Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New teams, those unsure if they can compete...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New teams, those unsure if they can compete...

- OK I have received a few emails over the past few days from people unsure if they can/should compete. So I'd like to address the most common issues here:

* The contest is open to anyone, teams are encouraged
    * Last year a walk-on team won the competition
    * The contest is structured as to make it accessible to most Defcon attendees
    * The contests are at the heart of what Defcon is about IMHO.

I would encourage you to enter if you are interested, but sitting there questioning your skill set. (If you weren't interested, you wouldn't be thinking about it now would you?)

Most of all: this contest is designed to be FUN. As last year's teams.

I look forward to messing with your mind soon!

LosT

Re: New teams, those unsure if they can compete...

Originally posted by LosT View Post
    I look forward to messing with your mind soon!
    Dude, the contest hasn't even started and you're already messing with my mind.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

I am still getting emails from those unsure about the competition:

*You are encouraged to find a few friends, and join the contest
      *Skills that 'helped' last year: lockpicking, physical hacking, social engineering, riddle/puzzle solving, electronics (such as reading a schematic and familiarity with a breadboard, etc)
      *The contest will be longer this year, but should not take up all of your time at con

Again, I encourage you to ask those who competed last year (either here on the forums or via email) about your concerns prior to registering.

Last note: this is a hacker community- I've had too many emails from people 'unsure' about things- hell, that is half the fun!

Soon this will be a non-issue, since the slots are starting to fill up. I had to turn away teams last year- and after the fact there were many teams upset that they didn't get to participate in the coolest contest ever...

Now, I've got to go talk to Kenji....

LosT

Comment

Not knowing what the contest is going to be is part of the contest! It Is the MYSTERY challenge after all...
        "All are gone, all but one"

Comment

There was a comment at Shmoo con overheard about my rabid contest participation. It was about the fact that if I'm involved in a contest, I have a statistically good chance of winning.

I have to admit that most of the time I have no idea what I'm doing and I get lucky and get a prize, but in the end I'm better for it having learned something from the challenge and a better understanding of my own capabilities.

To all those on the fence: Join! The more you participate, the more you learn and the more chance you have of winning!
          Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

Originally posted by LosT View Post
            Again, I encourage you to ask those who competed last year (either here on the forums or via email) about your concerns prior to registering.
            As LosT says, ask away. Those of thus that competed last year has a blast. (Even if our team's illustrious victory was snatched from us... ) Many of last year's competitors -myself included- are willing to answer questions about it.

Join in! It really is a cool contest!

(You can slip me that $5 anytime, LosT. )
            Thorn
            "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

It is like Wheel of Fish, but there is something inna-da-box (in the box) so nobody should feel stupid by choosing to find out what is inna da box. (Reference to UHF, the movie.)

Choose the box! It is better than the Red Snappah! (Snapper)

Last year I was a spectator, and I will do the same this year. Now I have a cheap 8 MegaPixel camera and will try to capture events like this if teams will permit me to photograph them. I won't be able to hit all of the teams, but I'll hit a few.

Comment

Wouldn't it be a pisser if the box he hands us is entirely a red herring that is impossible to open, while the clues dictate where teams can find/obtain the actual contest box?

I'll be the first to admit how little I know about a LOT of things.. but these are fun contests and one of the best ways to learn by far. Even if you know absolutely nothing about the contest, grab a team of folks and join in, having trouble.. then just hunt down the nearest defcon nerd and annex their wisdom! good times.
                if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Working...
                X