This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An open letter to this year's teams:

(Team leads who receive this email: Please forward to all of your team members on my behalf?)

First of all, thank you. I hope you all had an enjoyable time with the competition. I understand there was some frustration at the start with the initial crypto. It is interesting to note that everyone had *different* sticking points. As some of you have noted, the A=1 vs. A=0 really threw some people off. (Interesting to note that A=1 is a more 'traditional' use of a one time pad...)- Some teams were also using XOR based one time pad progs they had found on the web, as opposed to simple addition.

ANY team who completed the challenge this year will be guaranteed a spot next year, should they choose to compete.

Next year promises to have a different feel than these past two years.

Things that I would appreciate:

1. Please send any pictures you may have, preferably zipped to LosT]at[LostboY.net

2. Please send links to any articles, blogs or websites that you find/put up that describe, mention or refer to the contest.

3. Please tell a friend- I'm trying to grow the contest next year, and once again I had way too many "I never heard about this until it was over" type comments.

4. IF POSSIBLE (read: if you have time) please jot down notes about your team's method of attack, way of thinking about the problems, frustrations, or any other observations you had (it helps me to see things from your perspective as participants)-

5. Any suggestions or comments you may have after the fact (please try to distinguish #4 from #5)

Well done, my hat is off to all of you for sticking to it.

My deepest thanks to those of team Everyone who graciously awarded me with the black badge.

This my friends is how to continue to build the hacker community. Friendship to you all.

See you next year,

LosT

Re: An open letter to this year's teams:

On a side note:

Watch MysteryChallenge.org for updates, and walk-throughs for the past mystery challenges.

LosT

Comment

Re: An open letter to this year's teams:

Originally posted by LosT View Post
      As some of you have noted, the A=1 vs. A=0 really threw some people off. (Interesting to note that A=1 is a more 'traditional' use of a one time pad...)
      Well, there was such a thing as being too clever. I tried a few variations where I took the letter 'E' out and used modulo 25 to little success. I'm not sure what's "traditional" but I've only worked with A=0 (probably because it requires less attention to write computer software for). The main reason I ended up trying A=1 is because that is the algorithm detailed in Schneier's book.

Some teams were also using XOR based one time pad progs they had found on the web, as opposed to simple addition.
      I was in that camp, but, again, it probably has something to do with a computer-based background.

4. IF POSSIBLE (read: if you have time) please jot down notes about your team's method of attack, way of thinking about the problems, frustrations, or any other observations you had (it helps me to see things from your perspective as participants)
      I'll work on that. I will note that we might not have finished the contest if you had looped the wires around the pipe as opposed to connecting the wires and then looping them through the pipe. We never got the bottom open, but one astute observer noted that we didn't need to strictly follow your rules.
      Last edited by Voltage Spike; August 9, 2007, 09:56.

Comment

Working...
      X