Torpark legit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torpark legit?

It's supposed to be a Firefox configured to use TOR 'out of the box'. Does anyone know much about this project?
    ..::800xl::..

Re: Torpark legit?

Originally posted by 800XL
    It's supposed to be a Firefox configured to use TOR 'out of the box'. Does anyone know much about this project?
    Other than having used it a couple of times (on machines I didn't have admin access to), not much. It seems to work as advertised, but I haven't done any major traffic analysis to confirm that.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

Originally posted by 800XL
      I've been using it over the last 3-5 months, it works seamlessly as advertised, you can surf the web pseudononymously. Torpark like the Tor network is great for privacy protection, but its all still beta software and nothing I would trust my life to, yet.

One issue to watch out for, Torpark software randomly routes through their server network (some 700-1100 machines) and there might be a chance that you could route through the Iranian or Chinese Tor servers (which we hope aren't watching traffic) but still a distinct possibility.

Given the ZKS Freedom Network couldn't find a marketplace back in 2001, this is the best thing since!

Mind you I have yet to play with the latest cDc release of Torpark, but I understand besides surfing the web anonymously, you can route GAIM through it now.
      Nonnumquam cupido magnas partes Interretis vincendi me corripit

Comment

Originally posted by erehwon
        Mind you I have yet to play with the latest cDc release of Torpark, but I understand besides surfing the web anonymously, you can route GAIM through it now.
        It's done automatically, GAIM+Tor, and called Scatterchat. I've also been able to manually route Yahoo Instant Messenger, Windows Live Messenger, and Trillian through Tor. No ICQ though, yet.

Comment

Originally posted by theprez98
          It's done automatically, GAIM+Tor, and called Scatterchat. I've also been able to manually route Yahoo Instant Messenger, Windows Live Messenger, and Trillian through Tor. No ICQ though, yet.
          Prez - Did you by any chance taken any notes on getting the 3rd party chat apps to work with Tor? I am looking for a way to run "Fire" through Tor on my Mac's.
          DaKahuna

Comment

Originally posted by DaKahuna
            Prez - Did you by any chance taken any notes on getting the 3rd party chat apps to work with Tor? I am looking for a way to run "Fire" through Tor on my Mac's.
            Tor simply acts a SOCKS proxy and any applications that support the protocol will work. Fire is not one of those applications. However...

The Tor Wiki details how to use socat to SOCKS-ify your application. If you were on Windows, you could use the application SocksCap to accomplish something similar (better?). Note that I haven't actually tried to do any of this, but it works in theory.

Comment

Originally posted by DaKahuna
              I followed the Guide to Torifying various applications. Trillian is on there, but some other IM applications are not. However, I followed the same format: SOCKSV5 protocol, localhost or 127.0.0.1, and port 9050, and that has seemed to work. Like I said I haven't done any extensive traffic analysis to confirm this. That's as far as I've gone.

Comment

Originally posted by theprez98
                It's done automatically, GAIM+Tor, and called Scatterchat.
                I think this is a little different than Scatterchat but on the same general path, Scatterchat is the cDc's instant messenger software with strong crypto, and using Tor is an option, even they admit that...

As of the time of this writing, Tor is still an experimental system. It should not currently be relied upon when strong anonymity is needed.
                Nonnumquam cupido magnas partes Interretis vincendi me corripit

Comment

So this seems to be some chat-thing online possibly, that ... well, I'm not sure if this will work with routing through Tor because I don't use it, but their site is www.meebo.com .

Have any of you heard of/used this before?
                  lurking...somewhere

Comment

Tor park is quite useful, especially because its based off of Portable Firefox, so it can be thrown on a USB card and carried with you. Also it does not Log anything, and erases all private info on close.

Comment

Working...
                    X