This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toxic BBQ IV Official Announcement

Get your spatulas ready – the Toxic BBQ is back once again for another year of grilled goodness. Held annually, the Toxic BBQ is a pre-conference event where attendees are encouraged to socialize and chow down on whatever the grill masters have to offer. Although not required, attendees are encouraged to bring some sort of item with them to the BBQ. Understanding that this is not always possible, monetary donations will be accepted through PayPal. Money received from donations will be used to purchase items such as hamburgers, hotdogs, condiments, cutlery, plates, etc for general use and consumption. Any money left over will be donated to a charitable organization (such as the Hacker Foundation) and used to cover costs for next years BBQ.

General information is as follows:

Date: Thursday, August 2nd.
    Time: 3:00PM – 10:00PM
    2601 E Sunset Rd
    Las Vegas, NV 89120
    Park Area: "A"

Additional information can be found at the official Toxic BBQ website – http://www.toxicbbq.com

Edit: The Official Toxic BBQ FAQ has been completed. It can be accessed at the following address: http://www.toxicbbq.com/faq.php
    Last edited by GodMinusOne; June 19th, 2007, 14:17. Reason: Added additional information
    You're either on my side or else you're in the way.

Re: Toxic BBQ IV Official Announcement

Great work fearless leader.

Question:
    http://www.toxicbbq.com/
    and
    http://www.toxicbbq.com/location.php
    say, "Right smack in the center" ... (of Sunset park.)

I seem to remember talk of a different location from last year. Will we be at the same location as last year?

The FAQ mentions Area A in Sunset Park.

Area A on the P&R Park Area Page looks like the same areas we used the past 3 years.
    Last edited by TheCotMan; June 19th, 2007, 12:44.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
      I seem to remember talk of a different location from last year. Will we be at the same location as last year?

The FAQ mentions Area A in Sunset Park.

Area A on the P&R Park Area Page looks like the same areas we used the past 3 years.
      At this point in time we are going to be setting up at the same area that has been used for the past three years. Less confusion, it has served us well, and its located in the center of the park away from main roads (draws less attention from outsiders), etc. I'll update the official announcement to reflect the designated area.
      You're either on my side or else you're in the way.

Comment

I was wondering if you can have "assistants" in the cook off that are not defcon attendees? I live here in Vegas and I wanted to join the cook off, but am unsure if I will meet anybody to be on a team with, rather than doing it all by myself.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jdcrow View Post
          I was wondering if you can have "assistants" in the cook off that are not defcon attendees? I live here in Vegas and I wanted to join the cook off
          that would probably work, as long as your total team size is not more than three people. (are you asking about the Titanium Chef competition or something else?)

your sous chefs can be con attendees or not, but realize that there may be some mention and recognition of the winners during the closing ceremony and your teammates wouldn't be able to be there with you if they're not badge-holders.
          "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
          - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
            that would probably work, as long as your total team size is not more than three people. (are you asking about the Titanium Chef competition or something else?)

your sous chefs can be con attendees or not, but realize that there may be some mention and recognition of the winners during the closing ceremony and your teammates wouldn't be able to be there with you if they're not badge-holders.
            Yes it would be for the Titanium Chef competition. Yes, of course I would keep the team under 3 members. I just don't know anyone who I can cook with well that is a hacker here. I just want to make sure that by bringing in a non-attendee whether it would disqualify me or not. If it would, then I would have to accept the challenge of finding 2 unknown partners or going solo.

I also would understand they not being able to attend the ceremony. Anyone else I know here isn't much into the culture so they wouldn't mind much, I suppose. Either way I just wanted to clarify.

----

Otherwise, if anyone is looking for a partner in the competition I am looking for a team or to start one.

Comment

I just want to make sure that by bringing in a non-attendee whether it would disqualify me or not.
              nah, you're totally fine doing that. of course, other people may call shenanigans on you if you happen to be friends with Cat Cora or Masaharu Morimoto or someone else similarly famous and daunting in the kitchen.
              "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
              - Trent Reznor

Comment

Masaharu Morimoto is my hero, I think that if he was my friend people might call shenanigans, but they would soon get over it seeing as a real Iron Chef were there.

So outside assistance is acceptable unless of course they are a world renowned chef, then they must be an attendee

I suppose I will try my best to find others at the Con to cook with before looking for outside assistance.

So this is a Shout out to Sensei Morimoto to come to Defcon and show us all what a real competition..

The only question would be is Bobby Flay allowed? I know that him and Morimoto are "friends" but still?

Comment

The only question would be is Bobby Flay allowed?
                  heh, yes.. but he'd be on his own when it comes to the very real risk of humiliation, scorn, and general flaming that tends to be a part of the appearance of any person with a big head and inflated ego at defcon.
                  - Trent Reznor

Comment

Who knows, maybe if he does show, we can always add him to the list of mystery meat... might be a bit gamey though.

Comment

Area A...I like that. Sort of Area 51ish.

Comment

Working...
                      X