DefCon 14 contest and results discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DefCon 14 contest and results discussion

anyone who wishes to talk about what went down last summer can feel free to do so here. brag about your contraption's coolness, criticize things which you saw that could have been done better, or just slag each other with taunts and jeers while preemptively declaring yourself the winner this time around.

my photos and commentary from last summer's competition are online here. (i encourage all who are interested in participating -- or just watching -- to check things out there and see what worked before. also, i encourage everyone to read that page so that Renderman gets the proper credit and praise he's due... since i'm a total buffoon who fouled up the slide show during the closing ceremonies and wound up omitting him accidentally. mental note - next year, do not forget to actually tell everyone who the winner of a contest was.)
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: DefCon 14 contest and results discussion

I'll stay respectful :)

The whole fire marshal/5 contests at once thing really put the squeeze on my time so some flexibility of scheduling would be nice.

One issue seemed to be that the heat outside was mindblowing and it might be advisable to perhaps have the contest portion indoors with outdoor warmed beer (run out and grab a can, measure it's temp, then go). This will make it less painful for all involved, especially Deviant who looked close to heatstroke.

I still say we need to make a formal invite to the Mythbusters (specifically Kari) and get them out to judge.
    Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

Originally posted by renderman View Post
      The whole fire marshal/5 contests at once thing really put the squeeze on my time so some flexibility of scheduling would be nice.
      i think that if we choose to make it a lead-off hitter, right at noon on friday before anything else really gets going (no matter what any fire marshals, etc. have to say) it could prevent a lot of double-stacking. i will always, of course, allow folks to demonstrate their contraption to me at any other time during the con (hell, bring one up to the LPVillage and i'll time ya') if there are conflicts.

I still say we need to make a formal invite to the Mythbusters (specifically Kari) and get them out to judge.
      i had planned on that last year but didn't get around to it. i am definitely going to do so next year. anyone know a decent contact address for them besides their discovery channel website forum? a mailing address would be great since i could send them formal invitations.
      "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
      - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
        i had planned on that last year but didn't get around to it. i am definitely going to do so next year. anyone know a decent contact address for them besides their discovery channel website forum? a mailing address would be great since i could send them formal invitations.
        Ask and thou shalt RX. (Hey, gimme a break. I like RF better than theology.)

Mailing Address:

M5 Industries
        1268 Missouri Street
        San Francisco, California
        94107-3310

Jamie Hyneman's personal Mythbuster/M5 Industries email address:

mythbusters AT m5industries DOT com

He claims to personally read all emails to that address, although he may not answer them.

From what little I know about TV shooting schedules, you should probably get any invites out ASAP.
        Thorn
        "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Might I also recommend that you not allow commercial products:

http://www.amazon.com/Cooper-Cooler-.../dp/B0007LJNB4

As cool as the above device is, I think we should make it a rule that contraptions are home made (or at least not purpose built retail)

Comment

Might I also recommend that you not allow commercial products...
            A very good and common sense idea. That would be one very cheesy way to bend the rules.
            "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

Originally posted by theprez98 View Post
              A very good and common sense idea. That would be one very cheesy way to bend the rules.

Mostly covering my ass because I'm cheap and did;nt want someone using the idea I already had.

It would be interesting to go head to head with our devices against the consumer device and see who's faster

Comment

One issue seemed to be that the heat outside was mindblowing and it might be advisable to perhaps have the contest portion indoors with outdoor warmed beer (run out and grab a can, measure it's temp, then go). This will make it less painful for all involved, especially Deviant who looked close to heatstroke.
                Admit it Renderman, anything to stay out of the sun right ?
                DaKahuna

Comment

Originally posted by DaKahuna View Post
                  Admit it Renderman, anything to stay out of the sun right ?
                  Yeah, that has something to do with it. After a short while, dunking my head in my contraption was starting to look good, and that's not a good thing considering the ~ -65F slurry that was in it.

Comment

Mostly covering my ass because I'm cheap and did;nt want someone using the idea I already had.

It would be interesting to go head to head with our devices against the consumer device and see who's faster
                    Actually, the comparison with commercial products is also a very good idea as part of the competition if they can be purchased or acquired at a reasonable price.
                    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

I'll spring for the cost of the one in Renderman's link if you guys really want to do that.
                      DaKahuna

Comment

Working...
                      X