X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the_greatergood
    replied
    Re: Urban Survival Training

The Herring trip was an interesting vacation through a century worth of time and space, seeing everything from the old, to what Mr. Goodrich was hoping would be the new.

As for your story, bloofar, it sounds like an interesting one in itself. I've seen that episode of Cowboy Bebop so that fridge definitely sounds like a reason to go, just to poke at the mold.

Such oddities in life can only be understood by those that put them there, otherwise it wouldn't be an oddity. Yet it is our job to find out what we can so they are slightly less odd.

Leave a comment:

• bloofar
    replied

Neat pictures. Thanks for sharing.

I especially like the metal lamp shade in pic #42.

A few months back I went through the old YMCA building in town that is scheduled for demolition. Most of the rooms were completely empty (strangely, one room had a stack of maybe 15 Dell P-II minitowers). One room had a huge cast iron safe which I eventually cracked. Inside were keys for all over the building, including one for the attic. The attic seems to have collected random things from the last hundred years or so (it's a really old building). Photographs, props from plays, costumes, etc. It was like a time capsule.

In the basement one room was making a mechanical noise (there was still electricity in the building at the time). The door was locked but it had a louvered vent on the bottom which we removed. Inside was an ancient refridgerator. Through scientific methods (rock paper scissors) my buddy was chosen to open it. Have you ever seen the episode of Cowboy Bebop where something forgotten in the fridge gained sentient life? It was something like that. The building had been abandoned for at least 5 years before we got there. No telling what had originally been in the fridge. All that remained were mountains of technicolored mold covering every surface.

Urban spelunking forever!

Leave a comment:

• philomath
    replied

It was Amazing, We had a 45 min wait as mr Goodrich had forgot about us. I called him and he came out. He was very prepared and had a presentation for us on were he was hopping the building would go in the future. Here are some links to my video and some of my pics.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2iqjCFZOGE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oKFMWRts28

http://community.webshots.com/user/PHILOMATHDC806

Leave a comment:

• bloofar
    replied

So how'd it go?

Leave a comment:

• philomath
    replied

I haven't heard anything from The owner so I am guessing all is still a go for this morning I will see you all there.

Leave a comment:

• the_greatergood
    replied

Awesome. I'll be giving a shot at rounding up a place for exploration at some point, but I have been swamped with things. Things are looking up though! haha. Can't wait for tomorrow! See all of you there.

Leave a comment:

• philomath
    replied

Got a quick peek at the old saints building sunday and it is sick!! A friend is trying to pull some strings. Cross your fingers This building is so huge!

Leave a comment:

• philomath
    replied

Sorry im so late posting this, Momma had my plastic and I had to chase her around the mall :( To recap we are set up to go into the Herring building next Saturday the 21st. we are to meet on the north side of the building, we can drive down the alley and park inside the gate. We will need flashlight's and your camera If you like. If you have a high power spotlight please bring it if possible as a professional photographer is going to be there with us and he would like to do some photographing in the basement of a historical mural. I informed him that we would try to help him out if we could provide enough light. Mr Goodrich has told me that he didn't want to stay to long, maybe a hour or two so this will probably be a hit and run event. Sorry I tried to get us a longer timespan. He did warn me if something happen he reserved the right to cancel or reschedule , so please check back here Saturday morning to make sure everything is still a all go!

Leave a comment:

• wardog
    replied

Good news! Urban exploration is set for Saturday 21st at 10:00 am - More
    information to follow..

Also - Another Dc806 group meeting also on Saturday 21st at 2:00 pm..

Leave a comment:

• Nameless
    replied

Thats this Saturday, I get to show off my new laptop, can't wait!

Leave a comment:

• wardog
    replied

Not much lately.. I'm out of town using a 'borrowed' connection.. I will be back
    in time for this months meeting on July 14th..

Leave a comment:

• the_greatergood
    replied

Ah hah! Plenty of pictures will be taken that I am sure of.

So what's been going on lately fellas? Anything interesting happen?

Leave a comment:

• Nameless
    replied

Yes, it would be fun, but unfortunately, I will be unavailable from the 19th to the 28th. So if yall go then take lots of pics so I can have an idea of what it was like. XD

Leave a comment:

• wardog
    replied

I've talked with BigE - he is aware of a couple of the entrances - so we can
    also look at the tunnels for another month..

Leave a comment:

• the_greatergood
    replied

Awesome work. A trip sometime in July with the whole group sounds like great plan. Get as many pictures as we can and hang out.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X