How does one find a team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does one find a team?

How does one find a team for CTF? I've never been to DC before, and I don't know anyone going.

I'd like to be a larger team just because I don't have much faith in myself. I've completed all the basic and realistic challenges on hackthissite.org on my own, but I don't think that's saying much.

about:blank

Re: How does one find a team?

Originally posted by aboutblank View Post
    How does one find a team for CTF? I've never been to DC before, and I don't know anyone going.

I'd like to be a larger team just because I don't have much faith in myself. I've completed all the basic and realistic challenges on hackthissite.org on my own, but I don't think that's saying much.

Posting here is one way to announce you interest and see if anyone [is interested]. Another is to qualify for CTF and then use the time it took for you to pass through the tests as your resume to ask any of the selected qualified teams if they can use another member. Another alternative, is to qualify on your own and be in the top selected teams, then you can recruit people to join your team and use their times as qualifications in review of their resume.

I seem to recall that last year, everyone was open to try, and participants with the top X times were selected as teams and maybe next few as alternates.

If you don't get any reply here after a week or so, you can try contacting the organizer contact on their web page to see if they have a better idea. (Assuming one is included.)
    Last edited by TheCotMan; May 4, 2007, 21:55. Reason: Added missing text in []

Comment

If you're close to a university with a Computer Science or Information Security program you might ask around there for a security club, or look for a local Defcon group.

Comment

Originally posted by aboutblank View Post

The skills required for the qualifying round will be pretty wide. The announcement (http://www.kenshoto.com/quals07.txt) mentions the areas of expertise. Even if you don't think you stand a good chance of playing in "the big game" there are probably problems you can solve and learn a lot en route... Just look at atlas ;)

Let us know (ctf07 at kenshoto.com) if you have any issues or have specific questions.

Comment

You might want to take a look at Amateur CTF. If it is your first time, you might just want to sign up for ACTF and try your luck at that. I would definitely hack away at the CTF quals. All that helps to build your resume.
          One more idea, doesn't sound sexy, is show up to DC and just get a feel for it. Walk around and talk to people. See some nice talks. Go into the CTF area and if you see some idle hands, talk to them. Find out if they can use your skill set. Different teams have different needs.

Comment

Well I just signed up without a team. I didn't know what else to do! I want to be in it, but I don't know anyone!

Comment

I would say, next step is hack away. Get as far as you can. When all is done, show you score to the teams that have made it, see if they can use you. Look at quals as a good learning experience as well as a resume builder. And just have some fun.

Comment

Well I sure did hack away! I got 2700 points in total, and am rather pleased with myself. I learned a bit about debugging on linux and the stupid ways people try to secure data. I had a ton of fun (though I did lose a few tufts of hair)

So now I'm off to aCTF. Check out my post in that forum about teaming up.

Comment

Working...
                X