Defcon 16 ideas!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defcon 16 ideas!

Ideas for next year! Please let me know if you have any ideas or complaints, now is the time to modify the contest!

http://defconbots.org/defcon16/ideas.php

Kallahar
    --- The fuck? Have you ever BEEN to Defcon?

Re: Defcon 16 ideas!

Originally posted by kallahar View Post
    Ideas for next year! Please let me know if you have any ideas or complaints, now is the time to modify the contest!

http://defconbots.org/defcon16/ideas.php

Kallahar
    Excellent idea to ask for ideas about your contest while it is fresh in people's minds. :-)

It was excellent for you to have your contest just below the Skybox for the chillout space. This allowed the crowd of people to see it from the floor and the chill-out space and let more people watch. It was also great to see Russ' organization to have the stage near both Lost's Mystery Box and the LPCon so people could stand on the stage and allow even more people to see these contests and announcements at the beginning of these contests. (Insert praise to Russ for the Contest Area Organizaion.)

If you can arrange to keep the same location below the chillout skybox, that would be great!

Use of the video on the side wall was a great. Keep that included next year too.

Suggestions to try for next year:
    If teams are willing, let them jack-in their SVGA port to another video projector so we can see what they see on their screen and how their software work, when providing a tethered robot. (If you had this, I may not have seen it when a team was running.)

(When we make the DC16 Contests/Events section, please remind me to move this over to the forum for Defcon Robots in the DC1 section if I forget to move it over myself. Once I move it, I should delete this comment from my reminder post.)

Comment

What if you borrow a scoring rule from Hacker Jeopardy?

5 points for each beer consumed before the 2:00 minute limit.

Comment

I'm strongly against the handicapping idea. I'm also sad to hear that people won't compete just because they won't win. People should compete because this is the most bad ass robotics project they've ever seen!

Instead, I propose we create side games that get some sort of prize. Like an award for the cheapest build, or the sexiest build. You could even have a contest to see who could use a joystick to shoot down the targets the quickest. I think that would be intriguing, and would create some fun competition.

Lastly, I prefer the current arena to a dueling tree. But keep me updated on your thoughts

Comment

I thought this would prevent the 'targets flipping up after being hit too hard' problem:
          ยง

Comment

Yeah, though targets flipping back up made it an extra challenge :) And I don't tihnk anyone actually lost because of that, it just slowed down octopi. We could do separate prizes, but we only get one black badge for the entire contest. Perhaps we could divide up the other swag though.

Hopefully if I can get this kit together it will level the playing field a bit, if the hardware is capable of 16 seconds then that's pretty competetive.

Kallahar
            --- The fuck? Have you ever BEEN to Defcon?

Comment

Great contest! I wasn't able to compete this year, but I hope to pull it off next year.

One idea from other robot competitions is to have a pit area that allows the competitors space to set up their stuff and have easy access back and forth to the competition arena without having to fight through the crowd.

The area between the arena and the wall with the projector image might work well for that, just add some more stanchions to block off that area with an open path to the tables.

Comment

wee!! I finally get to post!!

Hopefully next year I'll have a group together and we'll be able to compete.

That said, looking forward, I dont really like the idea of including a handicap. I see the current dominating team as a benchmark and a challenge to beat. Also, if Octopi keeps going, they're just going to get better.

Sounds like a difficult task :)

I like the shooting tree idea, its simple but dynamic enough it might be fun!

here's an evil idea, how about moving targets? Like an old carnival shooting gallery? I am imagining little ducks with bullseyes moving from right to left on one row, and another row has something moving in the opposite direction. 2-3 rows??

It sounds sick, really difficult, and since i'm new to building automated robotics it seems like an unsurmountable task. ya?

Comment

Working...
                X