Your Opionon (on radio selection)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Opionon (on radio selection)

I just am wandering what 2-way frs-gmrs radios people have. I am looking at getting a pair with noaa weather alert built in. It also has a 18 mile range. The brand is Motorola. Tell me what you think and what brands, features you have and look for.

Re: Your Opionon

You can't really go wrong with any radio built by Motorola. I'd highly recommend getting your HAM license and picking up a Yaesu VX-7R. GMRS and FRS is entertaining for a bit, but you can do a lot more with a good HAM rig.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Originally posted by noid View Post
      You can't really go wrong with any radio built by Motorola. I'd highly recommend getting your HAM license and picking up a Yaesu VX-7R. GMRS and FRS is entertaining for a bit, but you can do a lot more with a good HAM rig.
      Agreed, the HAM license really is so easy to get these days. I went from the old tech+ to extra class in the course of about three months. When the test banks are already out there, it just isn't that difficult.
      "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

Originally posted by wfs29223 View Post
        I just am wandering what 2-way frs-gmrs radios people have. I am looking at getting a pair with noaa weather alert built in. It also has a 18 mile range. The brand is Motorola. Tell me what you think and what brands, features you have and look for.
        Yes to the suggestions above to get a HAM licence. It'll ultimately do you more good in the long run to have the ability to use more than just the 1990s equivalent to CB.

Having said that, here's my advice regarding FRS/GMRS radios:

- Ignore whatever claims the manufacturer makes regarding range. Yeah, more is better, but there are too many outside factors influencing that particular number that you can pretty much guarantee that you'll never actually achieve it.

- Remember that FRS has a maximum power output of 500mW; GMRS is (IIRC) 5W. FRS and GMRS share seven channels, so any radio operating on the FRS frequencies will automatically drop its power to the 500mW allowed on those channels. Yes, you will get the radio's maximum power output on GMRS, but GMRS does require a licence (mail in a cheque, no test).

- Regarding GMRS licensing: if you operate GMRS without a licence, you probably won't get caught unless you're doing something dumb like pissing off the same GMRS repeater every night from your bedroom. Yes, it is within the repeater operator's right to ask the FCC for an investigation; yes, the FCC will investigate if the level of abuse warrants it; and yes, there have been convictions for GMRS abuse. While I don't advocate operating unlicensed on GMRS, if you're going to do it, don't be a dick.

As far as a brand recommendation goes, I've had good luck with Motorola's FRS and GMRS radios over the past few years; they've been very reliable, with good audio both on transmit and receive and excellent selectivity and sensitivity. Pricing has been good on a cost-to-performance ratio, too. Avoid Cobra, Midland, or Uniden - I have a couple of ultra-basic Unidens I picked up at Home Depot a couple of years ago that have useless selectivity on most channels, though it is interesting to be able to pick up the Sheriffs' dispatch repeaters on them.

Last Friday I picked up a set of Talkabout FV700R radios at Best Buy for $50. They're FRS/GMRS with NOAA weather, come with rechargeable batteries and a cradle charger (which runs on 9V DC, so I can charge the radios in my Jeep using a 12V outlet adapter), and do handsfree, privacy codes, etc. You can probably find them cheaper online, but I had a bunch of rewards points from work to cash in. They seemed to work pretty well up in the mountains this weekend; don't really have a lot else to add.

Comment

Working...
        X