In Search of BBQ Contests & Events

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Search of BBQ Contests & Events

Toxic BBQ IV is in need of contests & events.

If you have an idea of any kind, traditional or odd and can put a tech/geek/hacker twist to it, post it here.

Re: In Search of BBQ Contests & Events

since i plan to bring along the exotic meats again this year, i figured we could come up with something more "event-like" than merely "come and taste these animals which you don't often get to eat" although that will likely also be a thing as well.

two ideas that sound good (which sort of grew out of folks' talking here on the forums)

1. a "guess the meat" event... a person is blindfolded and handed a fork with a bite of some cooked meat on it. whether or not they have a master list of the possible meats remains to be seen. i suspect they might have to have such a list if we get crazy and have like half a dozen various game animals and other wild beasts.

2. a "titanium chef" competition. i don't want to step on meee's toes so i will totally defer to her if she already has thoughts on this event. i know she runs / plans to run something similar at the DCG pacific northwest BBQ / camp trip outing. my thought was to procure an assortment of cuts and styles of meat (steaks, sausages, patties, etc) from one particular animal and reveal the theme creature at a small ceremony just before the food run. any participants would get to hop on their blackberries, EVDO devices, or other 'net enabled gear to scour for advice or recipies as they rush to the store. one hour to shop and arrive at the park, one hour to cook and plate a few dishes. folks judged to have the best taste, creativity, and presentation would win some nice prizes and bragging rights.

thoughts?
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Comment

..only addendum to point out is .. TBBQ doesn't just need ideas for contests, but people wanting and willing to make them happen. From my past experience in these threads, someone is desperately needed to run a sauce-off. It is something talked about every year but not pursued. Are you really going to let Renderman (a canadian, might I add) reign sauce king for a 4th year straight, unchallenged!? We're in a huge frickin park .. which opens possibilities of kite flying, volleyball, tourist tossing .. oh .. no.

TBBQ staff will be quite preoccupied organizing the event itself and is relying on folks to show up, bring cool things, share cool things, and do cool things: its the TBBQ way of .. things.

Deviant, as always, is on the right track.
      if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Clearly I love the guess the meat competition and like the idea of Titanium Chef but see a couple problems with its execution.

First, there is the lack of transportation. As we can all remember from riding in the Gold Danger Wagon last year it's a pretty major operation just to move people between the Riv and the park.

Second, there is the issue of supplies. Without proper advance notice of the star meat it would be difficult to have the correct ingredients. Certainly one could come with as much as they anticipate needing for any given meat but I for one would need to bring a trunk full of materials or suffer through purchasing them at Sams/Costco either the day of or after announcement of the feature meat.

Third there is the problem of proper cooking devices. The "grills" which are in the park are fine for burgers and dogs, but are painfully lacking when it comes to creating culinary art by an open fire. My weapon of choice happens to be the standard Webber Kettle, but they are in short supply. Purchasing a small Webber for one-time use isn't practical either considering the inability to cook over indirect heat.

Additionally it would be difficult to transport the correct wood for cooking, be it mesquite, hickory (for all those from Texas), alderberry, cherry, or apple.

I do love the concept.
        jur1st, esq.

Comment

Do we have a time estimate for TBBQ?

I get into LV around 10:30AM on Thursday, so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to make it.
          "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

Jur1st: sounds like some good challenges for you to overcome :p half-seriously.. what about a contest to devise an inexpensive but superior cooking device?

Theprez: TBBQ is currently targeted for a similar location in Sunset Park, approx. 3pm to 10pm on Thursday. It usually runs late, but this year we're throwing 10pm out there instead of 'when it gets dark or so' so that we can try and wrap things up at a semi-sane time.

there are a good number of stores in the area, as well as an innovative bunch of attendees ... keep it safe, be creative, enjoy

..and for what its worth, the Gold Danger Van of Doom steamrolled its way to the park in impressive style and brevity ... all sparks, dead squirrels, and crushed ASTcells aside..

Comment

Originally posted by theprez98 View Post
              This brings up another point, I could easily organize and host an event before the cooking and mass crowd arrives, Im going to be in Vegas all day Thursday, but the issue with events is if they occur durring the BBQ theres just alot going on, I'll be tied down with the shirts and helping people with food.

How early do we want to get things started as far as pre-bbq events?

Comment

Originally posted by theprez98 View Post

I get into LV around 10:30AM on Thursday, so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to make it.
                Based on last year and previous years, this might make you early enough to make the Pre-TBBQ food run.

If you don't want to try-out the food run, then, assuming things were like they were last year, the non-food-run trek to the TBBQ site happens later in the afternoon.

I have plans to rent a van for the day again, and attend the pre-TBBQ food run lead by GodMinusOne, Converge, L0nd0, et al.

My van bottomed out several times last year, and exceeded the weight capacity to reveal the annoying beep of d*o*o*m!. I think ASTCell was afflicted with the "heavy-stuff-on-lap-compresses-nuts-because-we-had-no-other-place-to-store-stuff" problem. Maybe we can repeat these problems again this year, but have someone else deal with the nut-compression complication-- who want's to ride shotgun?

Comment

Food eating contest of some sort?
                  "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

Heh-heh. Who can eat the most weiners?

Related to your idea: most marshmellows (or other items) stuffed in mouth with lips closed.

Comment

Hot and cold divisions

I wish to suggest that contests may have divisions such as hot and cold foods. Personally I am considering home-made ice cream using a power inverter in the car cigarette lighter for churning. As I recall the park did not have electrical power. I am not a vegan but this may allow the vegans among us more of an opportunity to participate.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
                        Related to your idea: most marshmellows (or other items) stuffed in mouth with lips closed.
                        Chubby Bunnies!!! I'd be down for a marshmellow contest.
                        "It is difficult not to wonder whether that combination of elements which produces a machine for labor does not create also a soul of sorts, a dull resentful metallic will, which can rebel at times". Pearl S. Buck

Comment

Re: Hot and cold divisions

Originally posted by Sam Shazaam View Post
                          Personally I am considering home-made ice cream using a power inverter in the car cigarette lighter for churning.
                          That would bump you up to K-rad Superleet TBBQ Club Member status

As I recall the park did not have electrical power.
                          That is correct

I am not a vegan but this may allow the vegans among us more of an opportunity to participate.
                          hmmm... somehow I doubt the vegans will be pursuing ice cream ... then again, vegans have a magical ability to transform ANY food out of processed vegetables ... hot or cold .. this I have witnessed.

Comment

I know we hit Sam's with authority last year, but I thought I'd offer up my Costco card if we need to get high quality meat for the Ti-Chef competition.
                            jur1st, esq.

Comment

Working...
                            X