Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What style of tunes do you want to hear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What style of tunes do you want to hear?

Hey there,
    I'm not the person who will be picking out the djs/bands/whichever for the Ball(s?), but I was just curious what types of things you guys wanted. Hopefully the results from this will help selection so we have a higher attendance.
    Industrial/Darkwave
    29.41%
    Live Bands (non electronic)
    14.71%
    Live Bands (electronic)
    20.59%
    House - Breaks - Progressive - Electro
    14.71%
    Jungle/Drum and Bass
    11.76%
    Country Music
    5.88%
    Epic Trance
    2.94%
    ======================================
    DJ Jackalope
    dopest dj in the galaxy. *mwah!*

send in the drop bears!

Re: What style of tunes do you want to hear?

i heart house music ... electroclash especially

Comment

I like music that people play on real instruments
      45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
      45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
      [ redacted ]

Comment

I notice that country music was not on the list. Must have been an honest mistake.
        "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

Slayer... all night.
          You're either on my side or else you're in the way.

Comment

One of the reasons I look forward to the annual trip to the desert is to hear music that I don't hear in the Midwest. All the electronic music is tremendous...especially the harder music that I wouldn't hear even if I went to the striped shirt bars and clubs around KC.

If country is an option, shouldn't shitty trance be on the list too?
            jur1st, esq.

Comment

Originally posted by jur1st
              shouldn't shitty trance be on the list too?
              hahaha... "anthem trance" baby! (for those who haven't heard of that classification, i'll quote from Iskur's Guide to Electronic Music)
              Originally posted by Iskur
              Progressive Trance actually had a pretty good idea. There's nothing wrong with some tension and release in your song. That's what people listen to music for. To bring the music down to a crawl before exploding out with a crescending climax is one of the best tricks in music. And besides, if the DJs are too stupid and inept to figure out how to provide adequate tension and release during their sets through careful track selection and record management, why not do it for them, essentially removing any skill they thought they might've needed to have in order to be a good DJ.

Breakdowns, builds, and memorable melodies are not a new thing in trance. But what Anthem Trance did was completely and totally abuse and pervert them. Where Progressive Trance used them to somewhate accentuate the moment (like say a lull before the main synth kicks back in), Anthem Trance used them for the track's entire purpose. This cookie cutter, by-the-numbers formula dominated the english club scene and trance, once the quirky kind of music with only a niche market, reformed itself into a neverending series of pop jingles and by doing so supplaunted house as the most popular dance music in the world.
              incidentally, those who haven't ever checked out the above-linked guide really should give it a glance. it's flash-powered, totally interactive, loaded with example tracks, and actually tries to show the relationships between the massive number of electronic genres... tracing their evolution and interaction across the past five or six decades. how successful it is at defining categories and making connections is for others to decide (Jackalope, maybe? love to hear your opinions on this) as i am totally not knowledgable enough of the electronic world to judge the author's work.
              "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
              - Trent Reznor

Comment

ha, ok, Epic Trance added.

And thank you tons, Deviant, I have been looking for that URL to Iskur's for a couple weeks now to add to my book (yes, I am writing a book!). All my googling was failured.
                DJ Jackalope

send in the drop bears!

Comment

I'm not aquianted with the various genre's of electronic, I just know I like your work 'lope.

I do agree with jur1st that it's great to hear stuff you would'nt ordinarily hear back home, however it usually does'nt take long for me to decide if something is liked or not and if I should go find a party somewhere.

I prefer music with some sort of 'hook' into my/our culture. Minibosses play what we grew up listening to, Jackalope is one of us and also integrates some fun stuff in (What's the name of the mayspace stalker track?)

Just my useless input.
                  Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

Originally posted by renderman
                    What's the name of the mayspace stalker track?
                    "Stalking Yon on Myspace" by John B. i actually tossed a sample copy of that on my web server if people wanted to hear it.
                    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                    - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by theprez98
                      I notice that country music was not on the list. Must have been an honest mistake.
                      I should admit that this was truly meant as a joke, while I love country music, I'd never expect to see it at defcon or anywhere near the hacker community. But I do appreciate you adding it, and I will be the one vote.
                      "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

heehee, i'm out of spaces for other genres since the poll option only gives me like 6 spaces.You should be able to edit it again to add 2 more, and again, up to 10. (Part of the leader/organizer thing with poll editin in the related subforum.)
                        DJ Jackalope

send in the drop bears!

Comment

Originally posted by theprez98
                          I agree. There has to have been a mistake in the compilation of the types of music for C&W to have been left off.
                          DaKahuna

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Jackalope
                            And thank you tons, Deviant, I have been looking for that URL to Iskur's for a couple weeks now to add to my book (yes, I am writing a book!). All my googling was failured.
                            seeing as he is currently remaking it, i would suggest linking to http://www.ishkur.com/music/ as well

Comment

After DJing the Saturday night pool 2 party at DEFCON 13 last year, I recieved some good feedback since then - people who appreciated the mix of generes I spun that people had not heard at DEFCON before.

Comment

Working...
                              X