Deposit for incidentals at the riv?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deposit for incidentals at the riv?

Does anyone know what amount the Riviera "holds" (a.k.a. pre-authorizes) one's debit/credit card as a deposit for incidentals? If requested to disable the phone and allow no charges back to the room, will they comply and waive said deposit?

What about cash-only transactions?

The best answer I could get from their (seemingly very busy) reservations staff was "I think it's about $100." I'm wondering if anyone knows from experience.
    -souterrain

Re: Deposit for incidentals at the riv?

Originally posted by souterrain View Post
    Does anyone know what amount the Riviera "holds" (a.k.a. pre-authorizes) one's debit/credit card as a deposit for incidentals? If requested to disable the phone and allow no charges back to the room, will they comply and waive said deposit?

The best answer I could get from their (seemingly very busy) reservations staff was "I think it's about $100." I'm wondering if anyone knows from experience.
    i think that in the hotel industry it's standard for them to hold one night's room rate amount which is charged during check-in. i don't see how they would waive this since even if you had no phone and in room TV service you could still light the place on fire or throw furniture around and break it, etc.

and, not to sound weird or inquisitive... but why do you care? if it's on a credit card it's not real money until the statement comes due which would be ages after defcon is over and the funds are thus deposited back.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
      ... and, not to sound weird or inquisitive... but why do you care? if it's on a credit card it's not real money until the statement comes due which would be ages after defcon is over and the funds are thus deposited back.
      Some people will be charging Rental cars which can include a per day pre-authorization, or insurance adjustment pre-auth for far more than the cost of the rental car. Each hotel can have similar. The pre-auth can add up quickly making your available credit smaller each time. For some people with small credit limits, this can be a problem.
      (This came up several years ago for some people, but I can't thind their posts.)

Comment

The amount held back for car rentals can be substantial. The problem is worse when people use debit cards instead of credit cards. In these cases, the amount held must be present in your bank account. Problems also occur for people who use Collateralized credit cards.
        --bc,

Comment

Well, you may want to be prepared to have the entire amount of the stay held as an authorization on your credit card/debit card, plus $100-200, minus the first night's deposit.

Cash only....most hotels will require the entire amount up-front plus more money for incidentals...IF they take cash only (they can't trace you via cash if you trash the room).

Ofcourse, to get a better idea, you should call them, but be prepared for them to hold the entire amount of the stay on a card, despite what you are told.

Originally posted by souterrain View Post

While you would never turn your back on an enemy for obvious reasons, only a friend can backstab you.

Comment

You can call this hotel 3 times in a row - 15 minutes apart, and get 3 different answers if its a different person.

For multiple nights, the deposit required ended up was $95.00 + tax. (one night stay in advanced) charged to a credit card.
            Same will probably apply to any credit card reservation that doesn't include a rental.
            Synapses, the spaces between neurons, are the channels through which our most fundamental traits, preferences, and beliefs are encoded. In short, they enable each of us to function as a single, integrated individual
            -A synaptic self- from moment to moment, from year to year

Comment

Originally posted by Synapse View Post
              You can call this hotel 3 times in a row - 15 minutes apart, and get 3 different answers if its a different person.
              Sometimes you can also get the same person who gives you a different answer when you call again too.

Which is why I hope we still have a room reserved when we show up.
              "It is difficult not to wonder whether that combination of elements which produces a machine for labor does not create also a soul of sorts, a dull resentful metallic will, which can rebel at times". Pearl S. Buck

Comment

Originally posted by lil_freak View Post
                Sometimes you can also get the same person who gives you a different answer when you call again too.

Which is why I hope we still have a room reserved when we show up.
                hah, no doubt.
                I wanted a confirmation via email, and they said they would send it. but never came.
                I plan to call again beforehand to confirm the confirmation.
                Synapses, the spaces between neurons, are the channels through which our most fundamental traits, preferences, and beliefs are encoded. In short, they enable each of us to function as a single, integrated individual
                -A synaptic self- from moment to moment, from year to year

Comment

Working...
                X