Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHS hacked over 800 times

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070620/...puter_security

Can't say I'm surprised, but this seems indicative of an overall trend going on there
    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
    [ redacted ]

Re: DHS hacked over 800 times

much as i love articles that expose government incompetence, i call "super duper shenanigans" on this. let's examine some key phrases and try to dissect the truth amid the fluff...

senior officials acknowledged to Congress.
    the fact that the article's source isn't some leaked internal memo but rather congressional testimony says "funding request" to me in big, bold letters. i think that the root of this "800 times" figure is a budgetary allocation request... a "look at how we don't have the resources to do our job" type of argument.

also, the figure encompasses...
    more than 800 hacker break-ins, virus outbreaks and other computer security problems. ... computer workstations... were infected with malicious software detected trying to communicate with outsiders; laptops were discovered missing; and agency Web sites suffered break-ins. (emphasis mine)
    so they're basically counting every single time that anything went wrong ever in the slightest way... from actual rootkits to some dickhead installing Bonzi Buddy.

chief information officer, Scott Charbo, assured lawmakers his organization was working to prevent such problems. "We need to increase our vigilance to ensure that such incidents do not happen again," Charbo wrote in testimony prepared for Wednesday's hearing. The subcommittee's chairman, Rep. Jim Langevin, D-RI, said break-ins to government computer networks and theft of information are "one of the most critical issues confronting our nation, and we must deal with this threat immediately."
    again, i find that to be patently obvious panhandling for tax dollars.

All the problems involved the department's unclassified computer networks, although DHS officials also have acknowledged to lawmakers dozens of incidents they described as "classified spillage," in which secret information was improperly transmitted or discussed over nonsecure e-mail systems.
    so, public computer systems which do not house sensitive data are not always 100% secure? gee, i'm so astonished. the article even blatantly says (down below the fold in the last bloody paragraph) that the only major problems with the truly "secure" systems are seen when morons don't keep data in the secure network. no amount of funding handouts will prevent Bob from Acquisitions from leaving his laptop bag in the airport bar when he's had one too many Mai Tai's while awaiting his taxpayer-funded flight to the Bahamas where a "valuable Congressional information sharing junket" is being held.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Comment

This would actually appear to be a hearing instigated by Congress at the behest of the GAO:

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/200...n_asks_if.html
      45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
      45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
      [ redacted ]

Comment

more than 800 hacker break-ins, virus outbreaks and other computer security problems. ... computer workstations... were infected with malicious software detected trying to communicate with outsiders; laptops were discovered missing; and agency Web sites suffered break-ins.
        Not suprised with a network of that size. But as mentioned before most are either virus outbreaks or policy violations such as software being install that should'nt.

Needless to say any 'sensitive' information would never be on a computer linked to the Internet so who cares if there website was broken into.

Comment

800 times...that they know about.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinobi View Post
            Needless to say any 'sensitive' information would never be on a computer linked to the Internet so who cares if there website was broken into.
            You must not be from around here. Sensive information abounts on networks linked to the Internet.
            DaKahuna

Comment

I guess it depends on the definition of sensitive.

Most Americans would consider their own person SSN to be sensitive information.

If SSN are included as sensitive, there are certainly examples of SSN found on computers networked to the Internet, as well as laptops taken home by employees.

Actually, it wasn't too long ago, when LANL misplaced some hard drives, (which later mysteriously turned up outside the vault) and previously, a laptop (which was just taken home by an employee, though I have not found a link to this story yet. I might be confusing a missing LANL laptop with this story.) LLNL also had some problems, not so long ago, where employees took work home with them, to work from home. (Though I can't find this article either.)

Agree on a definition for sensitive with examples, and let's see where this goes. :-)
              Last edited by TheCotMan; June 21, 2007, 20:43.

Comment

I geuss 'sensitive' was a bit vague. Thats me!

An intelligence report for example that might come under secret/top secret would'nt be on an externally connected machine that is stuck onto the Internet. If it was someone would be getting 'das boot'.

Comment

Heads should roll for "classified spillage." There is no excuse for it to happen, ever.
                  "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

This shouldn't suprise anyone. If they can't secure thier own headquarters from theft, odds are they can't secure thier network either.

TSA loses Drive
                    Last edited by BeefyMcNasty; June 23, 2007, 21:32. Reason: fat fingers
                    I prefer liberty with danger than peace with slavery

Comment

Working...
                    X