X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC15 - RFC - Movie Night with Dark Tangent

Originally posted by TheCotMan
    ... at Defcon with "Night at the Movies with DT"
    That was actually pretty cool. This is something that would actually make a GREAT addition to the next DC .. DT should put out a 'Call for Movies' or start up an artwork/photo like contest where you are competing to make the best hacker-related, with the winner getting it shown at movie night. Shit, make the showing open to anyone at the riv .. let the Riv in on the action selling popcorn, sodas, candies, or whatnot...

maybe pull a pre-screening with all the runners up, or maybe a dvd/image to distribute
    if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Re: Movies (reviews)

Originally posted by converge View Post
    That was actually pretty cool. This is something that would actually make a GREAT addition to the next DC .. DT should put out a 'Call for Movies' or start up an artwork/photo like contest where you are competing to make the best hacker-related, with the winner getting it shown at movie night. Shit, make the showing open to anyone at the riv .. let the Riv in on the action selling popcorn, sodas, candies, or whatnot...

maybe pull a pre-screening with all the runners up, or maybe a dvd/image to distribute
    I seem to recall that there was a contest for video art at a defcon a few years back, where people could submit short-films that could be shown at con.

I think this could work out well, especially if they could present images and footage taken of people doing things or bringing things in to the scavenger hunt, or showing off the winners of various contests. Consider the fun of watching the winner of the lockpicking contest fly through the locks, or the wireless contest people as they zero-in on their fox. Good opportunity for entertainment here.

Comment

This thread spawned off in /dev/random and could be a new idea in the works. What say ye?

IF Mr The Tangent had another movie night similar to the one at DC12 .. I propose that he would need something to show .. something outside of standard Hackers, Wargames, GitS viewing. Considering the growth of space and the existence of projectors and video equipment, I suspect this could be a viable event.

Would you be interested in taking your shot at making a film? Would you be interested in watching the creations of fellow hacker/film enthusiasts? Sure, another hacker documentary could be tossed in the mix, but extend your scope of the idea: you could make the 'Hackers' that hackers don't laugh at... or.. you could make a parody designed to make everyone take themselves a little less seriously. ... remember Defcon Forums- The Movie ? .... The Scene? Teh Scene? *shrug*

Prizes could vary.. but would likely (unless considerably blessed from above) only amount to cool points and the possibility of having your flick shown to thousands at the conference. .. I know I would personally torrent and share up works submitted post-con. Is not the world a stage?

Comment

Prizes could vary.. but would likely (unless considerably blessed from above) only amount to cool points and the possibility of having your flick shown to thousands at the conference. .. I know I would personally torrent and share up works submitted post-con. Is not the world a stage?
        Already I can see multiple categories for this. Frequently what happens is the people who are talented at making awesome original films pile in and make it so the people who aren't talented but are enthusiastic don't have a chance. There's nothing wrong with splicing bits of star trek together to make something completely different. Different categories would keep it diversified and keep the fun in it.

Comment

This thread spawned off in /dev/random and could be a new idea in the works. What say ye?
          Good idea to move it here so everyone can see it. (DT is not subscribed to the Social UserGroup, and neither are many of the "old-timers" on the forums. Also, this is a better location for this discussion.)

... remember Defcon Forums- The Movie ? .... The Scene? Teh Scene? *shrug*
          "[Teh|the] Scene" I remember. You have a link for, "Defcon Forums -- The Movie" ? Any reason it was not submitted to the DCTV people as filler?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
            ... You have a link for, "Defcon Forums -- The Movie" ? Any reason it was not submitted to the DCTV people as filler?
            http://forum.defcon.org/showthread.p...fcon%20Movie#3

Similar discussion of fan fiction / writing / funpoking wizardry has been topic several times past. fwiw, I highly recommend that Samuel L Jackson play the role of converge`.

Comment

http://forum.defcon.org/showthread.p...fcon%20Movie#3

Similar discussion of fan fiction / writing / funpoking wizardry has been topic several times past. fwiw, I highly recommend that Samuel L Jackson play the role of converge`.

Oh. I thought there might be some sort of "youtube" link or actual video.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
                I seem to recall that there was a contest for video art at a defcon a few years back, where people could submit short-films that could be shown at con.
                You are correct, there was! That was me, and a few other people in case you were ever wondering who the flake was that never got that contest off the ground. *laughs*

I got sick and needed those operations during that time and everything fell apart. I haven't done anything with it since then.

I always thought it was a good idea though. Someone who ISN'T a slacker should really run with it.

Comment

Re: DC15 - RFC - Movie Night with Dark Tangent

I've probally missed this somewhere, but are independant or commericial films shown?

* DefCon virgin here so don't be too harsh :surprised

Comment

Did anybody like Live free or Die heart ( hard ) ??

Some fairsail thing !!!
                    Last edited by poseidon; July 10, 2007, 19:17.

Comment

Originally posted by poseidon View Post
                      Did anybody like Live free or Die heart ( hard ) ??

Some fairsail thing !!!
                      Caught it, loved it, looking for a quality feed on The Pirate Bay until the DVD comes out. Want to slow/stop some of the scenes to get a better look at some of the cooler gadgets.

It's interesting that the chat screen shot that showed Kismet appears to have been taken on a BSD box but the icon is not right and it also shows Cain & Able, which is a Windows only tool with a non-default icon as well. Wonder how they decided to make that screen and what tools/icons to use. Maybe it was a copyright thing. However, despite seeing all those nice AlienWare laptops, I have easily resisted trading my MAC in for one.
                      DaKahuna

Comment

Working...
                      X