NoteBooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NoteBooks

I am on a very limited budget and need a notbook something 700 mhz plus. reg cd rom is an ok.

actually, I know someone who picked up a celeron, 700 or 800 over here for between $500 and $700. If your budget is more limited than that, your gonna have to look into older models off ebay... and even then
    if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

whoa!

Why do you need such a powerful laptop? I have a friend who has a ibm thinkpad 600x @ 500mhz (pIII) with about 196mb ram total... It works wonders for about everything she does. If you are running a unix on it thats more than enough power.

But good places to look:

http://www.craigslist.org/
      http://www.stealitback.com/
      http://auctions.yahoo.com/
      http://www.ebay.com/

Craigs List is probably the best place. The main www for craigs' is for San Francisco but there are other satellite CL's for other major metro areas.

Hope that helps,
      simon
      "I'm not a robot like you. I don't like having disks crammed into me... unless they're Oreos, and then only in the mouth."

Comment

i run

If id get a laptop id get windows and free bsd on it.

Comment

EWWWWWW windows, LINUX or UNIX

run like linux mandrake, and windows 98 or 2000 pro. then youll have both as options.

YAY
          "We are the all singing, all dancing, crap of the world"-Fight CLub

Comment

OSes

I never could get FreeBSD working with my laptop, the only things is recognizxed were the monitor and keyboard, the mouse and network never worked.

I wish SUN would make a Sparc laptop, then we'd have something.

Comment

I believe that Sun did make a Sparkbook or something along those lines. They discontinued it because they had too many problems and they were not, at the time, interested in making low end solutions. The company I used to work for had a few of these come through, but I don't remember what they were called specifically.

simple3

Comment

Yeah....they were SparcBooks. I actually have an SparcBook 3. I picked it up for free from a guy I helped out with some stuff. Makes a nice addition to the C-64, Trash 80 wall of shame.
                perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Sparc Books

We used to use those at one of my "prior employers" for assessments. They're pretty cool.

Comment

laptops

really all you would need is at least a 200mhz, 32mgram and a nic, ive gone through three laptops now two of which were 486's, i am personally looking for at least a 300mhz, which you can ebay for around 350-500 bucks, even a 200 is plenty of power to get you fav. distro and win2k going, just make sure to get an rj45 nic and an 802.11b nic. hey i even got slack on my old 75mhz lappy, i took like 14 floppies and was hell but hey it was functional. just dont do what i did and trade your P.O.S. laptop for a sparc5 at dc9, then you'll be wondering around with a 50lb sparc wishing you were on the network. well what im trying to say is dont waste your time and money trying to find a superfast lappy, your not gonna find a 700mhz machine for less than $600 unless the screen has a 4inch hole in the middle of it.
                    -h3adrush;)
                    ARRR!

Comment

I would hold off for a little while on buying any wireless gear. If you're buying one for defcon make sure you can return it. It seems to me that some of the major industry players are going to be pushing a new standard real hard within a year. I think I heard Intels next form factor, to replace ATX, is being designed with 802.11a in mind, I'm not sure how. Anyway while 802.11b may be backwards compatible, you may want to hold off on buyng a few hundred dollars worth of equipment(between ap's and cards) until the next standard is decided. It will likely be more permanant for various reasons (they are addressing the problems people have had using 802.11b). Not that my opinion has any value, just throwing that thought out there.

simple3

Comment

802.11b cards

yes that is a really good idea, i got my 802.11b card for 37 bucks though which is the best deal ive ever seen on them, besides i need all the hardware anyways, but if you dont holding off would be very smart.
                        -h3adrush
                        ARRR!

Comment

I built my Sparcbook 3 with Solaris 2.4 and connected it to my network tonight. I was thinking about bringing it out to DC with me this year if anyone is interested in seeing/playing with it. If so, let me know...if there is no interest, I will just leave it here rather than lug it across the country.

Comment

I'm always interested in seeing new hardware, are you running Solaris on it, or have you put something else on? Or is it sitting around collecting dust?
                            R.J.
                            "All the subtlety of a chainsaw,
                            with none of the social graces."

Comment

Originally posted by R.J.
                              I'm always interested in seeing new hardware, are you running Solaris on it, or have you put something else on? Or is it sitting around collecting dust?
                              Uhhh....when I said I built it with Solaris 2.4 and put it on my network I assumed that meant that I was running Solaris on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X