X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB Batteries

This has got to be the coolest thing I have seen in quite a long time:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=3448

I love the idea of being to charge from any USB port. Of course, that means an assumption one has a source of electricity. But what if not?

I have this cool bag with solar panels in it that has reliably charged all of my tech toys except for my lappy. And guess what? it has a USB port extention!

Intend on procurring a couple of these batteries to determine if and how quickly they could be recharged using solar.

If you are interested in the results, PM me.

Regards,

Valkyrie

Re: USB Batteries

that's so cool! heh, one could keep a small stock of those batteries on hand and then use them inside of a mintyboost! (if you haven't seen that little wonder before, it's really neat and a perfect example of the sort of stuff that the MAKE people come up with. also, reading lady ada's notes on designing and making the mintyboost are a kickass little read.)
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Comment

That is pretty original. Nice find!
      ..::800xl::..

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
        that's so cool! heh, one could keep a small stock of those batteries on hand and then use them inside of a mintyboost! (if you haven't seen that little wonder before, it's really neat and a perfect example of the sort of stuff that the MAKE people come up with. also, reading lady ada's notes on designing and making the mintyboost are a kickass little read.)
        Deviant --

That IS truly kickass! Thanks for sharing the link! (me goes in search of her tools and an altoids box...) :-)

stay shiny y'all

Valkyrie

Comment

Originally posted by valkyrie

I love the idea of being to charge from any USB port. Of course, that means an assumption one has a source of electricity. But what if not?

I have this cool bag with solar panels in it that has reliably charged all of my tech toys except for my lappy. And guess what? it has a USB port extention!

Intend on procurring a couple of these batteries to determine if and how quickly they could be recharged using solar.

If you are interested in the results, PM me.

Regards,

Valkyrie
          Any details on the bag with the solar panels? My laptop bag has an APC UPB60 in it, and with that, my Targus Univeral PS , the Targus Accessory power adapter, plus various tips and plug adapters all my equipment can stay powered and charged almost anywhere. But the idea of solar panels is great. As long as the sun is shining, you can be powered or recharging anywhere.
          Thorn
          "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Originally posted by Thorn
            Any details on the bag with the solar panels? My laptop bag has an APC UPB60 in it, and with that, my Targus Univeral PS , the Targus Accessory power adapter, plus various tips and plug adapters all my equipment can stay powered and charged almost anywhere. But the idea of solar panels is great. As long as the sun is shining, you can be powered or recharging anywhere.
            Ok, damn you! I will give up one of the secrets to my ultra-l33t super powas! :-)

http://www.voltaicsystems.com/

I got one of these almost two years ago to beta test. I got the lappy bag cause that's all they were doing at the time. The backpacks really rock. With my MDA and my laser keyboard, along with my IPOD, GPS, and my old PDA on which I keep my journal? I am ready to rock. Really. Rock-out, rock-climb, be a rock in adverse situations. You get the idea.

And no, I am not a shill for these folks. :-) I just love cool tech.

Stay shiny!

Valkyrie

Comment

You know what I'd like to do? I want to take these batteries and fully charge them, then hook them up a laptop to power the laptop while it charges more, then use those to power the laptop while charging the first set again....

Note to self: Don't drink until Fridays!

Comment

Originally posted by valkyrie

\
                I am going to be in the UK in December and I if I can resist the urge until then, I may just have to pick up a half dozen of these or so. In the mean time I am going to email one of my co-workers there to see what he knows about this. (maybe he'lll send me a pair gratis to play with).
                DaKahuna

Comment

After reading the Slashdot discussion of this very topic (a review of a review, if you will), I learned that the batteries are very expensive, anemic (1300 mAH!), and USB battery chargers already exist.

In other words, they are more of a novelty than an actual product. Still, it is a cool idea and leaves us with a difficult decision: the old, trusty USB toothbrush or the new USBCell batteries in a standard electric toothbrush. (Thanks to Deviant, we don't have to decide: USBCell batteries in a mintyboost to a USB toothbrush!)

Comment

Working...
                  X