Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CoWF Presents: Defcon 15 Wireless Village - Call for Breakouts!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CoWF Presents: Defcon 15 Wireless Village - Call for Breakouts!

The Church of WiFi excitedly presents the Defcon 15 Wireless Village. Originality stolen from the Dominion of LockPick, the Wireless Village will be a central meeting of the hertz; a place to chat up the subject, a place to show off cool projects to likeminded individuals, a place to creatively conspire new ideas and tracks.

Speakers FEAR NOT! The Wireless Village is not out to undermine your kickass Defcon presentation; it will supplement it with knowledge, technology, and general show-and-tell. In fact, we encourage speakers to extend their Defcon presentations in a post-talk breakout or offstage Q/A within the Village. Topics could include but have no limitation: 802.11x, 802.16, Bluetooth, IR, CDMA, GPRS, Amateur Radio... think it, do it! The sub-con will be home of amazingly super-krad breakouts, demos, contests, and the finest invisible hand-on activities folks can dream up between now and August.

What cool things will you bring to the Wireless Village? At this point in the announce we would like to issue our Call for Breakouts

To help determine space needs and general layout, the CoWF is gathering the following information from those interested in setting up shop:

0) Who are you?
    1) What would you like to beacon?
    Breakout session(s) (topic)? Hands-on tech display?
    2) When and/or how long do you want to hang out in an official/presenting/running-things capacity?
    Defcon schedules vary, stake your timespot(s) early
    3) Where do you need to be (spatially)?
    Do you just need a table to park at and set up a sciencefair-esque display? Do you have a nifty project that requires spacing across a room area (how many feet?). Do you hate Renderman for his big antennas and need to be on the polar side from his SNR?
    4) Why not?
    5) Any ideas or concerns that will help make this thing cool

Please respond in one or more of many ways:
    ) email defconwirelessvillage@gmail.com
    ) post to the Defcon Forums at http://forum.defcon.org
    ) contact renderman, converge, roamer, thorn, or theprez
    Last edited by converge; February 27, 2007, 21:20.
    if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Re: CoWF Presents: Defcon 15 Wireless Village - Call for Breakouts!

kick ass -- I can't wait for this.

I-Hacked (me & friend) would like to help with this. Do you have anything that you could use some help with?

Comment

Converge, we missed you at Shmoo-

LosT

Comment

Originally posted by hevnsnt View Post
        kick ass -- I can't wait for this.
        I-Hacked (me & friend) would like to help with this. Do you have anything that you could use some help with?
        For the record, you folks fucking rock.

At this point the basic organization of containing and following through with the idea is pretty covered. What we need are cool people* with cool things*. Have a nifty wireless related project or gadget to share? Any nifty hand-on methods for demonstrating a wireless-related skill or knowledge point? It could be as simple as walking folks through rudimentary WEP cracking .. or as complex as a proof of concept gizmo that you want to get noticed by others interested in radio. Speaking of radio, that includes you crazy people like DMZ that are into small range broadcasting. Wireless Village is aimed at eliminating restrictions on the subject and covering a spectrum that all can enjoy. To quote Uncle Sam .. naw.. probably not. But you guys get the idea ;)

* cool people does not requisite any social recognition within or without the community at hand. cool is in the mind of the beheld.
        * cool things are subjective. Some things that some find cool will surely not be cool to everyone, much like ipods, blogs, or emacs. If you think its cool, do it. Chances are _someone_ else will agree .. unless your a total dork and then you'll have the opportunity to learn what cool is by discussing your less than cool thing with others. Seriously.. it works.

okay.. so I started off with a reply aimed at your post and ended up generalizing it for all that read this ..

I have staunch confidence that _anything_ brought to the table or surprised in style by i-hacked will have no less than 3.14 degrees of cool to it.

Originally posted by LosT View Post
        Converge, we missed you at Shmoo-
        Heh, thanks.. I missed ya'll and shmoo in one course. Unfortunately work has not elevated my company standing to a point that would afford attendance .. someday.
        if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Working...
        X