This Board Is NOT "Learn to Hack"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Board Is NOT "Learn to Hack"

Okay this board is not hacking 101 course. I appreciate everyones interest in learning to hack but this is not the place to. There are lots of books, irc channels, websites and howtos devoted to this already. So please stop.

This is the last "howto" on learning to hack...

I started by high-lighting index pages of a macintosh revelations book that I thought would be good to know.

The howto here is this: Learn to read, learn how to be self motivating, and learn how to write the howto's =]

simon
    "I'm not a robot like you. I don't like having disks crammed into me... unless they're Oreos, and then only in the mouth."

a quick note

Though I agree that this board should not be a "Teach me to hack" board, I also must state that which I have observed. Learning how to hack (white or black hat) has become much more difficult than it was when many of the great ones did. Learning on your own is much harder do to the immense differences in hardware, protocols, and software. If the hacking community is to survive at all, it will be through a group effort. None of us can do this alone anymore. True we might create a few script kiddies along the way, but they always get caught or bored. The truly great one's will also be found, if they are given the chance to shine. We need mentors, people who can show us how they learned. You don't get taught things in school by reading a book. They give you examples and show you how to do it, and then let you go off on your own. I'm not suggesting step by step tutorials on "Shutting down root on a FreeBSD box", I'm talking a simple example, with explanations as to why each command is entered, what it does, and how it does it. Yes I know there are a few lying about, but they are a rare find, and it would be much easier, and much more bennificial to have a real person to interact with. Not only that, but assume for a moment you took and aspiring young hacker under your wing, it would make it that much easier to instill your code of ethics into him, instead of letting him get into trouble. Who knows, maybe you'll actualy turn a few script kiddies into real hackers.
    "If common sense is so common, why do so few people have it?"

"Reality is an illusion, albeit a persistant one."

LONG LIVE NEXTECH!

Mantras are bad! Mantras are bad! Mantras are bad! Mantras are bad! Mantras are bad! Mantras are bad! Mantras are bad! Mantras are bad! Mantras are bad! Mantras are bad! Mantras are bad! Mantras are bad! Mantras are bad!

Comment

I must make a correction

This board is for learning to hack posts etc... Thus our fancy, and original new forum "Newbie Dorkness".

Well newbies let the dorknation begin!

Having fun is good too ;-)
      simon
      "I'm not a robot like you. I don't like having disks crammed into me... unless they're Oreos, and then only in the mouth."

Comment

i dont see why your gettin so chived over this, i read your rules and the forum where these posts were before said that it was for "ANY" topic even not "hack" related...so call me a dork for asking questions, i guess thats the difference between me and you, if you asked me for help with recording music, skating, poetry or even riding i would be more then willing to lend a helping hand where as you will do nothing but bash and act like a knob goblin over the whole situation, im sure you started somewhere and had a helping hand somewhere along tha way, but whatever blows your load i guess.........

im out like simons hospitality.....
        no hate jus dissapointment.....
        We could start a circle JERK and you still couldnt come to grips with me~ShOrT NeCkEd GiRaFFe~

Comment

To Clear Things Up

I was chosen to moderate forums on this board because my opinions and ideas on forum "management" if you will are appreciated by the BBS admin.

It is my responsibility to maintain the forums in such a way people are attracted to them for intelligent (and sometimes not so intelligent) conversations and discussions. If forums with specific themes are flooded with "I'm 15 and I think hacking what I wanna do is good. Help teach someone learn to me?" threads then nobody is going to want to partisipate in a place that focus's on lame topics. You don't see Aerospace engineers, hackers from Xerox PARC, or Linux Kernel developers hanging around the free YMCA classes on learning how to teach poeple the Internet.

Why? Because they are beyond the information... Its not much of an interest to them anymore. They look for more thought provoking situations.

This doesn't mean to be elite or an excuse to harrass the newbie's. Its the reason why I had nulltone create a new forum where people with questions could ask them. Thats all... If you ask a specific question I'll try to answer it if I know the answer. But I can't write a novel of a thread on the "How can I become a hacker?" question.

I encourage you and anyone who wants to learn how to hack to start playing around. Get yourself in situations where you can ask specific questions to help you resolve whats going on...

And I think it was said best to Bob in What About Bob? "Baby steps..." Just remember hacking much like life can only be taken one small step at a time. Because if you try to make huge strides you'll most definately pass something by without even realizing it.

Well I hope you all enjoyed our presintation for tonight on Life, Liberty, and the persuit of Hacking by Simon Lewis aka SimonSays...

"GOOOOODDDDD NNNNNNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTEEEE!!!! Everyone."

simon

Comment

cool new thread... fitting...
            if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

simon says

let the games begin.

I opened my new dicitionary and found

Dorknation:
              (1). noun for dork
              (2). is a lazy way to say Dork Nation(this one fits better ahha).

anyway Simon you got to admit one thing though:
              till now, nobody asked how to hack hotmail though, that's crazyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

later
              ----------------------------------------------------------------
              "Everything that's countable doesn't necessarily count. What counts isn't necessarily countable."
              Albert Einstein

Comment

its nice to see that you discussed this in a non attacking manner, i have no problem with tha new forum in fact i feel it is a good idea and fully understand your points made, my only problem was the way you went about this in the first place placing tha title "dork" upon newbies, it just didnt sit quite right, but knowing now that you are down for lending thought and points to specific topic on help is gratifying, so thank you, and nothing else said....

PeAcE.......
                We could start a circle JERK and you still couldnt come to grips with me~ShOrT NeCkEd GiRaFFe~

Comment

gimme a break... didn't sit well.. i think dorkness is a rather fun, playful way to state it
                  if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

like i said it "didnt"-past tense- but then i went on to say it was all good because it was bestowed upon good intentions..........

Comment

I hope to use this forum, but I do not really have the intent to hack. I am just interesting in computer security. I may use some things I learn here, but not for evil.
                      I hope that someone can post a specific question, and get an answer without being troubled. We should share knowledge here...
                      I am sorry if grammer is incorrect, my english is not good.
                      Thank you.

Comment

The word "Evil" sounds so... so... so primative. The notion that things must be good or bad, or good/evil if you will is such a disuse to people these days. Only religion seems to hang on to such trivial ideologies. And the church refuses to evolve into a reflection of current spirituality. Quite unfortunate...

I know english isn't your first language so I don't mean to pick on you... Evil does *work* in this situation. I just thought I would share two cents.

simon

Comment

I could of used a dictionary to make my lanuage more complex. English is not my first language, and it is very hard to use good vocabulary. I belive I get your point.
                          I did not expect someone to interpret my post as a debate for religion and philisoiphy. ;)
                          I think you all know what I mean when I said "evil" I could have used a better word. I meant someone who uses this knowledge to do unjust harm. I was refering to "script kiddies" like the ones who DoS attack servers for fun.

Comment

I like to DoS servers for fun... Usually my housemates box... we just both sit and ping -f -s 65000 eachother and see if we can't break our 3com hub & intel gateway...

then I run ping -f -s 65000 from this server and smash our gateway to smithereens(sp?)... Man its neat to watch stuff crap out before you very eyes...

to all my homies,
                            simon

Comment

Working...
                            X