Hooch Wars -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooch Wars -

I wanted to kill that last thread about beverage creation contest, Hooch is a much better term. (Thanks LK ;)

To re-interate - this would be for custom mixes of homemade shine, tequila, and most other combinations which have the simple effect of causing temp. memory loss. Contestants should bring enough to share with judges, ladies, and some of the crowd. I usually mix up about 2-4 gallons.

Nothing totally illegal, just hooch in a jar, (or in my case a bugsprayer).

Now before you start saying we already got a brew war, well yes that can and is hooch, depending on where you are from. But this aint no brew I'm talking about.

We have been talking about a diff. category for this for years, hell I dont care if its part of brew wars or not, just thought it should be a diff area, and probably not an official contest due to the nature...

Ideas, suggestions..flames...

- Dallas (Friendly neighborhood bar tender)
    +++ Dallas +++

Re: Hooch Wars -

Is this being organized in coordination with Brew Wars, or entirely seperately? ... I think the two would play well side by side and attract a good number of folk
    if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Last I checked it was illegal to distill your own spirits. I'm sorry but this contest looks to be about as well thought out as a 'bring your best pot plant' contest.

And yes kids, the feds still bust people for distilling. Poor bastard down in Tacoma caught the brunt of the ATF's jackboot about a year ago because some kids got into his shed and found his setup.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Originally posted by noid View Post
        Last I checked it was illegal to distill your own spirits.
        a while back there was legislation proposed by Representative Bart Stupak of Michigan that would have legalized personal stills. don't think it went anywhere, though. at least there's some movement possible in the future.
        "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
        - Trent Reznor

Comment

and thus the short-lived Hooch Wars came to a grinding halt...
          "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

Originally posted by noid View Post
            Last I checked it was illegal to distill your own spirits.
            See below, strait from the ATF:

S3:
            Under Federal rules administered by ATF, it depends on how you use the still. You may not produce alcohol with these stills unless you qualify as a distilled spirits plant (see earlier question). However, owning a small still and using it for other purposes is allowed. You should also check with your State and local authorities - their rules may differ.

A still is defined as apparatus capable of being used to separate ethyl alcohol from a mixture that contains alcohol. Small stills (with a cubic distilling capacity of a gallon or less) that are used for laboratory purposes or for distilling water or other non-alcoholic materials are exempt from our rules.

If you buy a small still and use it to distill water or extract essential oils by steam or water extraction methods, you are not subject to ATF requirements. If you produce essential oils by a solvent method and you get alcohol as a by-product of your process, we consider that distilling. Even though you are using and recovering purchased alcohol, you are separating the alcohol from a mixture -distilling.

S4:
            Under regulations in part 29 of title 27, Code of Federal Regulations, ATF has the right to require manufacturers of stills to give us the name and address of each customer. If we choose to impose this requirement, we inform the manufacturer of the stills by letter.

S5:
            The Internal Revenue Code provides three methods for doing this. First, spirits that are denatured (i.e., treated with substances to make them unsuitable for human beverage consumption) may be used free of tax by a person who holds an industrial use permit. However, no permit is needed to use completely denatured alcohol or an approved article made from denatured spirits. Denatured spirits are suitable in a wide range of industrial applications, from mouthwash to fuel, etc., but not in products for internal human consumption, unless the spirits are removed. Second, undenatured tax-free alcohol may be used by persons such as research laboratories, hospitals, universities, and government agencies, if they hold an industrial use permit. Undenatured tax-free alcohol is prohibited from use in the manufacture of any product for sale. Third, undenatured distilled spirits on which the tax has been paid may be used in the manufacture of medicines, medicinal preparations, food products, flavors, flavoring extracts, and perfume; and then drawback may be claimed. This drawback is similar to a refund; however, the drawback rate is $1 per proof gallon less than the applicable tax rate. The Government keeps the difference. For further information on using distilled spirits in any of these ways, please contact the ATF National Revenue Center at (800) 398-2282.

As for home brew (beer/cider/and the like) there's no problem as long as it falls under the exemption set for that state and the guidelines are followed.

From LexisNexis for NV:
            12-47-106. Exemptions.

(d) Malt liquors produced pursuant to this subsection (2) may be transported and delivered by the producer to any licensed premise where consumption of malt liquors by persons over the age of twenty-one is authorized for use at organized affairs, exhibitions, or competitions, such as home brew contests, tastings, or judgings. Consumption shall be limited solely to the participants in and judges of such events. Malt liquors used for the purposes described in this paragraph (d) shall be served in portions not exceeding six ounces and shall not be sold, offered for sale, or made available for consumption by the general public.
            Last edited by lil_freak; May 24, 2007, 13:20.
            "It is difficult not to wonder whether that combination of elements which produces a machine for labor does not create also a soul of sorts, a dull resentful metallic will, which can rebel at times". Pearl S. Buck

Comment

I read the contest as a contest to *mix* drinks not manufacture alcohol.

