NYC considering permits for photography and film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYC considering permits for photography and film

i figured this would apply to our community given the number of shutterbugs that we have here. that, plus the whole "right to photograph/film in public" is a topic we've discussed before

City May Seek Permit and Insurance for Many Kinds of Public Photography
    Some tourists, amateur photographers, even would-be filmmakers hoping to make it big on YouTube could soon be forced to obtain a city permit and $1 million in liability insurance before taking pictures or filming on city property, including sidewalks.
    ok, i've read the whole article twice now and i still don't have the slightest grasp of what this measure is supposed to accomplish, aside from giving the state a little bit more wiggle room when it comes to harassing young and/or brown people who have cameras near government buildings, landmarks, or subways. and would any of our legal minds care to explain to me why this isn't laughably unconstitutional on its face?
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: NYC considering permits for photography and film

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
    ...i still don't have the slightest grasp of what this measure is supposed to accomplish...
    This just in!
    "New Yorkers hate tourists! Film at 11!"

If this is enforced, I hope tourists stay out of New York. Let's see how long New York can manage without tourism, conventions, and people visiting it to drop money on hotels, and other resources paid for by tourists.

Maybe this is a joke... I hope it is a joke.

Comment

Funny, on 9/11 the government was crying for any pictures that anyone had taken that day in case it may show something. So next time something happens and we turn in pictures, we are admitting to a crime? Why don't they say every American needs to take pictures?

PHOTOGRAPHY IS NOT A CRIME.

Comment

i think that this or something like it has been posted in a similar thread before, but it's not a bad idea i suppose to drop in a link to the well-known Photographer's Rights page which summarizes the laws well and has links to some other resources, too.
        "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
        - Trent Reznor

Comment

Working...
        X