Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://techdirt.com/articles/20070820/163914.shtml

NO SHIT

Anyone else who doesn't think the "BLAME MICROSOFT" story holds water?
    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
    [ redacted ]

Re: Skype

Originally posted by bascule View Post
    http://techdirt.com/articles/20070820/163914.shtml

NO SHIT

Anyone else who doesn't think the "BLAME MICROSOFT" story holds water?
    Originally posted by Skype
    Normally Skype’s peer-to-peer network has an inbuilt ability to self-heal, however, this event revealed a previously unseen software bug within the network resource allocation algorithm which prevented the self-healing function from working quickly.
    I don't read it as Skype blaming Microsoft, the "official" Skype explanation suggests that the Windows Update reboots triggered an "unseen software bug". So the way I read it, they seem to be taking responsibility, at least on some level.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

This past winter, a client's SBS2003 server had an issue after an MS security update and reboot. As it turned out, the DNS entries where corrupted, and in looking at some files timestamps it looked like it was around the time of the reboot. Was it MS's or someone else's fault? I don't know, but the client had to deal with the server not dealing correctly with connections until it was discovered and fixed.
      Thorn
      "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

That's the problem when anything is set to "Automatic Update".
        And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

Originally posted by HighWiz View Post
          That's the problem when anything is set to "Automatic Update".
          A very good point. Although most clients don't want to pay me for scheduled maintenance for something they see as being "free" from MS. In the end, they pay me later (and more) to fix it.
          Thorn
          "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

I dont like automatic updates on servers. You never know when some application or bit of code on your production server is going to choke on a patch (and this is OS agnostic, I've seen Solaris/Linux boxes choke up on patches too). I recommend testing the patch on a lab machine for at least 24 hours before deployment. Just make sure your lab machine is a mirror copy of the production server.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Working...
            X