Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

possible to acquire a "bare" NAS device in EIDE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible to acquire a "bare" NAS device in EIDE?

hey all,

so i'm getting a bit tired of having to headbutt my main server at the house every so often. it's a really, really nice box that's given me eons of service, and was a hilarious home-spun hardware hack back when i created it (link | link... and no, those drives outside the case weren't part of the final array... they were just for moving data around) but now my tech resource usage has really grown beyond its capabilities. heh, it's kind of startling to say out loud that the huge file server in my home (which until recently was also the primary domain controller, the apache web server, and the perl-enabled spam-assassin-running mail daemon) is a dual-celeron 466 with 256 MB of RAM.

one of my first orders of business in this next new home upgrade pertains to my large disk array. i'd like to roll things into something more dedicated to the task of high volume file serving. that says NAS to me. the thing is, i'd like to keep costs down as much as possible... i'd like to use the existing drives from my current RAID array, since it's being taken all down anyway.

is it possible to get an multi-bay NAS device (i have a five disk array presently) without any drives present and add them myself? my current disks are EIDE... i think most NAS hardware i've seen runs on SATA. still, figured i'd ask around.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: possible to acquire a "bare" NAS device in EIDE?

Beside many single EIDE drive NAS enclosures, I don't think you can find anything that will support hot-swap raid 5, but there are so many SATA solutions...
    How much usable disk space do you need?
    ..::800xl::..

Comment

Originally posted by 800XL View Post
      How much usable disk space do you need?
      that's like asking someone how much beer they want in their fridge. currently i have a 1TB array, but i've really pushed the limits of it and have started to move data around. would like to expand it to 2 or 3 TB if possible. but that is going to get pricey.
      "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
      - Trent Reznor

Comment

You will probably just have to move into SATA:

Something like this:

http://www.thecus.com/products_over.php?cid=1&pid=2
        Approx. $450 US

..or this:
        http://www.infrant.com/download/ReadyNAS600.pdf
        Approx. $600 US
        ..::800xl::..

Comment

1 TB drives are almost out:

http://www.etech4sale.com/Hitachi_Gl...id-313921.html

You know you want one... or two... or ten
          45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
          45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
          [ redacted ]

Comment

Originally posted by bascule View Post

http://www.etech4sale.com/Hitachi_Gl...id-313921.html

You know you want one... or two... or ten
            No, just four of them and the NAS box from Thecus! Good thing Christmas is not that far way. I know what's now on the top of the list.
            DaKahuna

Comment

Working...
            X