ToxicBBQ event - "Titanium Chef"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ToxicBBQ event - "Titanium Chef"

so, this is just coming together in a very preliminary fashion... but i think it would be safe to say that you can expect some sort of "Iron Chef" style competition at the ToxicBBQ this year.

it will follow the plan meee has drawn up for the similar competition that she will be running at the pacific northwest DCG campout which aligns with Japan Iron Chef rules...

1. participating teams will likely consist of one to three people. while one person may find him- or herself shorthanded, anything more than a three person team would just be pandemonium and cause a ruckus.

2. sometime prior to this whole thing, contestants will be provided with a list of ten possibilities for the theme ingredient.

3. at a ceremony on the day of the ToxicBBQ (a time of 3:00 PM that thursday is presently being kicked around) the theme ingredient will be revealed (possibly in the convention lobby near registration or something, since the contest floor area isn't open)

4. teams will have about an hour (maybe an hour and a half) to come up with a plan, get together a list of ingredients, and make a run to necessary stores. teams who are already packing a significant pantry and bar supplies may opt to skip any sort of a store trip and head straight for Sunset Park. be advised, however, that if any member of your team chooses to attend to other business before going to the park, no other team members may go there either. (well, you can go but you can't setup or start until all your team is there. there will be no "you run to the store to get spices, you run to the 7-11 to get ice, and i'll go start the steaks on the grill" sort of plans)

i realize that this sort of a rule might favor vegas locals who are apt to have a larger stock of supplies on hand (or could run to their homes as opposed to waiting in line at Albertsons with everyone else and their dog). sorry... just have to live with that fact. inginuity, good planning, and access to a vehicle, coupled with an arrival at DefCon on Wednesday (which you should plan for anyway, heh) should be more than enough means to cancel out any advantage that locals may have.

5. there will be one hour for cooking and preparation of your dishes (assuming you took the first hour or hour and a half for shopping) all chef work will cease promptly at either 5:00 or 5:30 PM, depending on how rules are laid down.

6. teams will be in charge of creating four separate finished products: two distinct primary dishes featuring the theme ingredient, one side dish that compliments the meal, and one beverage. two notes...

(1) the side dish may incorporate the theme ingredient but certainly doesn't have to. the side dish shouldn't take too much of your team's time and resources. almost anything you care to toss together would be perfectly legal and satisfy the requirement... store-bought cold potato salad or sliced veggies and ranch dip would be fine. hell, a bag of chips would be legal even if they aren't likely to garner many originality points. naturally if your main dishes are steak and fajitas, something like sautéed mushrooms or baked potatoes would be a better side dish than fish balls or escarole soup.

(2) the beverage need not be alcoholic in nature but it will most certainly generate judges' approval if it is. it may be a store-bought item that goes well with the meal (a fine beer or properly-chosen wine perhaps) or a custom cocktail that you mix up right there.

7. finished products will take on two forms... one single "presentation" creation (food plated in the most creative and attractive manner, cocktail iced down and in a nice glass, side dish portioned well, etc.) and the rest will be made available simply in picnic style (large trays or pans are fine. beverage can be in either in factory bottles or in a pitcher)

8. a panel of judges will observe your presentation platter and sample your picnic offerings. after they've made their initial pass they will step back to write notes and fill out score cards. contestants' food will be judged on presentation, originality, and taste. all remaining food (and it would be nice if there is enough to really go around) will be made available to onlookers who wish to also try some.

9. scores will be added up and ranks given. in the event of any tie scores, audience applause may be employed... so do whatever you can to keep the crowd happy (plate on creative or hacker-themed settings, make an extra pitcher or two of your beverage, etc etc) since they may turn the tide.

10. this almost goes without saying, but folks should plan on the theme ingredient being something highly non-friendly to vegetarians. if you're thinking of asking to be a judge, keep that in mind. if you're some uber-militant vegan who can't even handle or assist in the cooking of meat products, it'd be best if you don't participate on one of the teams. (of course if you're that extreme what are you doing at the ToxicBBQ in the first place?) also it should be noted that there is a high likelihood of alcohol being part of the teams' final products, so under-21 folk may not be able to be official judges. of course crowd judges can sample whatever they wish and avoid anything that violates the law or their personal convictions.

more to come as things develop... but that's the story thus far. like in the other contest thread, i now eagerly await your input and any potential expressions of interest and participation.

digame.
    Last edited by Deviant Ollam; April 17, 2007, 22:27.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: ToxicBBQ event - "Titanium Chef"

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
    3. at a ceremony on the day of the ToxicBBQ (a time of 3:00 PM that thursday is presently being kicked around) the theme ingredient will be revealed (possibly in the convention lobby near registration or something, since the contest floor area isn't open)
    The meeting location used for TBBQ last year with the pre-TBBQ Food Run, and later as the CarPool-meeting space would make sense as such a presentation location. This was the location of the old Registration. (It looks like the new registration may be in the main registration space that we passed just before the dart-thrower-rooms last year on the way to the Defcon space from the hotel towers.)

