DC15 Network Stats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC15 Network Stats

We didn't get to present stats & fun stuff at the Closing Ceremonies - but I wanted to get it up for you guys anyway - see http://www.defconnetworking.org/ - the link is on the main page for ya'll.

Lock

Re: DC15 Network Stats

next year will folk be sure to have the OTB/0TB contest network better connected up to the general link? that was the only thing i experienced as a difficulty... i knew something was wrong when even my wickedly-outdated Win2K server remained un-0wned. heh, but i'm not above a little shamelessness and may attempt to just chalk that up to my wicked defense-fu.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Comment

I'm surprised I didn't get harassed more on the wifi also.

I had some problems where I'd associate with a "DefCon" access point in some rooms, get a dhcp lease on it that was a 10.xxx ip, but wouldn't get to any of the internets. I assumed those were rogue aps.

I also never saw the MITM ssh warning, I was surprised at that. I went through some of the logs of the machines I ssh'd into, and didn't see any weirdness of people attacking them either.

Comment

Lock, thanks for posting the slides! I always look forward to them myself.

Deviant, as far as the OTB connectivity, Lock and Heather were a HUGE help, as was the the DCNetworking team as a whole -- we talked a lot about what kind of traffic to expect, but it's kind of a strange use case in that a lot of the kind of traffic the wireless gear is set up to prevent we wanted to get. The most common complaint I got was that folks could ping and do slow-and-low scans but not a quick scan of the whole subnet, so my guess is some other bits were still on.

That said, I elected not to bug the NOC about the issue because I felt they had many, many, more important things to worry about. So, we posted an SSID and had a small network in the hall for people to throw things at. I have no idea at this point what next year will hold, so we'll see what folks come up with once we've all got a good sleep surplus built back up.

Thanks for a great con, all. As usual.

Now... Sleep.
        "Raise a toast to ... I think he might have been our only decent ."

Comment

Yeah, it's hard running a hacking contest over a public wifi network that you've spent year trying to make hack-proof :)

Next year I hope we can start talking sooner (4-6 months pre-con) so we can figure things out in the design much earlier. We'll have to find a way to segment off an "Evil VLAN" for you guys running hacking contests on. Naturally, ethernet is easier to deal with than wifi in that scenario...but we'll see what we can do :)

Cheers!
          Lock

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed View Post
            Yeah, it's hard running a hacking contest over a public wifi network that you've spent year trying to make hack-proof :)

Next year I hope we can start talking sooner (4-6 months pre-con) so we can figure things out in the design much earlier. We'll have to find a way to segment off an "Evil VLAN" for you guys running hacking contests on. Naturally, ethernet is easier to deal with than wifi in that scenario...but we'll see what we can do :)

Cheers!
            Lock
            Ooh! Oooh! Can I be on the Evil VLAN? Pleeeez???

If we do something next year I promise to begin my campaign of email harassment of everyone far earlier. Really I have no idea at this point what if anything we'll do, but lesson number one is start way, way early.
            "Raise a toast to ... I think he might have been our only decent ."

Comment

Working...
            X