• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• theprez98
    replied
    Re: WTF is up with guitar hero at Defcon

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
    I think that can be arranged somehow. I offer up my castle for anyone who wishes to have some sleeping space for an overnight stay. While there's a fellow who resides in our guest room now, we have an air mattress and a ton of couches, etc.

That plus the well-stocked bar could == win.
    Once football starts, my weekends fill up fast.

Any preferences for either August 18th or 25th? I expect for me it'll probably be just a day trip, but I'll leave my options open.

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied

Originally posted by theprez98 View Post
    PhillyCheeseSteakCon is on!...if we can find a time suitable for all. Weekend works best for me, too.
    I think that can be arranged somehow. I offer up my castle for anyone who wishes to have some sleeping space for an overnight stay. While there's a fellow who resides in our guest room now, we have an air mattress and a ton of couches, etc.

That plus the well-stocked bar could == win.

Leave a comment:

• theprez98
    replied

Originally posted by DaKahuna View Post
    If you do it on a weekend day, I could be convinced to drive up and join in.
    PhillyCheeseSteakCon is on!...if we can find a time suitable for all. Weekend works best for me, too.

Leave a comment:

• DaKahuna
    replied

I'd seriously consider a day trip to Philly to get a cheesesteak with you guys!
    If you do it on a weekend day, I could be convinced to drive up and join in.

Leave a comment:

• xwred1
    replied

Originally posted by converge View Post
    I actually passed these along to Panadero before con to try and inspire an insane challenge round ... unfortunately PS2 is the limiting factor :/

Decapitated - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkDSzWX_nBo
    Dragonforce - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLufvX1q6Yk
    Whats wrong with the PS2? Does he not have one?

I've got a slimline one.. not modded, but apparently you can mod them just buy putting some plastic clips in certain spots so it'll run with the lid open and then use a swap cd.

I favor the PS2 experience for guitar hero because you can do these custom songs, and you've got THREE official games to choose from vs. just guitar hero 2. Even though the engine in guitar hero 1 gets annoying once you get up to hard/expert play.

On saturday night, me and some friends hooked up my ps2 w/ guitar hero to a public tv in the contest room around 3am.. was anyone in this thread there? We played with a few other people from the con, the security guards and floor manager were watching us play for a little while too. Quit around 6am.

Leave a comment:

• nous
    replied

Ahh yeah...Yuengling Lager is another of my favorites. The brewery tour is so worth it.
    I grew up in Harrisburg. We used to drive past Pottsville on the way to see family in the coal region, but it never occured to me to take the tour. That's an idea for a day trip with my baby brother when I go visit (super soon!). Thanks!

And, uh, to get back on topic - The Guitar Hero thing was cool in that it got a bunch of people together, interacting about a thing. Most geeks/hackers/whatever I know are multi-faceted people, who devote at least some of their time to things that don't involve sitting in front of a screen. Sure, in this case they're standing in front of one, but they're definitely engaging more of their bodies doing it and talking to the people around them. And, as someone who had a new contest this year (the Phreaking Challenge) and who talked with Lost about the challenges of being a new contest, the turnout for the Guitar Hero thing was really impressive. It shows that there's room for light-hearted fun between the serious knowledge stuff and the complete drunken randomness. The only downside, for me, was hearing a few of the same songs over and over again...

Leave a comment:

• lordwud
    replied

So how did everyone skip over the idea for a keyboard guitar hacking contest. i would definitely compete.

As for cheese steaks. I volunteer to take orders, and stop at pats before leaving for the con next year. they can hold up surprisingly well for a few days.

Leave a comment:

• converge
    replied

Originally posted by xwred1 View Post
    People already do custom songs on Guitar Hero w/ modded PS2s:
    I actually passed these along to Panadero before con to try and inspire an insane challenge round ... unfortunately PS2 is the limiting factor :/

Decapitated - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkDSzWX_nBo
    Dragonforce - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLufvX1q6Yk

Leave a comment:

• theprez98
    replied

Originally posted by nous View Post
    There's actually a place in San Jose to get a decent cheesesteak. Called Amato's... the rolls aren't exactly right, but they're the absolute best I've had outside of eastern PA.

I will, however, be enjoying a proper cheesesteak at Citizen Bank ballpark on Sept 8 along with a Yuengling lager and the biggest damn grin... I get all misty just thinking about it.
    Ahh yeah...Yuengling Lager is another of my favorites. The brewery tour is so worth it.

Leave a comment:

• theprez98
    replied

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
    fuckin' A. you win philadelphia.

i haven't been to any of those establishments in ages, it seems. (quite remarkable, some might think, given my stocky frame.) hmm, now i think i want to. HighWiz, up for a late night spin past Pat's one of these days?
    I'd seriously consider a day trip to Philly to get a cheesesteak with you guys!

Leave a comment:

• xwred1
    replied

People already do custom songs on Guitar Hero w/ modded PS2s:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLvTpbg7hSs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zP9i...elated&search=
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kY7_...elated&search=

That would be fucking fun if next year someone showed up with all this stuff ready to go and some burnstation with tons of custom songs. There's alot of them out there, I had a friend burn one once but we coudn't play it because the songs were all expert and we were barely cracking medium at the time.

Leave a comment:

• nous
    replied

They're not even imitators...99% of so-called "Philly" cheese steaks don't even use Cheeze Whiz. I only say 99% instead of 100% because I actually came across one the other day that did!
    There's actually a place in San Jose to get a decent cheesesteak. Called Amato's... the rolls aren't exactly right, but they're the absolute best I've had outside of eastern PA.

I will, however, be enjoying a proper cheesesteak at Citizen Bank ballpark on Sept 8 along with a Yuengling lager and the biggest damn grin... I get all misty just thinking about it.

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied

Originally posted by HighWiz View Post
    Seriously! What the fuck is with people thinking they know what a Philly Cheese Steak is... There are maybe three places in Philly you can get a Real Cheese Steak: Pat's, Geno's and To a lesser extent Jim's.... Beyond that, they're just imitator.
    fuckin' A. you win philadelphia.

i haven't been to any of those establishments in ages, it seems. (quite remarkable, some might think, given my stocky frame.) hmm, now i think i want to. HighWiz, up for a late night spin past Pat's one of these days?

Leave a comment:

• theprez98
    replied

Originally posted by HighWiz View Post
    Seriously! What the fuck is with people thinking they know what a Philly Cheese Steak is... There are maybe three places in Philly you can get a Real Cheese Steak: Pat's, Geno's and To a lesser extent Jim's.... Beyond that, they're just imitator.
    They're not even imitators...99% of so-called "Philly" cheese steaks don't even use Cheeze Whiz. I only say 99% instead of 100% because I actually came across one the other day that did!

Leave a comment:

• Stypica
    replied

Originally posted by DaKahuna View Post
    How did I not know about this. If Diet Mt. Dew counts, diabetic and avoid the real stuff, I'm in for next year!
    Right there with ya... would have considered a diet coke/pepsi chugging contest! well.. if only to get a chance to maybe spew it into LosT's lap =D

Leave a comment:

Working...
X