beer to the outdoor space next to the contest room floor... otherwise the BCCC wouldn't be able to operate there.

if you still were intersted in a side-by-side event, feel free to consider that option, as i run the BCCC at noon on friday.

Leave a comment:

• DrFaustus
    replied

Yes, it is going to happen.

It will not happen along side another event. It would be great if that was possible, but it is not.

The hotel does not allow us to bring the beer in to the convention space. Due to that restriction it cannot be run next to another event.

It won't be held during the BBQ, because too many people aren't in town at that point.

Right now it looks like it will go down on Friday afternoon, but I'm not going to set anything in stone until I hear it from Russ.

I've already stated how the beer will be judged. You can check the contest page on the official DC sight if you missed that.

As far as transporting the beer to DC, I will leave that up to you.

The winning prize will be a glass carboy. I'd have to ship it to Defcon, so I've decided to ship it directly to the winner's choice of address instead. I doubt anybody really wants to try to haul that on an airplane or take up that much space in their car anyhow.

The carboy will have some sort of logo sandblasted in. I'm sure anybody would be happy to brew their next batch with a one of a kind carboy!

Speaking of logos...I'm not a graphic artist and could use help designing a logo if anybody out there is more right hemisphere than me.

Dr. Faustus

Leave a comment:

• Synapse
    replied

Has there been any update on the brew wars? This thread hasn't gone anywhere.
    Will this take place?

I got a Lager that will be done in about 3 weeks.
    Already tested it, (using force carbonation). Pretty decent.

and a second ale just starting.

Anyone else that has some brewing going on?
    Last edited by Synapse; June 2, 2007, 21:17.

Leave a comment:

• Z^2
    replied

Apropos of the other non-beer-brew people here, I think we should have a not-entirely dissociated non-beer-brew "contest", because we seem to have a small crowd gathering. I may have some interesting things to bring, assuming I can get past TSA.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X