Anyone using a RISC proc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone using a RISC proc?

Anyone here happen to be running any of the Linux distros on a RISC proc? Just curious. I have access to a few and wasn't sure what they were good for. Thanks.
    I got a .45 and a shovel, and I ain't afraid to use either.

Re: Anyone using a RISC proc?

I know you can install Gentoo on that type of proc. They are best used for something what only has a few task like take one packet from one network and put it on another :) yes, router. thats about it. I have some other software what is < 500mb and is for just that to install a router OS. I know it starts with an A. I am at work. so when I get home I will post the name of it. I will also check to see if it works with RISC.

The RISC proc need to be PA-RISC to work with Gentoo/Debian/Ubuntu.
    Here is a good link for a gentoo install guide for a risc cpu
    The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of life, your memories, your attachments.
    They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you, he said. They're freeing your soul. So, if you're frightened of dying and... and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth.

Comment

I got 2 quad risc HP 9000 sun servers sitting in my storage. Both support have 2 750mhz cpu's, I was also wondering if there was any application for them. I dont deal with sun equipment and happened to get these along with a lot of servers I purchased.

Comment

Not anymore.
        45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
        45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
        [ redacted ]

Comment

Thanks for the info. Like I said, I have a few sitting around, just figured they might be used for something. I'll toy with an idea I have and see if it works.
          I got a .45 and a shovel, and I ain't afraid to use either.

Comment

The IBM RS/6000s were RISC units, and used to run s IBM's AIX. There are several HOWTOs out there on getting Linux to run on them, so it's a possiblity.
            Thorn
            "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

i have openbsd on some alpha, sparc32, and sparc64 hardware

Comment

Working...
              X