If the meeting location for the PreTBBQ-Food-Run moves, to a new location, all of the TBBQ-related meeting locations should follow.

(The location suggested last year was perfect-- it was close to the parking garage, had penty of white-zone parking for loading up a caravan of vehicles, and had bathrooms nearby along with overflow to outside doors and direct access to parked cars. I think Converge suggested this location last year-- Good job!)

Comment

I suppose it would also be possible to prod russr or fawcr to make contest room announce on friday, or post stats to infobooth ..

Another possibility depending on how things transpire, is that this year the triumvirate plans to harass DT to steal a few minutes of Award Ceremony time for TBBQ happenings. .. not a certainty, but something to toss out there, as brief sub-contest synopsis from the BBQ could be interesting

..make all those fuckers that don't show up realize their err!
      if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

I wonder if we should provide a trophy for the winners to hold onto till the next year. I suggest a titanium tire iron.

Comment

Will there be pork?
          Nonnumquam cupido magnas partes Interretis vincendi me corripit

Comment

Originally posted by erehwon View Post
            Will there be pork?
            possibly, if for no other reason than to contravene as many religious and/or ethical mores as possible. the general tenor of the event should be "if you have absolutely any dietary restrictions that you've made up in your own head and follow out of tradition... stay 100 feet back or have your sensibilities seriously impacted"

heh, well... maybe nothing that strong... and many folks whom i know that abstain from certain foods will allow themselves to be around them even if they don't consume them. but, yeah, anyone with any sort of food restriction that is non-medical runs the risk of being in very close proximity to things they refuse to eat.
            "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
            - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
              possibly, if for no other reason than to contravene as many religious and/or ethical mores as possible. the general tenor of the event should be "if you have absolutely any dietary restrictions that you've made up in your own head and follow out of tradition... stay 100 feet back or have your sensibilities seriously impacted"

heh, well... maybe nothing that strong... and many folks whom i know that abstain from certain foods will allow themselves to be around them even if they don't consume them. but, yeah, anyone with any sort of food restriction that is non-medical runs the risk of being in very close proximity to things they refuse to eat.
              I'd eat pork if all it did was piss them off.

Al
              "Are my pants...threatening you?"

Comment

I'm glad to see that I'll be able to whip up a desert based on oysters and bacon fat.

Don't knock it until you try it.
                jur1st, esq.

Comment

Originally posted by jur1st View Post
                  I'm glad to see that I'll be able to whip up a desert based on oysters and bacon fat.

Don't knock it until you try it.
                  Two of my favorite foods. My biggest problem is I like my oysters RAW and my bacon crisp.
                  DaKahuna

Comment

Do we have to officially sign up? Or is it we just come and say Hey I wanna BBQ?

Also, as far as the mystery item is concerned... will there be enough provided? I assume anything else we wish to cook we will have to bring and purchase correct?

just getting the details out of the way!

Comment

I can only guess they'll have an official registration since it directly effects how much of the special ingrediant(s) they have on hand for the contest. At the campout the contest had plenty of special ingrediant to prepare a show dish as well as a mass amount of your food for the judging populations to get stuffed with.
                      if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Originally posted by converge View Post
                        official registration since it directly effects how much of the special ingredient(s)
                        there may be a bit more of a formal process eventually, but for now i'll just be happy with posts to in the ToxicBBQ forum that will give me enough of an idea of what to buy.

as for quantity, yeah... there should be plenty to make a good amount of food for all.
                        - Trent Reznor

Comment

So I assume the "official" registration will be day of correct?

either way put me down to compete, btw I am looking for other team members as well if anyone is interested.

Comment

Originally posted by jdcrow View Post
                            So I assume the "official" registration will be day of correct?
                            i'll need an "official" count earlier so as to know how much meat to order. but money won't be needed until the day of.
                            - Trent Reznor

Comment

I just want to wish everyone a good time. I will be unable to attend because I can not afford what I need for the cook off nor can I afford the price of admission.

I was robbed at gunpoint a few days ago and the SOB got away with $700 in cash. Needless to say I am doing whatever I can to hunt the fucker down. I will just plan for next year. Hope all goes well. Have fun and don't forget to pick up all those dropped packets.

-JD

Comment

Working...
                              X