If this is about illegal manufacturing of alcohol, we'll have to remove this as a sticky, and close, or remove it.

If this is only about mixing legally purchased alcohol, then it should be fine to remain.

Please provide answers so we can act accordingly.

Thanks

Comment

Since I dont have access to any sort of alcohol analyzer, I would assume for the good of the group, that all materials would be legal...

Mine usually is, I like the shine for the kick, but can work without it..

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
                I read the contest as a contest to *mix* drinks not manufacture alcohol.

If this is about illegal manufacturing of alcohol, we'll have to remove this as a sticky, and close, or remove it.

If this is only about mixing legally purchased alcohol, then it should be fine to remain.

Please provide answers so we can act accordingly.

Thanks
                +++ Dallas +++

Comment

Originally posted by Mixitup View Post
                  Since I dont have access to any sort of alcohol analyzer, I would assume for the good of the group, that all materials would be legal...

Mine usually is, I like the shine for the kick, but can work without it..
                  Ok. I'll leave it as a sticky for a week. If you get it official, and on the Defcon 15 contest page then I will make a contest/event forum for this contest. However, if you are not listed as an event there, then I'll unstick it.

We can't have public plans for illegal activities (especially at Defcon) remain as active conversations on the forums. Sure it stomps on people's fun, but I'd rather see the forums running and the drives remain in use than taken away as evidence for some stupid court case.

In order to have any chance at being accepted, ensure you have checked out the laws involved and find a way to make sure the rules reflect this.

My word on this is not the last word. Any other mod can close this thread if they think there is a rule violation, and they know I would respect their decision to take action as I would respect theirs.

Be careful, and good luck.

Comment

The Whiskey Rebellion: George Washington, Alexander Hamilton, and the Frontier Rebels Who Challenged America's Newfound Sovereignty
                    William Hogeland

a terrific and informative read for anyone interested in the history of distilled spirit taxation with amazing details regarding how the entire tax was crafted by Hamilton specifically with the aim of fucking the poor, rural farmers who used whiskey as a form of currency (at a time when precious little specie was allowed to circulate in the early american west) while rewarding large industrial bottlers.

i have the print version as well as the audiobook if anyone's interested. it's a work of the "stuffy scholarly" style which can be dry at times but is very interesting all the same. well, interesting if you're a political/historical geek like me.
                    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                    - Trent Reznor

Comment

Proposed Rules..

5 judges and 4 from crowd will be chosen at the event.
                      Judges cant participate
                      Contestant should bring 2 or less gallons
                      Must contain only items obtainable legally within vegas.
                      Samples may be provided to the crowd, but must be 21 to sample.
                      All ID's will be checked.
                      May be wise to include 21 or over only..
                      Event should occur at or after 5:00pm
                      Points for container originality (Flask, Milk Jug, ect..)
                      Mix should occur prior to event, and arrive in above container.
                      Points for delivery system. (Custom glass, cup or other methods..)

Locations: Skybox, brew wars, hotel room, pool, parking lot out back?

Awards will be provided (sponsored by the Aristocrats group)
                      +++ Dallas +++

Comment

Proposed Rules..

5 judges and 4 from crowd will be chosen at the event.
                        Judges cant participate
                        Contestant should bring 2 or less gallons
                        Must contain only items obtainable legally within vegas.
                        Samples may be provided to the crowd, but must be 21 to sample.
                        All ID's will be checked.
                        May be wise to include 21 or over only..
                        Event should occur at or after 5:00pm
                        Mix should occur prior to event, and arrive in above container.
                        Points for delivery system. (Custom glass, cup or other methods..)

Locations: Skybox, brew wars, hotel room, pool, parking lot out back?

Awards will be provided (sponsored by the Aristocrats group)
                        For resources like space, you need to talk to Grifter or Russ. (I don't remember if Grifter was dealing with the Skybox assignments or not) Russ is the person for new contests and events as well as space and resources for contests and events. I replied to your PM. Read the threads from Russ. Even if you are accepted, you might be too late for being added to the DC15 program (paper pamphlet about DC15 given to us at registration.)

As for space, if there is space left, the "pickings" might be slim.

Comment

Hookers Crotch (tm) ?
                          if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

69 points - at least

Originally posted by converge View Post
                            Hookers Crotch (tm) ?
                            +++ Dallas +++

Comment

Working...
                            X