X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Announcement - theSummit

Vegas 2.0 Would like to officially Announce the following -

theSummit fund raiser will be held Thursday August 2, 2007 to sponsor the EFF and The Hacker Foundation. Open enrollment for "Featured Guests" is now open until July 30, 2007. Anyone interested please contact hackajar. Ticket will be $35 dollars at door, and the EFF will be on hand to offer 1 year memberships to anyone who pays full price for a ticket. We have procured the Big Beat Battalion as a musical act to perform at event. For more information about event please use below links.

Who is the Big Beat Battalion?

This is a local Las Vegas band that focuses on Hip-Hop styles with Geek Culture as their primary muse for songs. There single "We Rock like Geology" has been getting heavy air play by local radio station Area 108. This was after getting a huge positive response on their "Local 108" off hours show featuring local bands.

Even if your not a fan of Hip-Hop genre, geeks and nerds alike will appreciate their novel approach to the music scene. Follow links to their site for sample music and videos.

http://www.vegassummit.org - Official theSummit Site
    http://www.hackerfoundation.org - The Hacker Foundation
    http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation
    http://www.bigbeatbattalion.com - Big Beat Battalion Music Site

(please make sticky)
    "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Re: Official Announcement - theSummit

Random question: what does an EFF membership include? I've raised money for them, just never been a member. (yet!)
    ======================================
    DJ Jackalope
    dopest dj in the galaxy. *mwah!*

send in the drop bears!
    ======================================

Comment

Hackajar: What's the timeframe you guys are looking at.. or is that still TBD? Last year we tried to encourage TBBQ attendees to make their way over if interested.. and I know this year I intend to as well, without distraction this time!
      if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Jackalope View Post
        Random question: what does an EFF membership include? I've raised money for them, just never been a member. (yet!)
        They pretty much put you (optional) on the public list of donors, offer you a free shirt and/or hat (depending on donation amount). They still don't have cards :(, E.g. "I'm a card carrying member of the EFF!".

Comment

Originally posted by converge View Post
          Hackajar: What's the timeframe you guys are looking at.. or is that still TBD? Last year we tried to encourage TBBQ attendees to make their way over if interested.. and I know this year I intend to as well, without distraction this time!
          9:00 PM PDT is the offical start time of event. This gives people time to fly in, change hotels, hang out at TBBQ, meet up with friends, etc.

There is not an end to the event, last year we stayed until the bar tender insisted on closing up. She was still getting mad tips, and everyone was happy, but it was like 3AM and she was getting tired.

I know that TBBQ stops pretty late, and I'm stuck between starting it too early - and excluding people helping out with Con or attending other events - or starting too late - and excluding people who have to get up early, or are already partied out. 9PM seemed like a happy medium. Also, we were hoping to steal people from the M$ party on Thursday night. After talking about it for a REALLY long time, Packet Barron (the other founder of Vegas2.0) and I didn't want theSummit to be a pre-party to M$ OR an after party.

The EFF is almost a zig to M$ zag, so taking away from there attendence roster was certinly a thought in the day and time of event. Though, we do agree, having the M$ event maxed out with drunk hackers on their tab is also a shoot to the gut. But still, having all these reps there, and only 50% of attendee's is more embarressment, then paying for a party out of a billion dollar coffer.

/Spelling nazi's please be gentle!

Comment

Originally posted by hackajar View Post
            I know that TBBQ stops pretty late, and I'm stuck between starting it too early - and excluding people helping out with Con or attending other events - or starting too late - and excluding people who have to get up early, or are already partied out. 9PM seemed like a happy medium. Also, we were hoping to steal people from the M$ party on Thursday night. After talking
            k-rad, I think that is the PERFECT time.

1) the event lasts forever, so it won't effect those of us wrapping up the BBQ to make our way over.
            2) it's something to help encourage people to start migrating away from the BBQ when it starts getting dark. We're hoping and trying to encourage the BBQ to die down so cleanup can commence and we can be out of the park by 10pm this year .. instead of being their til after midnight.
            3) legally stealing from Microsoft and giving to hackers is always a noble thing.
            4) good time ?= good time + good cause? .. ya, maximizing your roster is far more important that worrying about how many people might not show up to a picnic because of it.. rock on dood.
            if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Once again I want to go but it depends a lot on the TBBQ.

Comment

Working...
              X