Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wireless Breakouts

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wireless Breakouts

    Did I miss the WIFI breakout sessions somehow? I kept showing up in 209 at the times that they were scheduled for and no one knew anything about them. I was really looking forward to the WPA and WEP breakouts as well as the direction finding one. If I somehow missed them .... my bad. If they didn't happen .... why not?

  • #2
    Re: Wireless Breakouts

    Yeah, we had them, in fact Render did the WPA breakout twice, once on Friday, and a second session on Saturday. Theprez98 did the WEP breakout on Saturday. There was a schedule posted on the wall by the bar area, but it was thrown off several times. The schedules got screwed up a couple of times because of session presenters having a time conflict or too much beer or something. We also had a problem with the VLAN not working until Saturday which delayed some stuff that needed I'net access. Lockhead got it working in short order once we asked, but we'd been reluctant to ask bother the NOC crew on Friday, figuring that they were up to their asses in alligators.

    We held the following sessions:

    Friday:
    WPA Cracking with Render

    Saturday:
    WEP Cracking with theprez98
    PSP Wireless Hacking with Squidly1
    Hiding Rogue APs with Uncle Larry
    RF Direction Finding with Render
    WPA Cracking with Render

    Sunday:
    RFID Locating with Thorn
    Wireless Panel Discussion with Roamer, Al Potter, Bruce and Heide Potter, and Render

    One of the lessons I've learned about next year's Wireless Village: get the schedule firmed-up long before DC, and post it online a minimum of one month before DC. It may not help, but it can't hurt. Juggling the schedule while talking to people about WPA tables or wireless security was tricky.
    Thorn
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Wireless Breakouts

      yeah, we're going to do that, too, in the LP village. perhaps a large sandwich board style sign or something on a large easel outside the skybox door would help? not only would it be easier for folks to figure out which skyboxes were which, but also they could plan their schedules accordingly, even if they arrive when the doors are closed for the night.
      "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
      - Trent Reznor

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Wireless Breakouts

        Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
        yeah, we're going to do that, too, in the LP village. perhaps a large sandwich board style sign or something on a large easel outside the skybox door would help? not only would it be easier for folks to figure out which skyboxes were which, but also they could plan their schedules accordingly, even if they arrive when the doors are closed for the night.
        We planned the easel idea, but mapquest found us the Staples corporate office as opposed to actual store.
        "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Wireless Breakouts

          Sorry I missed them! Would be good to maybe post the times and schedule changes in the Wireless room (209 this year) so that when people check in they know of any forecast changes. It was a great place to chill regardless. Met some great people just hangin' out. I look forward to next year with great antici ....... pation!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Wireless Breakouts

            Originally posted by Alt3R3g0 View Post
            Sorry I missed them! Would be good to maybe post the times and schedule changes in the Wireless room (209 this year) so that when people check in they know of any forecast changes. It was a great place to chill regardless. Met some great people just hangin' out. I look forward to next year with great antici ....... pation!
            This was our first year running the Wireless Village. We had a great time, but we also learned a lot of lessons for next year. We do appreciate the feedback. Everything any anything that can contribute to making next year even better is always appreciated.
            "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Wireless Breakouts

              The riv has tons of easels for the asking, and if you guys (lockpick and wireless village organizers) get me your schedules six weeks or so before con, I can work them in to your signage. We can also look at what would work best for size....

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Wireless Breakouts

                Good deal.

                A lot of planning this year came in the 4th quarter trying to pull things around. We're already starting planning for the new year and will have a few extra ducks to toss in line.

                Unimplemented ideas will hit, partially implemented cool things will be improved, andthe DC 16 Wireless Village will own. Be prepared.

                defconwirelessvillage at gmail
                if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Wireless Breakouts

                  Originally posted by neil View Post
                  The riv has tons of easels for the asking, and if you guys (lockpick and wireless village organizers) get me your schedules six weeks or so before con, I can work them in to your signage. We can also look at what would work best for size....
                  That would be awesome. The skyboxes could really have done with some signage, though I was really impressed with the huge number of people who wandered all the way down the hall for the LPV anyway.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Wireless Breakouts

                    Hopefully the wireless village will have a blue tooth area, since runnerup and I have been working on some cool blue tooth stuff.
                    And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Wireless Breakouts

                      Originally posted by converge View Post
                      Unimplemented ideas will hit, partially implemented cool things will be improved, and the DC 16 Wireless Village will own. Be prepared.
                      similar sentiments could be expressed with respect to the lockpick village.

                      teaching villages at defcon == win.

                      learn, touch, do.
                      "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                      - Trent Reznor

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Wireless Breakouts

                        Originally posted by HighWiz View Post
                        Hopefully the wireless village will have a blue tooth area, since runnerup and I have been working on some cool blue tooth stuff.
                        I've been working on some Bluetooth stuff myself lately, and it is one area that we are definitely hoping to focus on next year.
                        "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Wireless Breakouts

                          Originally posted by neil View Post
                          The riv has tons of easels for the asking, and if you guys (lockpick and wireless village organizers) get me your schedules six weeks or so before con, I can work them in to your signage. We can also look at what would work best for size....
                          That is great news, and something we will definitely include with our planning for next year...which will probably begin next week.
                          "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Wireless Breakouts

                            Originally posted by HighWiz View Post
                            Hopefully the wireless village will have a blue tooth area, since runnerup and I have been working on some cool blue tooth stuff.
                            Yeah, we can definitely do that, Highwiz. Let me know if you or runnerup want to be in on the planning for BT stuff.

                            Originally posted by theprez98 View Post
                            That is great news, and something we will definitely include with our planning for next year...which will probably begin next week.
                            Next week? What about last week, or did you miss the memo? ;)
                            Thorn
                            "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Wireless Breakouts

                              HW,

                              Get ahold of me sometime, Render's going to start working on a couple new projects off the personalwireless.org site and I believe we can fit the BT stuff in there for you also if your interested.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X