Florida DOT sign hacked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida DOT sign hacked

despite the fascination that the press seems to have when reporting these allegedly unprecedented pranks, it's not uncommon for people to monkey with roadside solartech message boards. the DOT workers almost never lock the access panels and as far as i know every single unit has the password "DOT1" set by the factory and it's never changed.

still... i have to admit that a story like this gave me a chuckle.

Sign on I-4 gives NASCAR fans the cold shoulder
    The electronic sign on the side of Interstate 4 is supposed to warn motorists of an upcoming exit. This weekend, someone reprogrammed it with a slightly different message: "NASCAR sucks. Go home." Florida Department of Transportation officials said a prankster with the right kind of keyboard and a password changed the sign this weekend as hundreds of thousands of race fans poured into the area.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: Florida DOT sign hacked

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
    despite the fascination that the press seems to have when reporting these allegedly unprecedented pranks, it's not uncommon for people to monkey with roadside solartech message boards. the DOT workers almost never lock the access panels and as far as i know every single unit has the password "DOT1" set by the factory and it's never changed.

still... i have to admit that a story like this gave me a chuckle.

Sign on I-4 gives NASCAR fans the cold shoulder
    At least they didn't start screaming "OMFG! Evil, nasty, dirty hackers!" It was a prank. End of story.

It turned out to be unlocked, but someone still needed the correct keyboard and password, which is available to highway contractors, consultants and DOT employees.
    If I recall correctly, those use a standard keyboard. As for the password, 2600 Magazine ran an article including the password and complete programming instructions a couple of years back.
    Thorn
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

[QUOTE=Thorn;85205
      If I recall correctly, those use a standard keyboard. As for the password, 2600 Magazine ran an article including the password and complete programming instructions a couple of years back.[/QUOTE]

Anyone have any idea which issue this article was run?
      ======================================
      DJ Jackalope
      dopest dj in the galaxy. *mwah!*

send in the drop bears!
      ======================================

Comment

Re: 2600

Originally posted by DJ Jackalope View Post
        Anyone have any idea which issue this article was run?
        Vol 18, Number 4. Winter 2001-2002

Hacking the Highway, p. 40.

According to the article, these signs use "an old school AT style keyboard" which was contained within the back access cover. I'm assuming that "old school AT style" means the larger AT connector as opposed to a smaller PS/2 type. In any event, a keyboard converter cable would probably work. They can be purchased from a number of sources if someone is really determined to change the message on one of these signs.
        Thorn
        "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Re: 2600

Originally posted by Thorn View Post
          Vol 18, Number 4. Winter 2001-2002

Hacking the Highway, p. 40.

According to the article, these signs use "an old school AT style keyboard" ...
          I have one of those. With a built-in card swiper, too!
          "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

A older thread (to be sure), but more news about the same sort of "highway hack". Headline News ran a story this morning about this sign in particular, and also about a forum dedicated to it (although I missed the url.

In this case (and it was inevitable that some numbnuts would do it eventually), the message was "No Latinos No Tacos". After "All black people, leave the store now" this is a pretty sad state of affairs. Why can't people stick to zombies? <sigh>

Comment

Zombies, Raptors, and one's opinion on NASCAR are pranks, provided that no vital information is removed to accommodate their alleged presence ahead. Letting the public know that "The cow is OK" is just good sport. When these idiots get into ethnically based messages (especially ones lacking any reasonable humor such as "No Latinos No Tacos") it's just jackassery. A prank is one thing, that was just a dumb message to put up, both in lack of humorous content and likely intent to cause a racial stir. Just gives a bad name to pranksters everywhere.
              "You have cubed asscheeks?"... "Do you not?"

Comment

Originally posted by sintax_error View Post
                Zombies, Raptors, and one's opinion on NASCAR are pranks, provided that no vital information is removed to accommodate their alleged presence ahead. Letting the public know that "The cow is OK" is just good sport. When these idiots get into ethnically based messages (especially ones lacking any reasonable humor such as "No Latinos No Tacos") it's just jackassery. A prank is one thing, that was just a dumb message to put up, both in lack of humorous content and likely intent to cause a racial stir. Just gives a bad name to pranksters everywhere.
                Yeah, this is exactly what I was thinking. There is having fun, and then there is going over the line.

Comment

The problem is that the hacker name is getting dragged through the mud. Even though it takes zero skill to change one of these signs, we get blamed as a group for some idiots actions
                  Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

This is more popular with groups like Anon rather than legit hackers. Half the time you'll see something related to a meme.

For example
                    http://i.imgur.com/fYt4p.jpg
                    Last edited by SHA-hi; May 26, 2010, 15:34.

Comment

Working...
                    X